Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar Titans
Old 02 Sep 2009, 07:20   #1 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Eldar Titans

I know the Tau abhor such things (despite what Tau players churn out in the House Rule/Apoclypse Boards) but what makes Eldar create Titans of their own? I know they're fast (due to their very light-weight construction material but still as durable) but aren't they just asking to be shot as well? After all, they're just as big. Also, how do they perform when compared to Imperial Titans? What are their defenses? Firepower?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2009, 08:38   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Eldar Titans

Actually from what i've heard about eldar titans, they're ridiculously small. (they're classed as scout titans mostly.) They can quite easily hide behind a medium sized building on a hive world, which a battle titan would tower over. as for their weapons, they usually have twin pulsars or twin laser lances i think, along with titan missile launchers.

The main battle titans (as far as i can remember) were warlock class titans, which were much larger, with much more powerful guns (which is hard to believe as the pulsars are some-thing like a vibro cannon.... but on steroids) This is why they're so lightly armed.

Also, don't forget that with the webway, the eldar could transport as many of these as they wanted onto a planet, with relative ease. This would mean that a fair few titans could suddenly appear out of no-where and beat the hell out of you, before an effective defense could be organised. ;D
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2009, 08:44   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

I think Eldar Titans are quite similar in size to Imperial Titans (height-wise), they are just a lighter build. Their smaller ones are a similar size to a Warhound, larger ones are more like Reaver or Warlord size.

Also as I understand it Pulsars are more like massive Bright Lances or Pulse Lasers, not Vibro Cannons. They don't have Laser Lances...as those are the weapons Shining Spears use.
Old 02 Sep 2009, 09:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

There's a few reasons, but honestly foremost amongst them is probably that the concept of an Eldar Titan was created before GW really started thinking about how their fictional armies would operate =P now they actually think about that they're not going to give Tau titans for the hell of it, but they can't really retcon the existence of Phantoms and Revenants etc.

In setting, I'd say it comes down to their technology first. They are capable of making machines that size with the exact same mobility level that an Eldar warrior would have were he that size. As such they make a great platform for mounting obscenely large weaponry on (such as pulsars, sonic lances and larger).

Second I'd put it down to arrogance. This is one of the defining characteristics of the Eldar and as such it makes sense to me that it'd be a reason why they do what they do. The Imperial and Chaos titans are celebrations of faith and weapons of terror, Eldar Titans are really neither but the downsides are negated by the vehement Eldar belief that anything they build is better than those foolish mon'keigh contraptions!

And third technology again. They're just as big as the Imperial Titans yes, but they have something important that Imperial Titans don't have - holofields. They can hide in plain sight, and for something as big as a titan that's an immense boost to its survivability.

I really believe it's really equal parts all those reasons (including the production based reason at the start) as to why the Eldar have titans.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2009, 09:39   #5 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Alright, they're just as agility and mobility as any Aspect Warrior if they were that size, they can hide in plain sight and carry guns just as powerful and destructive as Imperial Titan weapons. Wow, first time I've ever heard a Titan having Stealth mode.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2009, 09:42   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Holofields don't make things invisible, just very hard to hit, and even harder if they move. It's like trying to hit a swarm of pixels that becomes more and more sparse as the object speeds up.
Old 02 Sep 2009, 09:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restayvien
Holofields don't make things invisible, just very hard to hit, and even harder if they move. It's like trying to hit a swarm of pixels that becomes more and more sparse as the object speeds up.
I know how holofields work, i.e. not a cloaking device, but my point was no other race has anything like that on a vehicle that large.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2009, 09:47   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Also as I understand it Pulsars are more like massive Bright Lances or Pulse Lasers, not Vibro Cannons. They don't have Laser Lances...as those are the weapons Shining Spears use.
Oops my mistake. i was thinking of sonic lances. Forgive me my ignorance of apocalypse data sheets, i've only ever skimmed through the book once, and it was a bout a year ago :-[

7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2009, 10:15   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionable Sexuality
Quote:
I know how holofields work, i.e. not a cloaking device, but my point was no other race has anything like that on a vehicle that large.
Yeah I was just clearing it up for Zenny, as I didn't think 'stealth' really described it's function that well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by count cone head
Quote:
Oops my mistake. i was thinking of sonic lances. Forgive me my ignorance of apocalypse data sheets, i've only ever skimmed through the book once, and it was a bout a year ago :-[
Oh yeah Sonic Lances are pretty much scaled up Vibro Cannons AFAIK.
Old 02 Sep 2009, 22:56   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questionable Sexuality
Quote:
Disruption Pods used to be working on some Tau fliers.

Now they retconned/errata'd that option away from us. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote