Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

old eldar, what were they like?
Old 22 Aug 2009, 01:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default old eldar, what were they like?

now i just had this thought about the old eldar empire, and what they were like when they were stll alive.

in the codex it says that they basically awakened slannesh and most of them died from that.

my question is about the eldar themselves before this happened.

what would they be like?? they were the most techonlogically advanced race in the galaxy (apart from the old ones) and at this time there were no paths to follow, they just did whatever the hell they wanted. they had IMMENSE psychic powers, like the ability to destroy SUNS. they numbered in the trillions, had the best weaponry in the galaxy and could just as easily destroy your solar system as invade your planet!

so what kind of warrior could possibly be the equal of them? primarchs?? i doubt it. (sorry sapce marines, please dont bolter me!!) the emperor? maybe.

i realise that the empereor and primarchs came after these eldar, but what mortal force could destroy the eldar?
(sorry if this is the wrong board)
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2009, 01:37   #2 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Re: old eldar, what were they like?

This would likely be better in the Fluff section, but i'll give my answer

While the Eldar were certainly the premier power in the galaxy, they didn't go unopposed. Orks were still around, and they didn't colonize every planet, only the ones near the Eye. As far as i know, the present day (M41) Imperium of Man is larger than the Eldar Empire.
Their Shiruken launcher technology is surpasses by humanities weapons, and even the Tau. Their understanding of Warp tech is probably the greatest, next to possibly human followers of Tzeench
Old 22 Aug 2009, 01:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Far beyond Primarchs. The 100 warriors who accompanied Khaine were able to stand against the Nightbringer and only fell because of a faulty weapon. We're talking about the most powerful warrior psykers bearing the most amazing technology imaginable.

I'm not sure anything could have stood equal to them. That's sort of the idea. Nothing could stand against them - which is why they fell.

I imagine if we're pitting pre-fall Eldar against 40k enemies - Daemon Primarchs could probably stand against them. But that's about it. Nothing else bears such a centralized power, IMO.

Am I being a fanboy? Perhaps. But I keep coming back to Khaine's force of 100 warriors. I don't think the Emperor and the Primarchs could take Nightbringer...and that was pretty much the creme de la creme of the Imperium. On the other hand, Horus broke Sanquinius pretty easily. So a Daemon Primarch is considerably stronger than a Primarch. So I'm guessing that something like Angron or Magnus could take one of the Swords of Vaul.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2009, 01:49   #4 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Cmon, that story was just a myth, there's no way that many eldar would be able to do that. Besides, the Necrons would just flay them, no need to run at the spinny elves of double death
Old 22 Aug 2009, 02:10   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

They were more powerful psykers than anything that ever lived, more evolved as a civilization than any that had ever been, they were gods in their own heads because of their ancient culture which had no rival from the imperium of man, and orks were like a herd of gorillas to them. Their own pride birthed a demon, splattered their civilization, and sent them off to lick their wounds for millenia, giving the primitive races a window of opportunity to catch up in their own technologies. Eldar had lasers and shuriken and wraithbone and psykic swords and spirit stones and so on when humans were swinging from trees. They did it to themselves, and as such, what they considered as 'lesser' races that they could have easily dominated, had a chance to come up on their own. Primarchs got nothing on Eldanesh. It is conjectured that much about the primarchs is just myth too, but all myths come from some ancient, potentially mistranslated or misunderstood truth. Just look at our own world, with The Song Of Roland, Beowulf, King Arthur, Jesus, and a zillion others. I'm sure those guys existed in one way or another historically, but I doubt if Roland actually slew a hundred men with a stroke of his sword.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2009, 04:17   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

good point about the daemon primarchs i hadn't though of them. and i've never heard of khaine and 100 eldar taking on the night bringer that is absolutely awesome.

on a completely ridiculous side note, how do you think these ancient eldar would be represented in game terms??? (not thinking of an awful fan codex btw just interested) they would be ridiculously powerful and all of them would be psykers, which would be very interesting, if over powered.

"i cast bolt of absolute anihillation at your terminators."

"ok"

"i passed my psychic test"

"now what"

"they die"

you get the idea im sure...
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2009, 04:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The fluff behind ancient Eldar is that they were so powerful and dominating that the only thing that could threaten them was themselves, which is what happened, and made them the weak and desperate struggling species they are nowadays when they psychically imploded most of their civilization. Before that, to all the fledgeling developing species that may have encountered them, they must have seemed like gods. We have our own alien-conspiracy theory type stuff about ancient aliens causing the pyramids and such. I imagine they were percieved similar to that. (funny how the Eldar also have egyptian imagery in their look, do you think GW did that by accident?)
Old 22 Aug 2009, 05:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

...I don't know. I think the Emperor could have been considered an equal, in the least, to these pre-Slannesh Eldar. :-\

Though, this does bring up a interesting question. If they were so powerful then, why arn't they that strong now? Some sort of genetic degeneration, or something? ???

Blarg, I'm a penguin! 8D

'They Are My Space Marines' tribute video, by ruckuz88

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

Emperor Zoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Aug 2009, 08:06   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think they are. But they killed so many of themselves off with the fall that they are no longer a force to be reckoned with on a galactic scale. If Abbadon is considered second only to Horus, and Horus mortally wounded the Emperor, and Eldrad could bash up Abbadon, then it stands to reason that all of those entities are on about the same page. Assuming that Eldrad is the last of the great seers of old, I assume that the elder Eldar (ha that sounded funny) were all powerful like him, which would make for a sick army (2000 points? umm... 5 eldrads and a bunch of warlocks)
Old 22 Aug 2009, 12:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Okay, time to play myth busters for the myth-theorists out there. Let's look at the facts:

1 ) Fact: Khaine is a real being.
2 ) Fact: Khaine really did defeat Nightbringer.
3 ) Fact: Vaul is a real being.
4 ) Fact: Vaul really did create amazingly devastating weapons for the Eldar.
5 ) Fact: The Eldar defeated the Necrons.
6 ) Fact: The Eldar defeated the Orks.
7 ) Fact: The Eldar created an empire that was so stable and unquestioningly secure that they literally had a millennia long orgy.
8 ) Fact: Even 10,000+ years after the collapse of their civilization, Eldar still wield technology that is well beyond most of the rest of the galaxy.

Now, given those facts, what makes you think that the Swords of Vaul cycle is so far off? Imagine Eldar with the powers of Alpha level psykers but the discipline to stay alive. Imagine Eldar who have honed their skills in battle for centuries, constantly pushing themselves harder and harder. Imagine Eldar who are equipped with the most devastating and powerful psycho-organic technology the galaxy has ever seen. Now combine the three.

This isn't myth, that's the reality of Eldar history.

Rather than an army of Eldrads, imagine and army of Eldar Wraithlords that are all psykers with Eldrad's psychic abilities and equipment. That's probably closer to a pre-fall Eldar army, IMO.

But the fact remains that the Swords of Vaul cycle is probably less myth than some posters here have said it is. Were they literal Swords? I doubt that very much. Was there really a fight like that? Yep. Did the Eldar win? Yes. So that in itself is an amazing bit of evidence that the cycle is rooted in truth.

[/fanboism]
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote