Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First aspect warriors to get
Old 06 Sep 2009, 11:22   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default First aspect warriors to get

Well I finally decided to try out Eldar currently I have 20 guardians and 2 striking scorpions. I usually fight Necrons, Space Marines, Orks, Tyranids and Imperial Guard. I was wondering what you would recommend I get as my first aspect Squad.
juiokl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 11:28   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: First aspect warriors to get

I dont play Eldar myself but a few of my mates do and they always go for Dire Avengers as they are the only Aspect Warriors that are troops (they dont use guardians) but i would go for Fire Dragons for there anti armour. Just my opinion
SimmWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 12:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Fire dragons are really only useful if they have a transport, otherwise they are a big walking 'shoot me!' sign as they try to approach to range. You said you already have 2 scorpions, maybe get a box of those to capitalize on what you already have. your 2 plus the 6 in the box with an exarch is a very repectable unit and the lack of mobility is made up for by their ability to outflank and move through cover. If you plan on using a Wave Serpent anyways though, dragons are a great choice.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 13:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

May I recommend looking at the Most-Read Eldar Topic Links?, it's basically where everything you need to know and how to effectively to use Eldar is compiled, and made by none-other than our Eldar players and veterans.

It has Guides to the Eldar and how to use them, 5th Ed Tactics and Unit Specific Guides and loads more!

Hopefully it will help you achieve in making an effective force, and furthermore, answers some of your questions.

Dark Adeptus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2009, 18:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Dark Reapers are just amazing! ;D I take 2 units with exarch's with tempest launchers and crack shot, the exarch's themselves usually manage to kill around 10-18 marines a turn, and thats without the rest of the squad!
TheCleavelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2009, 18:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

that's some lucky scatter dice man.
Old 17 Sep 2009, 19:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
that's some lucky scatter dice man.
Guide helps alot!
TheCleavelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2009, 20:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't like reapers other than as an afterthought. Not because they aren't wicked MEQ killers, they are... but they force my hand to have to play my army more static. They are bait for deepstrikers, bait for well... anything. While most of the army can move, shoot, fleet, assault, etc they have to just sit there as targets, which means you need a babysitter unit for them. Just repositioning them once wastes so much dakka you end up questioning yourself as they get approached (which they will). I like my armies to be more unpredictable and fluid. Reapers bog me down, aching with the decision of whether or not I should move them.

I have used them well in a couple of cases by putting all eggs in a basket, giving them Maug, plus a fortune/guide seer and using a couple of ranger squads as screens, but I dunno, I like to be more mobile. Reaper armies, like Wraithwalls, are a very different tactical angle to take than movey-shootey kind of armies which I think are our strongest asset.