Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Need a Little Help Against Black Templars
Old 16 Oct 2009, 00:09   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to runer60000
Default Need a Little Help Against Black Templars

I'm going to be playing black templars on saturday, and i was wondering what i should look out for when im playing. i dont know much about his force, but it apparently seems to be around 3000 points, and consists of a chaplain on a bike, 3 more bikes(dont know what kind), 2 squads of termies and a rhino. here is what my army consists of:
-farseer
-6 banshees, exarch with executioner
-6 fire dragons, exarch with firepike
-wave serpent with shuricannon, turret weapon can be anything
-2 squads of 10 avengers, exarch with power weapon/shimmershield
-6 hawks, exarch
-5 reapers, exarch with tempest launcher
-2 war walkers
i will be using my whole army, but because i only have like 1400 or 1500 points, not all of his army will make it on the field.once again, since i have little information on his army, im not looking for specific tactics or anything, i can cover that, im just wondering if the templars have any other unique units or upgrades i should look out for. thanks in advance! 8)
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2009, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Need a Little Help Against Black Templars

that whole thing about making them move when you shoot them can be quite fun to run them around a board. Use that. Every time they get hit they have to advance. They think that's a boon, but it makes it easy to bait them if you stay mobile. like... ooops.... i just moved you into charge range of my harlies by incidentally whacking a guy here or there with my vypers. They are very powerful assault army, but easily duped. Any time an enemy has to make moves without intention it gives you a huge advantage.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2009, 02:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

so they move when you shoot them? i thought the dark angles were the only ones that did that, guess i was wrong. :P
Current Eldar Standings:
Old 16 Oct 2009, 02:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

depending how sneaky your opponant is, and if they have a landraider, and assault terminators, they may be able to get into asault first turn if the placements are just right, and assault terminators, with T/L lightning claws and furious charge are not something you want in your lines.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2009, 16:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

If you have dark reapers you're already on top of it. It doesn't matter if they get close if you kill the whole squad

Also the whole moving does for my BT opponents is get them closer to the 24" killing range. ie- warp spiders, dire avengers, farseer spells. Blow up the land raider and rhinos as quickly as possible, if theyre fielding them. If the LR i s being used as a weapons platform. DONT bother shooting at it. At best it might blow up a vehicle, best not to waste all that firepower.

i really like your list, but personally I would drop the hawks. (expensive, low strength, low armor, has to get close to the templar to use haywires) If that's all you have, then I guess that's what you're using, just be careful. I suppose they could go suicide strike a land raider or something.

Good luck runer! ;D
Old 16 Oct 2009, 21:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

um, dark reapers dont ignore termie armour so i would try weight of fire and maybe give the wave serpent starcannons for extra ap2. More shots cant hurt
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2009, 22:04   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

termies are banshee bait in my experience... or harlies.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 Oct 2009, 23:43   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by henbobbleb
um, dark reapers dont ignore termie armour so i would try weight of fire and maybe give the wave serpent starcannons for extra ap2. More shots cant hurt
Unless they're playing Apocalypse though Black Templar can't field an all termie force; there's gonna have to be at least two crusader squads. Templars tend to be footslogging and kind horde-like, relying on Righteous Zeal and large squad size to advance forward and get in CC-- which is just a perfect target for dark reapers.As for starcannons, in 5th edition with cover saves abound they're just not worth their point cost. Termies and power armor are much more readily handled by banshees or harlies (especially since BT don't have 3++ storm shields).

For the OP, as far as things to look out for, do not take Lances! Black Templar have a special upgrade for their Landraiders that makes them immune to Lances called Sacred Hull. If he knows in advance he's facing Eldar it's a safe bet he'll taken Sacred Hull on any LRs he fields. If you're playing around 1500pts though, your fire dragons should be enough to handle any major armor he throws at you if you use them carefully. At worst you can use the haywire grenades on your hawks but I'd consider that a fall back option.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Oct 2009, 02:24   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

my termie counters are gonna be banshees, walkers, and dragons(he only has a rhino when it comes to vehicles, i dont have to worry).
if i can buy and build some rangers before our game, i might get rid of my hawks. one of the main armies i fight are nids, so thats mostly why they're there. just so we can have a big game, i might throw them in to drop grenade packs and hunt down any squads that have like 2 or 3 marines left. they can also go after the rhino if i want them to.
i also have exact info now on what i could be facing. there are also 3 tac squads, 2 assault squads, and some veteran templars(im guessing he meant sword brethren), as well as what i mentioned earlier. my reapers will probably go after the assault squads first, considering theyll be the first to close in on my army. my walkers will immediatly begin work on the bikes, theyll most likely be getting into combat before the termies, and ill guide them just to make sure they do more damage. considering the movement they make after being shot at, my dragon wagon will go around the flank and slow down the termies from there. my avengers will stay on my front, and bladestorm and charge what hasnt been shot down.
my walkers and wave serpent will all have starcannons so they can termie hunt successfully, the serpent will have the shuricannon as well for longer range.
Current Eldar Standings:
Old 17 Oct 2009, 18:47   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to icer190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
that whole thing about making them move when you shoot them can be quite fun to run them around a board. Use that. Every time they get hit they have to advance. They think that's a boon, but it makes it easy to bait them if you stay mobile. like... ooops.... i just moved you into charge range of my harlies by incidentally whacking a guy here or there with my vypers. They are very powerful assault army, but easily duped. Any time an enemy has to make moves without intention it gives you a huge advantage.
Not every time, they only test once at the end of the shooting phase.
icer190 is offline   Reply With Quote