Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vs the Inquisition
Old 14 Aug 2009, 16:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Vs the Inquisition

So i'm getting ready to play my first Eldar game against my buddy, and he lets me know he's going to field Grey Knights/Witch Hunters. I've never faced them personally and know next to nothing about them. He tells me about Psykers that don't have to take tests. Abilities that lower my Leadership, auto-wound my psykers, and a whole plethera of nasty little tricks.

So my questions are, which units should be priority targets? Which nasties are going to give me the most trouble? Do Psychic Hoods have an effect on Destructor? And, who should i avoid CC with, etc? Any tips/advise will be greatly appreciated.

FYI, i'm fielding a Seer council + Autarch on bikes, a Jetbike squad, a full squad of DA in a serpent, and a wraithlord. (BL+EML)
Old 14 Aug 2009, 17:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Vs the Inquisition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha73
I've never faced them personally and know next to nothing about them. He tells me about Psykers that don't have to take tests.
I'm not aware of any Psykers in =I= armies that don't have to take tests. They can get bonuses but they still have to take tests as far as I know.

Quote:
Abilities that lower my Leadership, auto-wound my psykers, and a whole plethera of nasty little tricks.
WH's do indeed have some nasty tricks. Psycannons can ignore your invuln saves and rape your Seers. There are a number of other mean things that can happen as well. Honestly, I wouldn't bring any psykers to the table against a WH army.

Quote:
So my questions are, which units should be priority targets? Which nasties are going to give me the most trouble? Do Psychic Hoods have an effect on Destructor? And, who should i avoid CC with, etc? Any tips/advise will be greatly appreciated.
Target priority depends largely on what he fields. HQ's are almost always priority. Anything fast is a priority too (like Serephim). Psychic Hoods don't effect any powers that don't actually make Psychic tests (unless it has changed). Avoid the anti-psyker assassin at all costs.

Quote:
FYI, i'm fielding a Seer council + Autarch on bikes, a Jetbike squad, a full squad of DA in a serpent, and a wraithlord. (BL+EML)
I'd avoid the Seer council if you have something else. There are simply too many things in a WH army that will kill it. Dire Avengers could be decent. Banshees could be pretty good as well. Harlequins might get hurt because of their Shadowseer dependency.

If you simply must take the council, take Embolden, Fortune, Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, and Conceal.

You might be able to swing it if you can turbo boost on turn one and get in his face with your cover save then take him out on the second turn. You'd have to weather a turn of possible charges and such. But you might be able to do it.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Aug 2009, 18:01   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks Emlyn.

Unfortunately, since i'm just getting started on my Eldar, this is all i have at the moment. But i'm working to enlarge my army as fast as i can get that paint on there. ;D

I'll post up my result later tonight.

I might not do TOO bad. It's his first time with Grey Knights as well. ;D
Old 15 Aug 2009, 01:12   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

A bike council is less vulnerable to psycannons and things because they have the 3+ armor save from the bike anyway. That said, with his unlimited range psychic hoods and the Aegis on his GK units, getting off Farseer offensive powers like Doom or Mindwar is a pretty tall order. If you must take the farseer and council, focus on buffs like Fortune and Guide, where he only has his psychic hood to try negate them. I'm less familiar with the assassins, though they certainly have some nasty anti-pskyer abilities, it'd be a good idea to look at his codex before you play and be aware of their capabilities. As for destructor, it's unaffected by Psychic Hoods (hoods only work on powers requiring a test), though the Aegis may still affect it on Grey Knight squads. And as Emlyn pointed out, every psyker in the Inquisition has to take psychic tests, if he tells you otherwise you may want to ask him to show you the rules. Now, he may be talking about Acts of Faith if he's running any Sisters of Battle squads, however those are not psychic powers and have to take their own form of test anyway. In the end, my advice is, if it's both your first time using/facing =I=, just make sure you know the rules
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 09:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

We played 2 games, I lost once and the other was a draw. I forgot some things though. Like Witchblades striking vehicles as Str 9. As a result his Dreadnaught was a real headache. We're playing again tomorrow, so hopefully things will go better.

BTW he fielded;

Brother Captain Stern
5 Grey Knight Terminators
2 Squads of Grey Knights
1 Grey Knight Dreadnaught

Some questions came up duing the games.

1) Can Wraithlords run in the shooting phase?

and

2) Can a unit assaulting a vehicle, that cause a wound, make a consolidation move? (ex. Weapon destroyed on a Walker or Transport)
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:25   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha73
Some questions came up duing the games.

1) Can Wraithlords run in the shooting phase?

and

2) Can a unit assaulting a vehicle, that cause a wound, make a consolidation move? (ex. Weapon destroyed on a Walker or Transport)
1) Sure they can they are Monsterous Creatures, hence they can run like normal infantry. Even walkers can run if I'm not mistaken.

2) You can't consolidate after assaulting a tank. But you can after you destroy a Walker. Remember that a walker can be locked in combat and fights like normal infantry (with some special rules).

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Aug 2009, 15:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thank you Pisces.