Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wanted: Eldar Craftworld artwork
Old 04 Sep 2009, 20:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Wanted: Eldar Craftworld artwork

I am looking to build a table that is themed to be an eldar craftworld. the only significant images I have are from the codex, Apocolypse, and Planetstrike. I have looked fairly hard for what a craft world would look like and still am comming up short.

Is there any eldar out there who are enthoused by eldar and would like to have a craftworld table? If so I would appreciate your visual ideas and help in building a table. please post links or original images of what you think a craftworld should look like, and I'll try to build them. if someone happens to have an inside view of a craftworld already that would be great! I hope to build this table/craft inside by next summer. Your pictures greatly appreciated!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Sep 2009, 21:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to runer60000
Default Re: Wanted: Eldar Craftworld artwork

try playing dawn of war with eldar, or looking at gameplay videos of eldar. looking at all the buildings should give you a good idea of how eldar buildings look like. you should especially check out the eldar stronghold mission, since your fighting on an eldar base.
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 17:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would think that from a distance, they might look a bit like Bespin... like a big floating disc with spires and buildings sticking up out of it. An actual craftworld would probably take up a full basketball court, not a table. Maybe make a 'rim' section of it, with the outer defenses and docking bays on one deploy zone, and the entrance to the inner city area on the other. I have no art to share, but I imagine tall slender spires, smooth walls with slight curvature to them, no straight hard lines, everything kind of flowing into each other.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 23:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
try playing dawn of war with eldar, or looking at gameplay videos of eldar. looking at all the buildings should give you a good idea of how eldar buildings look like. you should especially check out the eldar stronghold mission, since your fighting on an eldar base.
Thanks for the suggestions! I appreciate it!
ya tried that and all of the buildings are really small. Tell me: as an eldar would you build your world with terrain like that? Mainly would you use thos small buildings as HQ and the vehicle pads as such?

the best suggestion that I have had so far, is "build the massive webway portal that is in the background of the cover of the codex" which I am guessing is about 16in. tall and 12 in. wide to scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
I would think that from a distance, they might look a bit like Bespin... like a big floating disc with spires and buildings sticking up out of it.
So would a floating Tau bastion! (I just realised this last night) I may do this for area terrain/buildings at least as an option

Quote:
An actual craftworld would probably take up a full basketball court, not a table.
thanks for putting some perspective on it! alright I want to build a secion of a craft world, or modulars that can be arranged to different sections
Quote:
Maybe make a 'rim' section of it, with the outer defenses and docking bays on one deploy zone, and the entrance to the inner city area on the other. I have no art to share, but I imagine tall slender spires, smooth walls with slight curvature to them, no straight hard lines, everything kind of flowing into each other.
Thanks! this plus playing Dawn of War does give me some basis. If you come accross any art to help me out or know of some artists, please send them my way.

In the mean time I have more thinking and planning to do. appreciate all the input I can get!

Edit: Circus the Games Developer did you mean something like: http://craftworld-iyanden.blogspot.com/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafe
We altered the age old art of calling shotgun to now be known as calling Plasma Rifle on my car :P
Scratch-built Tau Manta . Scratch-built Tau Orca Drop Ship. Scratch-built Tau Barricuda. Scratch-built Tau Bastion.
Scratch-built Thunderhawk Dropship. Scratch-built 1:72nd scale Space Marine Landing Craft.
Scratch-built Chaos super-heavy dreadclaw drop pod/army transport.
hardcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Sep 2009, 23:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
I would think that from a distance, they might look a bit like Bespin... like a big floating disc with spires and buildings sticking up out of it. An actual craftworld would probably take up a full basketball court, not a table. Maybe make a 'rim' section of it, with the outer defenses and docking bays on one deploy zone, and the entrance to the inner city area on the other. I have no art to share, but I imagine tall slender spires, smooth walls with slight curvature to them, no straight hard lines, everything kind of flowing into each other.
No, they are MUCH freakier than that. In one book (It might even be the main rulebook) there's a picture of Iyanden. It's awesome.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2009, 05:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Colonel Marksman

I like my cousin's ideal behind Craftworlds.

His Craftworld has inter-connecting domes, each with their own, self-contained habitats. His Elati Craftworld is a merge of a group of outcasts living on a moon picked up by a Craftworld that was nearly destroyed by war. The actual, original Craftworld was filled with an older population that clashes with the wave of young and new. But the Craftworld had been whittled down in population to such an extent that there is unexplored regions of domes with their own set of natural animals and ecosystems.

This makes it interesting because the Elati Craftworld is a mercenary one. It trades weapons, supplies, technology, training, and information from all the other Craftworlds in return for war services. So they have jetbike arenas and race-tracks, all kinds of habitats that allows them to train in deserts, forests, ice-capped mountains, and abandoned urban areas.

The largest curiosity is what lies in the center of the Craftworld, where "Avatar's throne" is supposed to be, where they forge an Avatar of the Bloody Handed God. Since this Craftworld has abandoned that worship, it's only a mystery of what's inside.

You can find some interesting concepts on Deviant Art.

Games in the Past Month:
Tau: W-1, T-0, L-1
Witch H: W-0, T-0, L-0
Eldar: W-2, T-0, L-1
Guard: W-0, T-0, L-0
Other: W-2, T-1, L-0
Colonel Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote