Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

 

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica- Wave Serpent
Reply
Old 14 Sep 2009, 04:38   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,636
Default Tactica- Wave Serpent

Another day, another tactica. This one will be different (in the fact it is a transport)

The Wave Serpent is honestly my favourite Eldar vehicle. It can put out a lot of firepower, is very defensive, is very fast, and is readily available.

Numbers: If running wave serpents, make sure there are other fire-magnet units in the army. Usually other fast vehicles suit this (Falcons, Vypers, Other Serpents, Prisms), because they won't be left behind. I currently run in 1750 pts 4 wave serpents, and they rarely dissapoint me.

Weapons: I'll go through the different types of serpents and how each can be armed for what I believe to be greatest effect.

Rush-Serpent: Twin-Linked Shuriken cannons, Spirit Stones, Vectored Engines, Star Engines. The idea for this one is a very fast mover to place a quick threat into the enemies face, or steal long-distance objectives. I personally don't like this one. The waveserpent isa very flexible vehicle, and you miss out by denying its shooting by moving that fast. The reason I've taken the vectored engines is because on an immobilised it counts as a wreck, which is devestating for whatever is inside ( http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,87651.0.html ) If immobilised it floats to the ground and the squad can go about its business.

Dakka-Serpent v1: Twin-Linked EML, Shuriken cannon, Spirit Stones. This vehicle can put out huge amounts of fire power, is very tacticaly flexible (Tanks or infantry) and has all the advantages of the standard serpent. The EML on plasma shot can do decent damage against hordes, and being a defensive weapon you can add the shuriken cannon fire. The EML can also do decent tank hunting. The fact it is twin-linked makes it a reliable tank or infantry hunter.

Dakka-Serpent v2: Twin-linked Scatter Laser, Shuriken cannon, Spirit Stones. I use this style as a counter assault unit. I load it up with banshees, and either remain staionary or only move 6 inches a turn. The fact it gets 7 S6 shots a turn makes it very powerful against nearly all infantry (2+ saves and T4+ FnP survive it though) The opponent moves closer, when they get too close, unload banshees and pulp the enemy. The amount of fire makes it an alright light vehicle hunter, but don't depend on it (unless side armour hunting).

Lance-Serpent: TL Brightlance, Shurike Cannon, Spirit Stones. This is the main tank hunter in my army. I personally don't like Fire Dragons, and brightlances on most other squads I find are just too innaccurate. I take the shuriken canon for side armour hunting, and that way the serpent can still do something when a weapon destroyed result is rolled. Plus adds a bit of anti-infatry to it. I take 2 of these, each with dire avengers in them. Pop the transport, shuriken the insides.

Cheap-Serpent: TL Shuriken cannon. Used more for mobile cover, but I don't advise it. Wave Serpents are too expensive to be used as mobile cover. Do it if you must....

Deployment: These guys are one of our toughest units, so they do excell being on the board. The amount of times I've made people cry when they try and break my armour is huge (ordnance, denied, meltas, denied, Death strike missiles, denied) Just make sure you take adavantage of cover when you can. They are tough, not indestructable. That being said, if playing a reserve denial army (2 autarchs, coming in 2nd turn) keep them off with the rest of your army. Try not to have them by themselves, otherwise through weight of fire they go down.

Flat Out: I personally don't do it that often, because of the risk of wrecks destroying whats inside. However, if it is for a last turn objective grab, or khorne bezerkers are too close, do it. the 4+ cover is nice, but a 50% chance to ignore what could effectively be the death of 2 units in one shot is too much of a risk. Fortune on the 4+ is much safer, but still be wary.

Vehicle Upgrades: I usualy only take 2. Shuriken cannon and spirit Stones. The key to a serpent is movement and tactical re-deployment. Keep it moving. It also helps for tank shocks. I take the shuriken cannon because the wave-serpent would only have 1 weapon of any real use otherwise. It can help with light vehicle hunting, as well as hordes. The other 2 upgrades, vectored and star engines, I believe should only be taken if you want to waste a few points. To take star engines, you kinda need to take vectored engines, which becomes quite pointsy. And if you are using starengines you are missing out on some of our more accurate shooting. And usually if you can't get to the area with 24" movement it may not be worth it, or just do it next turn!

A Wave Serpent Pilot doesn't leave home without.... His buddies! The serpent is one of the best Transports in the game. Don't forget it can cary many men around, and they are quite intimidating when you have 4 lined up!

Dos and Don'ts

DO Experiment, see what you like.
DON'T Leave the embarked unit inside too long... unless it is a cheap scorin unit!
DO Use fortune on a vehicle moving fast or a squad inside. Re-rolling failed saves when it blows up can make a huge difference. remember, generally Eldar are quite squishy.
DON'T Forget about tank-shocks and rams. We can get pretty high strength, and with the energy shield it means that if the enemy death or glories, the better tank busting weapons (melta guns) only get 1D6, and lascannons are weaker. Its also a fun way to get rid of characters with Eternal Warrior (remove from play anyone?) I think holo-falcons are a better tank-shocking unit, but Serpents can be very fun!

Hope I was of assistance, I'm taking my army to a tournament (6th this year) soon, and am hoping to record it, so people can see my tacticas in action.

Criticisms (polite please) comments, suggestions and praise all hoped for.
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2009, 10:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland Oregon
Posts: 216
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

Once again a very helpful tactica. I always enjoy reading your posts.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Ead

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2009, 14:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NS Canada
Posts: 621
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

I am planning on getting another Serpent, (well battleforce) and its funny how I read the options and don't really think. The Tl scatter laser and cannon sounds pretty terrifying, and it probably works out cheaper than my TL-BL serpent. I think they will compliment eachother well.
__________________
Alright Blood Angels, who wants to play pin the Tau on the carnifex!
Sau1us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Sep 2009, 15:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 251
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

Great post, you covered all the points on Wave Serpents! I also agree that the wave serpent is the best place for a Bright Lance in an Eldar players army. With that said though my favorite and most commonly used setup is your "Dakka-Serpent v1".

I would like to add my thoughts on Wrecked destroying the troops being transported inside the vehicle. I'd add it to that post but that thread hasn't been posted in for nearly 2 weeks.

However the rules pan out on this as read I disagree with the unit being destroyed. It's inconsistent for the unit to be destroyed on a wrecked and only takes wounds on an Explode. The speed of the crash that people are arguing would kill the unit on a wrecked is still present on an explode, however on an explode the chances of survival would be even less with the added threat of an explosion! If it was intended for the unit to be destroyed if inside a vehicle moving flat out it would be consitently found in both Wrecked and Explode as speed is the factor determining the death. However with that said I can see why people argue for the destruction of the unit and its unfortunate that the rules aren't clear enough and read the way that they do (however unclear rules is nothing new from GW...)

ANYWAYS great post! This is full of knowledge for any Eldar player looking on picking up some skimmers! Great format as always, keep um coming!
__________________
"I have seen the doom of the universe. And yet I have seen hope."

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 03:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth, i think...
Posts: 275
Send a message via AIM to runer60000
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

yet another great tactica!
__________________
Current Tau Standings:
Against Blood Angels SM: L0, T1, W3
Against Chaos: L2, T1, W0
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 04:24   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,604
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Shakey
DON'T Forget about tank-shocks and rams. We can get pretty high strength, and with the energy shield it means that if the enemy death or glories, the better tank busting weapons (melta guns) only get 1D6, and lascannons are weaker. Its also a fun way to get rid of characters with Eternal Warrior (remove from play anyone?) I think holo-falcons are a better tank-shocking unit, but Serpents can be very fun!
I thought that CC negated the energy field, and while Lascannons and such would be affected, would a DoG P.fist be?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
I trusted you, and it paid off. That was funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 05:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,636
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

CC negates the enetgy field, but remember it is against front armour when being tankshocked. That means he has a little bit less than a 25% chance of stopping it. (33% chance of penetrating hit, 12.5% chance of glancing. On a penetrating hit he has 50% chance of stopping/destroying, glancing a 1/6 chance) Holofields work in CC however, which makes it even more unlikely...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 05:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 2,604
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

Ah, okay, thanks. That really is a good tactica .
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
I trusted you, and it paid off. That was funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 05:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,636
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

I just love my wave serpents. I'm going to be heading to a tournament soon, and I'll be recording my games. You guys will see my tacticas in action, and itll be against some very powerful/cheesy lists too. Check the army lists thread for the list im running...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Sep 2009, 19:09   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Eastern Fringe
Posts: 1,685
Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman
Default Re: Tactica- Wave Serpent

Ah, I came on here for the sole purpose of looking for your tactica. Let's see what's here.


I can say that I've played against every single one of those tactical deployments and usages of the Wave Serpent, with the added mixture of variety. I've seen everything from Howling Banshees inside a Lance-Serpent, to Eldrad with Warlocks inside a Rush-Serpent.

I take 2 Lance Serpents in my army. One has 10 Dire Avengers, the other has 6 Fire Dragons. It confuses the enemy because they always assume there is something "big and nasty close-combat" inside, and surprise, surprise.


But I've seen my cousin take six Dakka-Serpent 1s.

I've also used the Dakka-Serpent 2 myself, and when working with a Dakka-Serpent 1 and Fire Prism, things get really interesting.
__________________
If the Eldar see battle as a symphony,
Then the Elati have mastered a solo piece,
Of every instrument.


Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My new wave serpent bombevil Showcase 12 25 Nov 2009 02:38
my first wave serpent bombevil Showcase 5 08 Nov 2009 08:19
First Wave Serpent Mecha73 Showcase 3 12 Aug 2009 09:40
Wave Serpent sidestreaker Painting 13 26 Aug 2007 00:43
The Wave Serpent AmericanWarMonger Craftworld Eldar 15 10 Nov 2004 15:01