Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Heavy Weapons Platform
Old 04 Oct 2009, 14:03   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Heavy Weapons Platform

Hi there.

I reguarly play an Eldar friend in Combat Patrol and we've been having some doubts about how the "Heavy Weapons Platform" (think that's what it's called, the mobile weapons platform you get in the Battle Force is what I'm refering to) actually work.
Is it a model? Do I trace line of sight from it? To it? As an example, if I hit him with a template does it count as a model I hit? When does it stop functioning? After the two gunners have been killed, or the whole squad or?

My friend says the Codex answers none of these questions, and after skimming it I'd have to agree with him so hope you guys can clear this up...
gorlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2009, 14:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Heavy Weapons Platform

Is it the plateform that goes with the guardian?

If so, it just represent an upgrade that whole guardian squad have and it needs 2 gunner (IIRC). So LOS is from the guardian squad, not the plateform persay. You cannot target it individually you target the sqaud and as long as 2 remains it can be used instead of the shuriken catapult.

Hell, I've even been told it doesn't need to be based by GW.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2009, 14:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Eldar Heavy Weapon Platform, as included in an Eldar Battleforce, is a compulsory upgrade for a Guardian Squad. Upon taking it, you nominate two specific members of the squad to fire it (the two 'crew member' models you get). When playing the game, to fire the weapon you assume that one of those two crew members is actually armed with it, in a similar way to, say, how a Devastator Space Marine is armed with a Lascannon. You get to pick which crew member, and I suppose you could change which one you fire with from turn to turn, which may give you some advantage with respect to line of sight.

The model of the weapon and platform itself is not actually counted in any way; it may not be destroyed independently, nor targeted, nor treated as a model in the unit for the purposes of templates or gaining cover saves. For all intents and purposes, the model is simply a marker to remind you which weapon the squad is actually armed with; it can be moved aside if necessary and is not subject to the usual rules for movement.

The only way to remove the weapon from the squad is to kill the two 'crew members' that it belongs to. The only way this will happen before the squad is fully destroyed is by losing the crew members individually (through the complex unit rules on page 25 of the rulebook).
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2009, 14:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
The Eldar Heavy Weapon Platform, as included in an Eldar Battleforce, is a compulsory upgrade for a Guardian Squad.
Actually I'm pretty sure it's an optional upgrade...however I will grant you that it would be somewhat pointless to field Guardian without either giving them a plateform or upgrading them to Storm Guardian, but thep lateform is not compulsory.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2009, 14:37   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
The Eldar Heavy Weapon Platform, as included in an Eldar Battleforce, is a compulsory upgrade for a Guardian Squad.
Actually I'm pretty sure it's an optional upgrade...however I will grant you that it would be somewhat pointless to field Guardian without either giving them a plateform or upgrading them to Storm Guardian, but thep lateform is not compulsory.
I'm afraid you're incorrect; the entry states that two Guardians MUST be upgraded to a Heavy Weapons Team. The only way to have Guardians without a HWT is to make them Storm Guardians (where it explicitly states that the squad doesn't have a HWT).

It's one of the reasons I've not gone about updating my old Ulthwé army to the current Codex as I've got no real way of adding HWTs to my existing Guardian Squads without purchasing an additional 8 Guardians each time since, as a proper Ulthwé player (as opposed to a Seer Council of Doom tournament player), I've got more Guardians than I need already.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Oct 2009, 17:20   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks guys. This is pretty much how we had played it, though we didn't treat the two "gunners" as special when assigning wounds. Though it seems a little weird in these "TLOS" days that the model doesn't really exist and shouldn't be used...
gorlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Oct 2009, 07:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

the gun plat is just a 'token'. The gunners are who you need to worry about RAW. Silly, but that's the way it is.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote