Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Storm or Normal
Old 25 Nov 2009, 12:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death
Default Storm or Normal

I was just reading up on Storm guardians and well they seem better then normal, Normaly i just sit there and use them as meat sheilds but Storms with a Warlock w/ Enhance would be alright in combat i would think.

Thoughts?
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2009, 14:08   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Storm or Normal

I'm more and more leaning towards Storm in all cases. If I want shooty troops, I'll take Dire Avengers. If I want heavy weapons, I'll take Vypers or tanks. But take Storm Guardians with a couple flamers & destructor or a couple fusion guns and Singing spear or just with flamers & enhance and you've got a pretty decent unit. Couple them with an Avatar or with transports for added efficience. S3 a problem? Try Doom. Bolters a problem? Take Conceal. Overall, they're the better of the two but certainly not anything to get too excited about.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2009, 14:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Im not excited, but i play Ulthwe and i like to take guardians just for fluffyness
Old 25 Nov 2009, 19:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Basically Angel, if your looking to suit the fluff of Ulthwe, grab some stormies and a warlock with enhance and you got yourself some good old black guardians from the Craftworld dex haha .

Cheers!
-RS

[center] ~Children of the Storm Fluff~[center]
[center] ~Children of the Storm [1750 pts]~[center]
ShadowCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Nov 2009, 21:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't really like either. Basically, they are the equivalent of guardsmen, inferior to orks, and cost more than either. I would gladly throw in the extra points for a dire avenger if I wanted a dakka squad, and the storm guardians are hardly squat in cc even with an extra weapon when compared to other armies basic grunts who cost even less. Not enough Save, not enough Str, not enough T, not enough WS... and you pay for these warlock or farseer powers to help them, but thats funneling a lot of points into something that just makes them almost as effective as other armies unmodified troops.

I use a squad of defenders as a hold-out for an endgame score, and just give them a scatterlaser for the range, and try to keep them distant and out of the way and behind cover as best I can.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Nov 2009, 09:19   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Its just being Ulthwe i take them, but seems a good idea to trade that one extra shot for 1 extra CC attack and 2 meelta guns, makes them better meat sheilds lol
Old 19 Dec 2009, 05:45   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I picked up 20 Storms on eBay. I'm painting them and will use them after the holidays. I hope to use them in CC to lock up my opponents unit(s).

I ended up using Scorpions for that purpose in a tourney and it seemed like a waste of points and talent.
stevaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Dec 2009, 05:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

They die too easy to get close without a lot of supportive efforts to keep them alive, like the warlock (necessary but pricey), farseer (powers better used on something else), and serpent (completely dumb idea).

At least defender guardians can sit back and shoot their weapon plat (the only offensive thing they're good for) but stay somewhat safe to still be around to score in the endgame.
Old 22 Dec 2009, 23:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
serpent (completely dumb idea).
Well that wasn't very nice. I'll agree that Guardians in Serpents aren't commonplace, but I'm sure they've got some merit. Drop a squad of Defenders onto the middle objective to grab it early and wait for backup. Or just count the Serpent as scoring for less points than a good-sized Avenger squad.

I like the concept of Storm Guardians way more than Guardian Defenders, mainly due to the fact that they're more or less designed to actually be in the action. I don't know how many times I've fielded Guardians with some intent, but they always just chill back in the back, making four shots a turn (Scatter Laser), and, quite honestly, just being a 95-point Scatter Laser. I'd rather see my Troops be useful for once. I've wanted to run some Storms with Fusion Pistols, just to see how they'd do.

But yes, if you take Storm Guardians, always make sure to take an Enhance Warlock - otherwise, you're just looking at Guardians with 2 Attacks, and that won't scare anyone. Granted, WS4 doesn't scare anyone, either, but running a full squad will nab you around 20 attacks, even when charged, at I5, and that's something to boast about when you play against a lot of Imperium players.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2009, 23:44   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Grab an objective and wait for backup? Are you kidding? Good luck with that save waiting for backup. A single squad of bolter marines will wipe them out.

Defenders can and should wait out of the action, with their scatterlaser shots, and they are still useful specifically for that reason. Storm Guardians are going to be a target that will be pulped really quickley in one turn of small arms fire. Defenders are going to be ignored for the most part in favor of more juicy heavier threat targets, thereby actually lasting long enough to be a scoring unit in endgame.

I wouldn't want my civilians 'in the action' if I had a choice, but would like to have them around as a last line of defense if they are necessary. I think Defenders represent that way of thinking better than Storms.