Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fluff about Ulthwé and Eldrad
Old 25 Oct 2009, 14:57   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Angel of Death
Default Fluff about Ulthwé and Eldrad

I've just started an Elder army and I've been searching all over the net and read the codex but there dosnt seem to be much fluff around them, I was jsut wondering if anyone could tell me some fluff or point me in a direction where there is some.

Thanks, Michael
Angel of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Oct 2009, 20:25   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman
Default Re: Fluff about Ulthwé and Eldrad

Page 18 of the Eldar codex talks about Ulthwe, page 50 talks about Eldrad. There's some more fluff in older codexes, but other than that I'm not sure.
Old 26 Oct 2009, 01:02   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well i know that lol, I was more wondering about fluff in other codex besides eldar, or boos or something
Old 26 Oct 2009, 10:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think there's plenty of backstory and mythology in every Eldar codex edition. What they don't often get into is specific details of force structure. I think that might be deliberate, as Eldar are much more fluid in their approach to warfare than, say, a space Marine chapter for instance. They are meant to be 'enigmatic' and hard for humans to understand, which is cool enough for storyline, and has the double bonus of making them very flexible regarding intentions, forces, matchups against various opponents without bursting a reality bubble, and remaining 'believable'. (that is... if you believe in space elves).

Eldrad is a legendary guy who supposedly was last seen lost in the Warp, and presumed dead. This also gives a great deal of flexibility of his use, since you never really know if he is dead or not, and he might just follow those strands of fate and show up just where he is needed. I've talked to a lot of Eldar players who do not play Ulthwe, but use an Eldrad figure in large armies as a 'Master Farseer' by some other name. Same goes with prince Yriel and Iyanden. a 'Heroic Autarch' proxy from some home made craftworld. Nobody seems to have a problem with this, now that all the different craftworlds are under the same rules.

As far as Ulthwe fluff goes, they do not use many aspect warrioors as so many of them are called to the path of the seer, due to the physical location so close to the Eye of Terror. To make up for this their Guardians are like a permanent standing army reserve, instead of a last desperate defence like they are for other craftworlds. Their seer councils, many Farseers and Warlocks, are their strength in battle. Because they dabble so much so near the warp they are mistrusted by other Eldar. Because of their meddling in the affairs of the Monkeigh for their own agendas, they are untrusted by the Imperium. They pretty much have no friends becasue nobody trusts the intentions of the guys that can read their minds and predict their possible futures. Eldrad meddled in Imperial affairs for eons just by manipulating the actions of other races, so unsurprisingly, when Ulthwe goes to war, they have an agenda known only to them. Alliances may be made, but they will be easily cast aside as soon as it is prudent for Ulthwe. I think of them as 'space elf know-it-all con artists'.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Oct 2009, 14:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Thats what i love about them, that there tactics arnt just kill, they use other races and so on (its what i do in the campaigns as well when i play armys lol)

Thx for the info
Old 26 Oct 2009, 20:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Ratmamahatma

I think some fluff about Eldrad and Ultwe can be found in Codex - Eye of Terror. You can read some interesting fluff also in documents for Battlefleet Gothic. Then there is the old stuff in Rogue Trader that no longer apply, but is still inspiring. It is funny to compare on witch parts of the fluff they build on and witch they have leaved. Something about Eldar deep past and biology can be found in Xenology and lots of interesting details about their interaction with humans is in Creatures Anathema of Dark Heresy. That's all I can put from top of my head. If there is something more I also want to hear it
Ratmamahatma is offline   Reply With Quote