Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The Deadly Insect (Getting into Eldar)
Closed Thread
Old 28 Jun 2005, 00:59   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default The Deadly Insect (Getting into Eldar)

'Allo there!

As you may have seen me mention on occasion, I've been considering getting a small Eldar force to play with. For a while I had considered Dark Eldar, but I find myself very turned off by the poor looking models. (Though it still remains an option. My hobby store at school has the battle force for 50 bucks because nobody plays them!)

I looked at the Eldar statlines, and units, read the FAQs and unit evaluations on the forums, etc, and I find the array of possbilities to be downright dizzying!

I have kind of fallen for a concept, however. I like the idea of a 'deadly insect' army. One that *must* strike first, but does so with deadly precision, or else they'll be swatted down. It doesn't particuarly have to mean speed, as I consider the Howling Bansheees to fit into this fight style. They dominate the first round of combat, then may find themselves in trouble later, if they don't do a good job.

So, I'm considering creating a low point eldar force for some small games, and I'm looking for a good place to start.

I find myself in a bad spot though, because there aren't exactly any package deals that make my ideal army any easier.

My HQ would most likely be a Farseer. Though he can fleet of foot, I think it would be nice to mount him in a jetbike, for fun . I might end up converting a jet bike pilot into a warlocky thing somehow, rather than buying the expensive model and cutting him up to place him on one. Who knows.

I'd like to fit in a wave-serpent full of howling banshees in there somehow, but I don't know how practical that is. I mean, the wave serpent isn't open-topped, so won't the banshees get shot up a lot before they get a chance to assault?

As for the rest, I've taken a liking to swooping hawks, shining spears, jetbikes etc. I know I'm limiting myself a bit here, but I'm out more for fun than anything else.

I'm a bit at odds here. The play style I describe seems to fit the Dark Eldar perfectly, but it's hard to reconsile with how much I dislike their look. Does anyone have any suggestions for a 500 to 1000 point army for either of the two races? And how to go about collecting them? Conversion tips to save money? Etc.

Input much appreciated!

Old 29 Jun 2005, 02:48   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Re: The Deadly Insect (Getting into Eldar)

Looks like you need to play Beil-Tan. They can specialize in aspect warrior combat. They have the capabilities to stirke first and quickly with deadly accuracy. Transports full of striking scorpians, howling banshees or dire avengers are used to spearhead assaults in close - quarter combat. However I wouldn't recomend buying the battleforce if you do go for Beil-Tan because the use of guardians and vypers are restricted in the army.
Old 29 Jun 2005, 03:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

In a low-points small force, you can consider putting Banshees in a Falcon if there are not that many of them (</= 6).

I agree that you should look into Biel-Tan, beceause many of those wonderfull fast aspects become Troops. If you want pure speed and a bit less specialty, you could also try Saim-Hann (Jetbikes as Troops... I call those guys "The Eldar Speed Freeks")
Old 29 Jun 2005, 21:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I browsed the codex a bit, and I had a few questions:

With swooping hawks, I read somewhere else on the forum that they "put down an ordinance template, after they deepstrike" somehow dealing damage where the land? I have no idea if that's accurate, but I *did* notice the swooping hawks have a weapon called "Swooping Hawk Grenade Pack" which I can't seem to find the write-up for anywhere in the codex!

The swooping hawk Exarch can get the "sustained attack" special power. Are there any other psychic powers that would increase his chance of hitting in close combat, making him into an attack machine?

both Biel-Tan and Saim-Hann are both appealing to me right now.

Can Saim-Hann still use aspect warriors in respectable numbers?

If going for a bare-bones, 2 troops and an HQ, and maybe one other FOC slot what would you reccomend for either craftworld? Principle opponents are Tyranids, Marines, and Daemonhunters. I'd like the army to to have a prayer, but it needn't have much more! ^^

Here's what I'm thinking, keep in mind that I don't have a full grasp of what is legal for craftworld eldar.

Saim-Hann

Farseer in a Jet-Bike
--> Will Guide precious Vyper shots, as they are likely to be my only truly heavy weaponry at first.

2 Jetbike Warlocks
--> Will join the other 2 Jetbike squads, and assist with their powers.

2 Jetbike Squads OR 1 Jetbike Squad and a Guardian squad with a weapons platform?
--> The core.

Vyper Squadron
--> Much needed heavy weapons, on mobile platforms

Biel-Tan

Farseer

1 Howling Banshee Squad (Maybe to be replaced with scorpions, versus tyranids)
1 Fire Dragon Squad
1 Swooping Hawk Squad

I will *definitely* need some kind of unifying element here, and some support. But I'm looking for something that will be functional in a small game at first, before escalating to a large army that can take all comers. The fire dragons take the big stuff, the banshees take the power-armor, the swooping hawks take the infantry. Kind of a "rocks-paper-scisors" way of looking at things.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 00:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
With swooping hawks, I read somewhere else on the forum that they "put down an ordinance template, after they deepstrike" somehow dealing damage where the land? I have no idea if that's accurate, but I *did* notice the swooping hawks have a weapon called "Swooping Hawk Grenade Pack" which I can't seem to find the write-up for anywhere in the codex!
Look under "Swooping Hawk Leg Grenades/Grenade Pack" in the Armoury... :

Quote:
The swooping hawk Exarch can get the "sustained attack" special power. Are there any other psychic powers that would increase his chance of hitting in close combat, making him into an attack machine?
Using Enhance gives an Extra WS and I, although he is already a WS5, I6 killing machine.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 02:32   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

My hobby store at school has the battle force for 50 bucks because nobody plays them!)
[/quote]
u have a store at school? I wish i did! :'(
Old 30 Jun 2005, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

SM Hater: Haha, well, I had meant in the town my university is in. Which I'm not at now.

Auin'Myrrath: I swear to goodness that the page must be missing from this codex. There are no page numbering problems though. Strange...

Okay, I think I'm going mad or something. I combed, word by word, the armoury, and the wargear section. Nothin. Even weirder, the stats for a Wraithcannon are in here, but *not* the special rules. Bizzare!

Anyhow. I'm also giving thought to... *gasp* harlequins.

I've just got Eldar on the head, but I'm having a really hard time narrowing it down.

Solitares... *drool*
Old 30 Jun 2005, 04:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Yeah, Solitaires are incredible. The Swooping Hawk Grenade Pack is the last entry of wargear on (unnumbered) page 35, right above the picture in the bottom right.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 04:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Last entry says "Starcannon" ! And it's right above the picture of what looks like a fire-dragon. I can't have a 2nd ed codex though... Everything else is too accurate. *WEIRD*

Anyway. I put in some thought about doing some major conversion / stretching, to make somewhat of an amazoness harlequin army. I figured it might work out a little bit like this after a long time of collecting:

--------------------

*Great Harlequin*
Dark Eldar Lord, Female

*Shadow Seer*

*2 Solitares*
Dark Elf Witch elf 2
Dark Elf Witch elf 5

*3 Death Jesters*
Dark Elf Witch Musician
Eldar Dark Reaper Exarch
Eldar Fuegan The burning Lance

*6 Harlequins*
6 Dark Eldar Warriors

*6 Harlequins*
6 Dark Eldar Warriors

*2 Venoms*
2 Converted Eldar Vypers

---------------

Any first-hand experiences with any of the three, would be appreciated. I really do feel like a fish in a bowl with too much food.
Old 30 Jun 2005, 06:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The page reference is actually 36, and is the first entry there, under "Swooping Hawk Grenade Pack."
I also hear that Saim-Hain is pretty hard to use because of the low numbers, and Biel-Tan gives troubles if you don't assign roles well to everything before the battle starts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?