Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar Help
Old 01 Sep 2009, 20:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Eldar Help

Hi Guys,

straight to the point- when all my Tau are painted and finished, I was thinking of doing another army, but not too many points (500-750) and so far my 'maybes' are Marines, chaos, and Eldar

For Eldar I would like to do an Ulthw'e list, 'cos psychers are so cool
what would be best at this points level, a full blown seer counsil (lead by a farseer), a council without a fseer, or just a plain farseer?

also, with regards to troops, how are they?, do they perform well?, also, what about points values?, (dunno if i can ask that, if i can't please tell me so i dont get anyone into trouble )
Old 01 Sep 2009, 20:16   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Eldar Help

IMO a seer council would be a huge point sink at this level. Maybe consider 2 farseers with dire guardians and some support platforms?
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2009, 20:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

hmm, what about transports?, I wanna field an army that can move about, at least that way i dont get bogged down in close quater fighting, (I imagine that's not one of the eldars strongpoints
Old 01 Sep 2009, 20:30   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

With Eldar you'll find it hard to have much fighting capability at 500 points and even 750 you'll be struggling as you need a variety of units to make up for other units weaknesses.

At about 1000 I would personally use a core such as the following:
  • Farseer w/ Doom, Guide, Spirit Stones @ 120 points This is your psycher
  • 6 Scorpions w/ Serpent (Lances) @ 231 A bit of shooting might, fast transport and hard hitting combat troops
  • 10 Avengers @ 120 Lots of bullets, good 4+ save

After this add another troop (probably guardians for Ulthwe) and some more units untill you have 1000 points but the above is only what i like to use as my core

CC is the Eldar strongpoint
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Sep 2009, 20:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oddly enough you kinda sound like me few months ago, (I just got Eldar, 1000 points barely) but anyways.

Well for transports you have 2 choices: Falcon and Waveserpent. Now the Falcon is weird in that it is a Heavy Slot, going with that, it can only transport 6 models. Wave Serpents are dedicated transports, carrying twice that. Neither necessarily is point heavy to start, but may get expensive. So if you want your guardians (and paltform) to be mounted, you are looking at a WS. Dire Avengers if a small squad can ride the Falcon.

From my understanding, Eldar can be made to be quite gruesome in CC, with either Banshees or Scorpions; neither of which I own. At low points, I would imagine they would be a decent chunk of your army, so be sure your Farseer makes the most of of that squad.

I do agree with henbobbleb that a full blown council would be be a bit much. But at these low point levels that farseer's abilities are relatively powerful. On the army list boards there were quite a few 500 points lists going up a while ago so I would swing by there for specifics.

So yea, maybe a couple squads of Guardians and or DAs. A Farseer at this level would be great, and as well might as well throw in a falcon and or WS if going for that mechanized feel.

There are plenty of tactics to accommodate this build, and I find mechanized to be the best for my style, sorry if I was too off track.
Old 01 Sep 2009, 20:52   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

cheers for all your help guys , appreciate it, one thing though, the current farseer models, as a matter of interest, are the heads already attached, or do you have to glue 'em on?, wouldn't mind doing an un-helmeted version, always nice to see the guy who's making your mind into mush >
Old 02 Sep 2009, 09:42   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The farseer models both have helmets attached unforetunately.

I might also point out that spears are beastly if you can get 'em into combat unscathed.

7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2009, 11:09   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

really, I heard on Heresy that the farseers came without heads attached? ???

I asked if you had to glue the head on, to which someone replied 'Yes, you do. Except the ones in the Seer Council box, they are one-piece. And Eldrad, he's one piece too'

hmm, i dunno, anyone else have any idea?, do you have to glue the head on?
Old 02 Sep 2009, 14:01   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Well, I can tell you for sure that my farseer's head is firmly attached to his body, no option to glue. The other farseers that were there looked to be the same, one piece.
Old 02 Sep 2009, 21:32   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If you buy the Farseer and 3 warlock box set, the farseer's head is not attached.

But I agree with most, Eldar are going to be a bit wimpy at 500. At 750 I would probably go.

Farseer
Stones, Doom, Fortune 130

10 Dire Avengers
Exarch Dual Shurican Bladestorm 152
Wave Serpent
Stones EML 130

3 Jetbikes
Shuriken Cannon
1 Lock Jetbike
Embolden Spear

10 Striking Scorpions
Exarch, Scorpion Claw, Shadowstrike 207