Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

5th Edition Farseers
Old 07 Dec 2009, 18:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe
Default 5th Edition Farseers

What is the most recommended setup for a Farseer in 5th edition?

With all the high Leadership out there amongst units that you'd want to Mind War, I doubt Mind War is very useful.

With the "all blasts will scatter" rule, does Eldritch Storm have to roll scatter?

Seems that the Farseer's been reduced to a shadow of its former self with only three reliable powers in 5th edition.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Dec 2009, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Re: 5th Edition Farseers

Given you can only cast 2 powers a round, and given that the unaffected powers are excellent and powerful, and given that Leadership values haven't really changed much and thus 5th doesn't change Mind War's potency, why is the Farseer that much weaker than its former self? How many 4th edition Farseers were rocking Eldritch Storm as their go-to power? ???
Old 07 Dec 2009, 19:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

With the new codices that have been appearing throughout 4th and early 5th editions, Leadership almost seems to be phasing out of the rules; there's just so much Ld10 and Fearless nowadays. And I get your point about how it's not much different nowadays from a year ago, but I got to thinking, "Eldritch Storm is still pretty potent, but the scatter..." In all honesty, I'll probably never run Mind War or Eldritch Storm of my own volition, but I was merely curious what the common setup is.
Old 07 Dec 2009, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

When I take Eldrad in my Eldar army and I can cast 3 spells a turn, Im almost certain to cast Eldritch storm or Mind War at least once a game. Even if you just have a 50/50 chance of killing an enemy leader with mind war, why not take the chance?

Also, in my last game I blew up a devilfish with Eldritch storm. It can surprise you!
But yeah, 4/5 times I'll cast fortune and doom. With a normal farseer, it's probably not economical to take them.
Old 09 Dec 2009, 06:03   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death

I havnt played any large games but in my normal 1500 pts games i have Eldard and a farseer, Eldard is with a few warlocks in the front line with some banshees, hes there casting Doom/Foutuine on things in combat and aslo great if your about to charge a squad with your banshees and that squad has a power weopon you just mindwar it down . my other farseer has guide and doom, hes for my Dark Reapers!!!! so easy to kill them MEQ
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Dec 2009, 14:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I tried mind war a few times, lets just say I am glad that the enemy doesn't do any wounds back!

Fortune on Flat Out vehicles is awesome.

Then when the bus is done moving, nothing like a little guide and doom to delete a unit.

In fact last game I ran my farseer with guide fortune and doom. Fortune and guide on the way up, guide and doom when in threat range. Expensive maybe but effective. Of course Elrad just kinda breaks the game, so I have never used him (or any other special character).
Old 10 Dec 2009, 19:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I frequently use mindwar against basic troops. Kill the powerfist in a marine squad and charge with a wraithlord. They cant hurt him even through no retreat so you just wear them down slowly, tying down a 160+ point unit with a 100 point wraithlord.
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2009, 00:32   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

doom, fortune, and mindwar. even if you can only cast 2 out of three it is really good to have mindwar for that one shot good dice kill on something nasty once it gets in range.

Doom always works, even better when combined with bladestorm avengers or charging harlies (or banshees).

Fortune is good for following an avatar around with it, or babysitting a squad of reapers or rangers who are playing static, hence in harms way.

Eldritch storm is just dumb (the spin is kinda cool... maybe), and Guide is good I guess for vehicle heavy armies with their whoppong Ld3, but in general, I think I would rather reroll my pusssy Str3 wound roll than reroll a 4+ to hit. Rerolls to wound are far more important and versatile since we pretty much live in a S4 T4 universe with a S3 T3 statline.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2009, 03:56   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death

I find Guide on a reaper squad help full, i know they dont miss easy, but if im against MEQ then putting guide on the reapers normaly gives me another kill(i always miss once) and for like 20pts(my dex isnt with me) its worth one more MEQ a turn
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Dec 2009, 18:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Haha, I actually used an Allseer last night, and the only power I didn't use was Mind War, but that was mainly because everything was in tanks when I could use it, or the seer was in melee when there were targets about.

Eldritch Storm is actually pretty nice. Spun a rhino last night with it, even though it scattered just slightly (the codex specifically says the 2d6+3 hit is to all vehicles touched, so there is no half strength rule). The rhino's player just kinda looked at me like, "wtf was that? that's never happened before." Also blew off its only weapon at the same time. I still don't think I'd take Storm unless I'm hard up for the point filler.

And jeez, I guided my Avengers and doomed their target, and Bladestorm still only took out one model. Granted, they were terminators, but I gave him 21 wounds.