Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Timer Help
Old 10 Nov 2009, 01:59   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default First Timer Help

With all that I have seen and watch played, I do not want Space Marines (WAY to many out there), but I am looking for something comparable. I am looking at Tau, Eldar and IG. In studying on the various armies, If I were to build Eldar, This is my first attempt on paper before any investment. I am also needing to widdle down to at least 1750 if not 1500 pts. Any help, criticism will be of help.

Eldar Stormtroopers
286 pts- Farseer w/3 warlocks
Jet bikes
Conceal
Enhance
Destructor
Mindwar

273 pts- Guardians (10)
Star Cannon Platform
Warlock
Enhance
Wave Serpent
Star Cannon

136 pts- Guardian Jetbike Squadron (3)
Warlock
Enhance
Shuriken Cannon

177 pts- Eldar Shininh Spear (3)
Exarch
Withdrawal

177 pts- Eldar Shininh Spear (3)
Exarch
Withdrawal

153 pts- Swooping Hawks (5)
Exarch
Skyleap

125 pts- Fire Prism
Spirit Stones

125 pts- Fire Prism
Spirit Stones

169 pts- Warp Spiders (5)
Exarch
Surprise Assault
Withdrawal

Exarch
Surprise Assault
Withdrawal

Exarch
Surprise Assault
Withdrawal

Total: 1949
Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2009, 03:16   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Re: First Timer Help

Sorry, wrong place to post... I have corrected.
Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2009, 09:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Lets take a look at this... I don't mean to be critical, just trying to help, but it has a lot of holes in it. Just little nitpicky details that can give you a better army with the same figs.

First off the 'conceal' power on your jetbiking warlock and seer group is redundant and unnecessary since they all have RuneArmor, giving them better invulnerable saves anyway. Give him Embolden instead. It's cheap, and it saves you from those occasional 11's and 12's on morale tests. It looks like that squad is going to get stuck in pretty quick, and you don't want one dumb roll fouling up your most expensive powerful unit in your battle plan. Something else to consider is that 'Mindwar' on the Farseer. I would suggest one of the powers that you use at the beginning of the turn work much better, since they are already sicko's in close combat and will likely be supported by the ShiningSpears. 'Fortune' is probably your best bet since you will be in the thick of it with these guys, and rerollable invulnerable saves is pretty nice when you have to deal with the backlash of return attacks in cc, or the fire they will have to take when they kill off their target and are just sitting there in the open. For an extra few points you can use both powers with SpiritStones.

Next, your Guardian squad. The warlock would serve them better if he had 'embolden', since you really don't want these guys in CC to begin with. They are weak and flimsy. I personally don't like starcannons due to the low rate of fire and high points cost. There are far cheaper weapons that shoot faster at the same Strength for taking out vehicles, but a starcannon is really only good at downing a marine every turn (on average). Won't do you much good for its points on anything hoard-ish. A scatterlaser or Shuricannon is a good choice for a Guardian weapon platform, because of their cheapness, the rate-of-fire (which offsets the Guardians' lousy BS), and the fact that they are more compatible with shooting at the same target as the guns of the rest of the squad.

One of the best new weapon configurations for a Wave Serpent is a twin linked MissileLauncher and a hull-mounted shuricannon. This lets you move, and still fire both weapons, then you drop out of the transport, hose down some stuff with the Guardians, and still have the Serpent as an intervening model, giving you a cover save. I try to mount my tanks opposite of their cargo. If the infantry inside is 'anti-tank' in nature, the transport will carry 'anti-infantry' weapons, and vice versa. The Missile launcher can work either way because you can choose how it shoots. The biggest bonus is that you can move this guy cruising speed to get where you want it, fire plasma missiles as a defensive weapon, and the shuricannon as the main weapon, then drop the guardians, who all get their shots when they disembark, all in the same turn.

precision precision.

Your Guardian jetbikes might do well with a 'destructor' warlock, because, again, they really aren't meant for close combat. They'll want to be jumping in close, blasting away, then jumping away in the assault phase, while your more CC oriented bikers (spears and HQ) move in to assault the target they soften up. In fact, it might be better to just move the Warlock to the HQ squad and leave your jetbikers to do their own thing. Adding a Warlock is good for large squads, but you don't need to spend so many points to babysit a tiny squad like this.

Regarding the spears, you are wasting massive points here. A single squad of 5 is far better than 2 squads of 3. Drop an Exarch and have 1 consolidated unit of 5. The points you save can pay for a lot of the nitpicky details I've listed above, and thrown in a shuricannon for the Exarch's bike.

Your SwoopingHawks will want intercept if you play against anyone who uses skimmers. It is very cheap, and extremely handy. Their Haywire Grenades are a great anti-tank threat. I usually give my Exarch a Sunrifle too for the huge amount of shots at BS5. If anyone tries to lock you in CC just skyleap away and come back later.

Fire Prisms are essentially big floating guns. The spirit stones are unnecessary, because if they aren't shooting anyway they are pretty much useless.

The problem with the Warp spiders is kind of like the spears. You are paying for a lot of Exarch powers that could be concentrated in one single squad, and additionally, every time you jump with them you are risking losing 3 guys not just 1 to the warp. a single unit of 10 is far better than 2 units of 5.

So here's a revised version based on cleaning up a couple of those rough edges and (other than the heavy weapon) using the same figures:

[hr]

Farseer: jetbike, mindwar, fortune, spirit stones

Warlocks(4): jetbikes, destructor, destructor, enhance, embolden

Guardians(10): shuricannon
Warlock, embolden
WaveSerpent: twin linked Missile, shuricannon

Guardian Jetbikes(3): shuricannon
76 points

Shining Spears(5): exarch, withdraw, starlance, shuricannon
242 points

Swooping Hawks(5): exarch, skyleap, intercept, sunrifle
152 points

Fire Prism

Fire Prism

Warp Spiders(10): exarch, surprise, withdrawal, extra spinner

Warp Spiders(5): exarch, surprise, withdrawal

1751 points. You want to drop it to 1500, take out a prism, and the small spider squad, and you'll have 33 points to toss around on upgrades. Fun fun fun. Upgrade your Guardian's weapon platform to a scatlaser, toss in more exarch weapons, whatever....
even more fun. free up 42 points by dropping a few things here and there, like the extra spinner on the spider exarch, the sunrifle on the hawk exarch, the shuricannon and starlance on the spears exarch... and you have enough for a Guide farseer to just hang in the back with your FirePrism

Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2009, 11:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Guitardian.... the list is kinda illegal with all those FA choices.... :P
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Nov 2009, 11:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

ack.. good point.

origional list had hawks, spears, spears, spiders, spiders, spiders =6

my revamp brought it down to 4... wasnt looking. thanks for pointing that out

[hr]
so appologies aside... you need to get rid of a Fast Attack still. I suggest the smaller unit of warp spiders. 169 points can get you all these cool options (just the first most obvious one I come up with, I'm sure there are many others):

MORE warlock bikers all with destructor! (3) plus a singing spear for one of the non-destructor warlocks already in the squad, just to give yourself a tad more AT options in the army. If you are going to make a ballsy charging HQ unit on bikes, may as well go all the way.

you lose 5 spiders, gain 3 warlock bikers who can blast ridiculous amounts of heavy-flamer equivalent firepower, fight awesome in cc, and are damn near indestructable with the bike bonus and the rerollable invul save.

I was trying to stay with the models he listed, but there's just too much FA slots no matter how much you try to trim it.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote