Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Eldar contact next week......Help
Old 14 Nov 2009, 23:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default First Eldar contact next week......Help

Hi all, Can some nice Eldar player please tell me what I need to watch out for and need to know. I have never played or seen Eldar being played so dont know much. So whats the score? I just dont want to go into the match not knowing anything so and info would be good.

Thanks
Waaghsteve
Old 15 Nov 2009, 05:21   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to TigStripe
Default Re: First Eldar contact next week......Help

Orks, eh?

If you're playing shooty Orks like my friend does, watch out for outflanking units (we have three that I can think of off the top of my head).

If you're playing choppy Orks, be mindful of any Eldar Missile Launchers, Tempest Launchers, Eldritch Storm Farseers, Destructor Warlocks...basically anything with a template. But I'm just being general now.

If you see a Farseer on the field, I suggest setting it high on your priority list, depending on where it is. If you can get the charge on it with a squad of Boyz, you'll probably get the kill pretty quickly.

Eldar are most known for fielding a lot of heavy weaponry and moving very quickly - be mindful of War Walker squads, Dark Reapers, and large squads of Dire Avengers, especially if you're running a really swarmy list.

Oh, and the custom force shield that the BigMek can take - if you see Dark Reapers on the field, get him out of line of sight - Crack Shot can completely negate that cover save you're spitting out.
It's a Small World After All.
TigStripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Nov 2009, 10:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Cheers TigStripe very helpfull
Old 16 Nov 2009, 18:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Expect them to be 50% faster than you think and you should be fine. Similarly, expect them to be tougher than you think (ok not tougher, more durable).

The farseer, if present, basically has several abilities that allow re rolls to wound, hit, or armor saves, as well as others. For instance, those Dire avengers can shoot thrice each with bladestorm, with farseer support can then re-roll to hit and wound; if you know a few other races its like a twinlinked, assault 3, living ammunition, bolter. Upon assault they still get that re roll to wound as well btw.

Eldar tanks look quite similar so heres a quick ID for you:

Wave Serpent: Chassis has spines sticking out on the sides. Carries up to 12 models, force field on it reduced S>8 to 8, and ignores melta. with star engines it can go 36 inches (!!!). If fielded prbably has some melee forces that need to close fast.

Fire Prism: Has a big ol' crystal on it. This tank fires either large S5 AP4, or small blast S9 AP2. Scary? perhaps, but remember, one weapon destroyed and it becomes a floating TL-Shuriken catapult (not good).

Falcon: Looks like prism without crystal, instead a long pulse laser and another heavy weapon. Transports 6. This craft will often have holofields, which takes the lower of two damage results (so you just penetrated, got a destroyed and shaken, well, looks like tis shaken). People like putting Fire dragons in here, against Orks, it may contain dire avengers, idk.

Watch you step, and beware their trickery!
Old 16 Nov 2009, 19:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sau1us
The farseer, if present, basically has several abilities that.......................
Does his abilities only apply to the unit he is with, a ranger thing or the whole army?

Quote:
Wave Serpent:.............. with star engines it can go 36 inches (!!!).
Can the poeple inside deploy? If yes can they deploy and assault?

And thanks btw been very helpfull
Old 16 Nov 2009, 20:03   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yea the farseer can doom any unit 24 inches away from itself, while fortune and guide only have 6 inch range. So fortune and guide are most likely the unit that the farseer joins.

So star engines allow the serpent to move 12 inches in the shooting phase, this combined with 24 inches flat out, as it is a fast skimmer, totals 36 inches. This allows for a few other neat maneuvers beyond the obvious, but they are too complex and rare to comment on.

As it went flat out it cannot do anything (shoot, passengers disembark etc.) but it needs 6's to be hit in combat, and gets a 4+ cover save (which btw can be fortuned by a farseer inside (while maybe dooming some other unit!!) to give a 75% save. They will of course need to deploy and assault the next turn.
Old 16 Nov 2009, 20:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Yea the farseer can doom any unit 24 inches away from itself, while fortune and guide only have 6 inch range. So fortune and guide are most likely the unit that the farseer joins.

So star engines allow the serpent to move 12 inches in the shooting phase, this combined with 24 inches flat out, as it is a fast skimmer, totals 36 inches. This allows for a few other neat maneuvers beyond the obvious, but they are too complex and rare to comment on.

As it went flat out it cannot do anything (shoot, passengers disembark etc.) but it needs 6's to be hit in combat, and gets a 4+ cover save (which btw can be fortuned by a farseer inside (while maybe dooming some other unit!!) to give a 75% save. They will of course need to deploy and assault the next turn.
Oo...I hope they forget there farseer tomorrow. lol Thanks Sau1us
Old 16 Nov 2009, 20:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

be wary of war walkers aswell, it can carry two non twinlinked weapons, and against hordes they can be deadly if armed with two scatterlasers each. its a mad amount of S6 firepower. or with starcannons that will igore most armour your toughest guys can take, 16 Ap2 shots will mess up ur mega armoured nobz if you have any

Banshees are brutal in CC. they will ignore any armour aswell, and more than likely they will go first.

Its unlikely that they will forget a farseer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Nov 2009, 21:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
be wary of war walkers aswell, it can carry two non twinlinked weapons, and against hordes they can be deadly if armed with two scatterlasers each. its a mad amount of S6 firepower. or with starcannons that will igore most armour your toughest guys can take, 16 Ap2 shots will mess up ur mega armoured nobz if you have any

Banshees are brutal in CC. they will ignore any armour aswell, and more than likely they will go first.

How many points is a Farseer? Its a 1k points game
Old 16 Nov 2009, 21:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waaghsteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne

How many points is a Farseer? Its a 1k points game
My farseer is either 120 or 150 depending on wether he's using his jetbike, I would always recomend that player take farseers in games of more than 750 points so He's probably taking one

You don't want to get in CC with Striking Scorpions as they're mean green killing machines with a better save than da boyz.
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote