Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldrad
Old 02 Sep 2009, 04:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Eldrad

I've been thinking about using Eldrad in an upcoming campaign (particularly a 2.5k list, and it's take-all-comers, but appears predominantly MEq armies), & more than a little because of Mr. Shakey's work here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Shakey
Eldrad: Supportive. He is easily our most recognizable special character, because he is so immensley powerful. For the points you pay you get immense amount of psychic ability, an extremely tough individual, and the ability to re-deploy some of your force. He works in nearly every army, adding guide to gunlines, doom to assault, and fortune to defensive armies.

Numbers: He does best with other squads, I usually see him being run with a warlock bodyguard or in a unit with wraithguard. On his own puts him at slight risk of being sniped, but he is pretty reliable with a re-rollable 3+ inv save. The problem is, if he is on his own and he is using fortune on himself, he isn't doing what he is supposed to, boosting the rest of the army.

Deployment: With ablative wounds around him... Simple. In a transport is okay too....

Targets The main attack point, where the toughest enemies are. His boosting capabilities make a huge difference, and the fact he can affect more than the standard seer makes him immensley powerful.
While these are all useful tips they are a bit vague (no doubt because of his immense versatility) so I was pondering the best army composition to benefit from Eldrad's significant contributions, while maintaining enough fluffy-ness to avoid calls of cheese. I.E. With enough Guardians to look ~Ulthwe-ish...
[hr]

This is kind of an attempt to spark a more specific discussion of what units are suited to best using Eldrad's abilities (and how to use fluffy units with him) I'd like to keep tips kind of focused on Mechanized forces, because that's what I like to use, but anything is okay I guess...

Basically I'm trying to call on others' experience here :. How do you guys use Eldrad (if you do) and what works best?

Or is he so ridiculous I should just make a 2290pt list and add Eldrad afterwards? :funny:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2009, 01:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to runer60000
Default Re: Eldrad

i dont know about fluff-wise, but i got a few ideas on what you can do.

well although i never use guardians, you could fortune some squads of them that have a conceal warlock to make them survivable. you can guide rangers for more accurate fire. guiding multiple squads with BS3 or whatever you need to fire more accurately would seem nice if your gonna keep him back with your heavies. if your playing horde armies, maybe just fire off multiple eldritch storms for some firepower.
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2009, 12:21   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The big three combo I have had success with is to run him with a full squad of Bladestormers in a Wave Serpent, along with a second squad of assault troops for the follow up. The bladestormers are Guided, and their target is Doomed (not just the power, they are just plain doomed if you pull this on pretty much any target), then followed up by a charge from a Fortuned squad of assault troops to finish the job.

I'm sure there are other combos (doomed target+fortune+guide on static reapers standing in the open for instance), but in general, the few times I actually unleash him, I find that using all his support powers in concentration on a combo against a single target works well.

If anyone cries 'cheese' for you using Eldrad in a non-Ulthwe fluffed army, tell them to learn to count and show them his points cost compared to the cost of a tzeentch sorceror or a librarian. They all cry cheese. Every army has something unbalanced. Heck, if they play Marines or Orks and cry cheese, just point out their basic troop statline vs points cost, and show them the statline of any more expensive aspect warrior by comparison. That should shut them up.

(edit just to add something else regarding Guardian fluff appearance)

All Eldar vehicles are piloted by Guardians, so you can still have plenty of them accompanying your warhost, they don't just have to be the ineffective foot-slogging infantry Guardians. A squad of 3 jetbikes, a Vyper, Wave Serpent, Warwalker, and Support weapon with crew make 10 visible guardian models, and are all much more game-effective than 10 fragile footsloggers with pathetic range guns. If you find it necessary to add a squad of meat just for the look I would keep it cheap, and well out of the way, just using it as an endgame objective taker.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Sep 2009, 16:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I feel that when i use Eldrad to his full potential is in situations to benifit from his ability to cast the same spell twice in a turn (it will usually end up being guide or Fortune from my experiance). Unlike a SS Farseer who can cast two spells but must cast two seperate spells, the third spell granted by his staff can be the same spell he's already casted from his normal two spells. For example:

- Running a Wraith Wall List with a 10x Wraith Guard "Wall" with Eldarad added to the unit, 2x Wraith Lords and a Squad of Harliquins following close behind the wall. As you are advancing you cast your Fortune on the Guard, Lock, Eldard unit and Cast Guide on each of the Wraith Lords. When you get in range for your Haliquins to charge, Switch it up to Doom on their target and Fortune on the Wall and The Harliquins.

*** Another note on using Eldrad in a Wraith Wall. It is generally a good idea since on the rare chance of you failing to casting fortune on your first roll you can attempt it again with his staff and as we all know fortune is essential for an effective wraith wall.

- You have a Static gun Line with some war walkers and Dark Reapers. Put Eldrad with the Reapers in cover and Guide the Walkers and Reapers as well as casting fortune on the eldrad/reaper squad.

- Using Mind war twice a turn can also be fairly nasty. If he's in the situation of being near 2 juciey targets or even as a just in case the first mindwar didnt do the trick... have another.

With all this said I will say you will have a harder time using him in a fast moving mech list however he will still perform very well. However I personally think he's at his best with wraith wall, he can be a powerful addition to any eldar list.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2009, 02:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Useful tips all.

I especially like Guitardian's tip about the 1-2-3 combo. A unit of Avengers, and then a squad of Shadowseer Harlequins might be a good unit to do this with?

Keep 'em coming if you got more
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2009, 03:26   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

While putting Eldrad in a unit of Wratihguard or anything else sounds like a nice idea, there is one big issue I have with it:

Once he gets into combat, he's all by himself, and the enemy can divide attacks against him.

This is not the case in an all powerful seer council. Which helps Eldrad immensely since he essentially gets 3+ extra ablative warlock wounds.

I'm just throwing that out there.
Barbed Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2009, 03:57   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

How to best use Eldrad really depends on what style of list you are running. Personally I run a wraithwall list with mechanised flankers and harlie counter charge support.

In the early game, the harlies are safely hidden by their veil. The wraithwall get fortune, then I can either fortune a wraithlord, or a dragon wagon (if I have a big bad tank etc that just has to go!) plus guide my wraithlord.

Mid game, this will switch (as noted above) to fortune the wall and harlies whilst dooming the enemy assaulters.

Late game the ability to choose from the entire psychic playbook lets me adapt as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbed Wind
While putting Eldrad in a unit of Wratihguard or anything else sounds like a nice idea, there is one big issue I have with it:

Once he gets into combat, he's all by himself, and the enemy can divide attacks against him.
I agree, however there are some simple precautions you can do to avoid this.
[list type=decimal][*]Don't get into close combat! Counter charge units, wraithlords, wave serpents heck just about anything else nearby should screen the wall when needed.[*]If close combat looks likely, a wraith wall is generally loooonnnnggg. So simply move Eldrad to the far end of the line. Usually this means he can avoid the first round of combat, or at least minimise the number of minis he comes into contact with (alternatively, you may want him in the thick of things, thus you can maneouvre to ensure this as well). This gives you a extra turn to get your counter charge ready to set him free.[/list]
Another tip with Eldrad, if you get the right dice roll, generally going first is adviseable. This maximises his ability to reposition your troops (well, D3+1) after your enemy has deployed. (This is situational)

Good luck.
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Sep 2009, 04:11   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbed Wind

This is not the case in an all powerful seer council. Which helps Eldrad immensely since he essentially gets 3+ extra ablative warlock wounds.

I'm just throwing that out there.
The seer council is from an old codex. I thought it was replaced by the squad of warlocks, who unfortunately, will allow him to be singled out too. They are not ablative wounds, just a squad like any other that he can attach to.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote