Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

350 Combat Patrol?
Old 16 Sep 2009, 20:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default 350 Combat Patrol?

What should I include? I'll definitely fight Orks, probably Marines/Blood Angels, and possibly Tau.
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

viorlashasui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2009, 09:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Jeff Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff
Default Re: 350 Combat Patrol?

Lots of shots.

A unit of jetbikes to outrun the enemy.

A warwalker (or 2!) for hard hitting firepower

The rest fill out with guardians or Dire Avengers.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 20:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

350 good lordy that's little

i'm thinking capitalize on your cheapest. Warwalker with two cannons, and a bunch of plain ol avengers.

if you have harlequins, they can be a lot of fun if you keep them small, give it a Jester and a Seer, and just avoid things while picking away with your shrieker cannon. Frustrates the heck out of people, and you can, if you stay on your toes, just completely avoid any casualties because of the veil of tears.

Most armies have either cheaper/better (orks, guard, nids) or roughly the same cost, but more durable ('crons, marines) guys, so a straight shooting match will go badly. You have mobility and goofy stuff like the veil of tears, or J-S-J bikers. In a tiny game that will be the entire deciding factor. Just lining up and shooting at each other will lose badly with such a little number.

Here's an idea:
5 avengers (60), just to hold the objective and be in the way
5 harlequins, seer, jester, 1 kiss (134)
2 warwalkers, shricannons (80)
3 jetbikes, shricannon on one (76)

---350 points

at such a low level, there wont be much anti-tank to threaten your walkers. your veil of tears and your jump-shoot jump will make a mess of targetting, allowing you to play a very low casualty cat and mouse game of zipping around picking away with impunity.

I dunno, just a thought.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Sep 2009, 21:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Not a fan of the Harlies, but I like it otherwise. Thanks!
"Brothers in battle and blood, In oath and honor, In life and death, In faith and in truth. Brothers in the sight of the Emperor. So be it ever, as He-on-Terra wills. Amen." - Prayer of Initiation, Knights Revenant attr. Captain Lucius Faust, 597.M41

"'Death before dishonor.' This is our creed, our way of life and death. Bolstered by the faith of the immortal God-Emperor, we may go into battle without fear for self. We know that whatever sacrifice is made in the name of He-on-Terra is not made in vain. Our honor rests in our service to Him, and we could ask no greater reward than to rest at His side, having given our utmost in His name." -Captain Anborn Tohr, after the Siege of Hydrax III

Old 19 Sep 2009, 21:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Try them with the Death Jester though. The 'other' use for harlequins is as a pesky bee sting that the other guy can't do anything about. The DJ cannon shoots much further than anyone can target them from, so you can lurk around just picking off one or 2 models a turn while they can't fire back because of the veil. It doesn't cause many casualties, but it doesn't take any itself... and can still be used as a tactical denial because nobody really wants to advance close enough to be charged by them, letting them keep another squad (like the objective defenders) safer from being mobbed, because people won't close into the deathy-killy-threshold of a harlequin squad nearby. Rather than doing your best to have them charge in and rend stuff up, just hang back with them and fight on your own terms with the shrieker cannon. If they want to close in to deal with the annoying untargettable cannon, welcome them with kisses once they cross that threshold range of 13"-ish. Sure, come closer! Doesn't bother us... but if you don't , we'll just hang back here and take potshots at you all day... It frustrates people like you wouldn't believe.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 18:06   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmmm. Maybe .

Old 21 Sep 2009, 20:05   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

There is no maybe. It works. It pisses people off bigtime. I have never regretted using this tactic. For a little army, even moreso, because half your points are caught up in a squad that they simply cannot shoot at.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 14:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

A unit of harliquins while expensive would be pretty good to have. I would be hesitant to not have a decent CC unit for counter charges going up against orks. Although one could definatly argue you would be better off using scorpions, I'm a fan of harliquins myself and the DJ would add some versatility to the unit. However definatly definatly take some war walkers! They work wonders at the combat patrol level!

Good luck

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote