Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Strategies for use against Space Wolves.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 04:02   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Strategies for use against Space Wolves.

Well, as we all know by now, Space Wolves have recently been updated, and apparently have reached new heights of ridiculousness.

My friend has decided that he is going to be buying space wolves as his second 40k army, which leaves me rather worried. The only other MEQ armies I play are Dark Angles and Necrons, which are so under powered it's not even funny.

So to cut to the chase, I have started this thread for the discussion of tactics and/or strategies for the purpose of getting Eldar players armed againts the Sheep dogs from spaaaaace!!

[hr]

My contribution is for use against drop pod lists, which is to take double autarch, stay off table, and come in second turn to kill most of his stuff.
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2009, 04:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Strategies for use against Space Wolves.

despite their ludricrous new psykers, they still suffer from being very expensive, hence outnumbers. they are an all-egg-basket of superheros that can still only be at one place at once. the jain-zar charge in a squad of harlies or banshees will shred their troops. without troops, it doesnt matter how awesome their command is. you just spend the rest of the game avoiding them. drop pods are a one shot application of dudes to a specific board area, once committed they are useless. stay away from them and pick on their troops.

I just played the other day and got handed my ass by a new codex wolf player with a ridiculous command squad, because i tried to take it out instead of stay away from it. I think staying away is our best option. frustrate them with all their supercharacters with no targets, while picking on his troops.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2009, 06:06   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Yes the only problem with avoidance is you have to have speed, which, while not a problem for mech armies, will cause some grief for anyone playing a hybrid or foot army.

I do agree though that avoidding super characters while killing everything else is a good idea, It is excellent against most marine armies with super units, [sub]oh wait thats all of them.....[/sub] :P especially dark angels.
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Sep 2009, 14:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I would also be very wary of lone wolves in annihilate. My friend recently takes 3 with thunder hammers, storm shields etc. The trouble is, you don't want to kill them to concede a victory point, but if you dont kill them, they make a mess of your army :P
Old 27 Sep 2009, 03:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

(just sighing and remembering the days when terminators couldn't run, and we had a rule called 'overwatch&#39
Old 27 Sep 2009, 04:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Runes of warding.... They will help deny those psychic powers that are pretty dam powerful. And remmeber, a majority of the units die the same as normal space marines...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Sep 2009, 21:26   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

for close combat armies, you can't beat a squad of 3 d-cannon platforms. they are so short range as to be almost useless, unless your enemy is running towards you

you are guaranteed to decimate anything you hit with these things! marines will crumble if hit.

in 4th ed i had given up on them, but with the new 5th ed victory point system them they have a new life. plant some where they can cover a couple of objectives and wait for the opponent to run into range.

if you expect to be charged, dire avengers(defend, shimmer shield) and scorpies are a good bet, if you think you'll be charging them though, banshees are nice, weak, but the power weapons will hurt them badly.

If you fancy growing a full and luxuriant beard, then swooping hawks are for you. Skyleap + grenade pack. Deepstrike in each turn and drop the grenades, before skyleaping out again, to rinse and repeat next turn. no opportunity to be hit for the entire game.

as mentioned otherwise, get their psykers, runes of warding in general, explodijg heads are fun! otherwise, if you can run up and mind war the psykers even better.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 16:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

How to take out Space dogs:

I play Mechinized so its easy....Eldar vs space marines.. the main thing you want to remember is the SM main strength is there armor.. take that away..power weapons and fusion guns/star cannons.
in a 1500 pt game back in the day were everyone I played with seemed to play marines i used 2 squads of fire dragons and a squad of banshees each in a wave serpent. followed the banshees with a Doom seer (jetbike) and if you want to pull fire power off your wave serpents throw 2 or 3 war walkers out there with star cannons. then for objective takers use 3 man guardian jet bike squads.
Old 14 Oct 2009, 17:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
(just sighing and remembering the days when terminators couldn't run, and we had a rule called 'overwatch&#39
right there with ya