Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactica- Banshees
Old 18 Aug 2009, 07:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tactica- Banshees

I'm bored at work, so here is the next one:

Numbers: I find they work best in squads of 10. They will win most assaults they enter, but use them carefully. You don't want to target squads that will be completely decimated in one turn, unless they are an isolated unit. So either take them at full numbers, or 6+. Anything less and there is too high a chance they will be destroyed by a hidden powerfist.

Deployment: Wave Serpent. Pure and simple. The girls need to get close to do damage, and the wave serpent gets them there. If using a squad of 6 a falcon works too. If using them as a counter assault unit, in cover and going to ground for the first turn works.

Exarch: This is honestly one of the more confusing ones for me. All the abilities are quite good. I'm cyrrently running an executioner and war shout exarch, and she dissappoints me quite often (But thats due to bad luck on rolls) Mirrorswords are great, but only take them if you have a doomseer nearby to help. Otherwise, you won't be able to do the damage the executioner can do. The other reason I take an executioner is it means I can wound tough units much easier (Plague marines, bikers) Plus if they get in combat with something T7+ (Talos, Carnifex) they can still do damage. The executioner also adds a little bit of tank hunting capability. The powers are okay additives. Acrobatic is only really useful against assault orientated armies, because who honestly charges banshees? Warshout honestly surprises me.... Its worked about 4 times total, and it catches the enemy off guard. I'd only recommend taking it if you have points spare.

Targets Anything without an armour value.... Terminators get shredded, as do marines, guard (who may hit at WS 1), Tyranids, Plague Marines. If targetting anything toughness 4 and above, carry a doomseer nearby. Leaving the seer in the transport whilst the girls do some shredding works wel, and can also supply some defense against dreadnoughts and other walkers.

Little Extras To Add Some Oomph!

Doomseer its a near neccessity! 5's to wound sucks, and the re-roll makes it beautiful! Fortune isn't too shabby either. Plus the seer adds walker protection too...

Jain Zar Is the only time I wouldn't bother with a doomseer. She adds enough damage, makes them fearless and gives a little walker protection... But be careful of powerfists, they will target her in an instant!

Yriel Okay, so there is another time when you may not need a doomseer. He adds easy wounding attacks, higher Ld, and unlike Jain, he has an Inv. He is also a better Walker hunter than Jain Zar or a farseer. He can also through his spear at a transport, spilling its cargo.

I believe that the Banshee is the Eldar's main shock troop. They are best used to cause massive destruction to the enemies main power-units, like terminators, Monstrous Creatures (T6 and below) and most units with FNP.

Finally some do's and don'ts

Do shoot pistols occasionally. Against a unit with a high Inv save (assault termies) those occasional lucky wounds do come in handy.
Do Not be too cocky with their charge distance. If the front member is in charge range, but you aren't sure of the others, use your fleet roll to get that little bit closer. You need all the atacks you can get, so make sure everyone is close enoug to fight.
Do Not Leave the girls in the open, or even behind cover. Whirlwinds and predator destructors love hunting these girls. Cover saves are your friend, as are transports.
Do set your wave serpent to work with them. I use a serpent equipped with TL scatterlasers and shuriken cannon.... and it helps! Its can keep other units back, or help make a dint in the armour the banshees need to get past.
Do Notbe afraid to use fortune on them too. Its quite handy keeping them from dying.

Any comments/suggestions/questions, feel free to launch them at me...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 08:27   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Tactica- Banshees

What about the Pimptarch? He is pretty handy sometimes.

(if you do not know Pimptarch = Autarch in howling banshee squad with power weapon, mandibles, and shurkien pistol)
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Aug 2009, 09:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

6 extra power weapon attacks for howling banshees aren't really needed.... And if the opponent has a powerfist in their squad, they may be able to target the Autarch and get an extra 2 wounds against the squad. Honestly, the HQ slot he'd take up is better for a farseer, Phoenix lord, Spear Tarch, or avatar...
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I run a fortune/doom seer with my screamin' ladies. They never disappoint. Thanks for the tactica.

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2009, 10:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The only problem is fortune doesn't give much protection if they get shot at with heavy bolters.... unless there is cover...
Old 21 Aug 2009, 00:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I Usually hope to drop the Banshees off in a position that they won't be able to get shot at much. Of course that doesn't always happen, but some times it helps if I have a big scary bullet sponge like the Avatar or a Wraithlord acting as a distraction.

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Old 21 Aug 2009, 00:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I'll tell you what my problem is with Banshees. Wave Serpents do not suit assault troops. There I've said it. They are the worst transport ever for assault troops. I need to get out the back and hoper to get the charge before someone takes the serpent down or moves his troops out of charge range. Eldar suck at cc. I'm still using my Harlies because you cannot target them until I'm within charge range. Veil of Tears almost renders weapons like Heavy Bolters useless because it nullifies there range. They also have plasma, flip belts, hit and run, etc. They do not need a serpent. The troupe master has a power weapon.

Banshees eat through meqs. I admit this. But they die quickly if you cannot pull off your attacks properly and your opponent should know this. I find them easy to defend against. They are cheaper then Harlies but I still wouldn't field them. Even in a mech list I would rather use a Seer council as my main cc unit.

Now this is IMHO, folks. Use them if you like them.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Aug 2009, 01:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

The basic way I run my banshees, let them move a little closer, get within charge range, then next turn deploy and fleet to assault. It works everytime....
Old 21 Aug 2009, 11:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wait, are you deploying fleeting and assaulting in the same turn? Because you can't do that.

I will agree the Serpent is not the greatest assault transport. If only we had something similar to a Land Raider with assault hatches.

Old 21 Aug 2009, 15:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Provided the wpent doesn't move before the banshees get out they are allowed to get out, move their full distance, fleet and assault. Also, don't be that afraid of them blowing the wave serpent up due to combat, banshees get out and rip enemy apart...