Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Singing Spears Vs. Witchblades
Old 07 Aug 2009, 17:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Singing Spears Vs. Witchblades

I'm curious about your opinions on this option choice. As best as i can tell choosing Spears will lower the amount of attacks you pump out, but it gives you a chance to pop Armor in the shooting phase.

I'll eventually be running Vypers (i think) with EMLs, leaving my counsil as my only other AT-hunter option.

Would it be better to keep the witchblades, hunting tanks with the council, and use my Vypers to pop transports? And, if i'm lucky, use my Vypers to pop those transports when the seers are nearby so they can mop up the troops disembarking?

Or would it be better to have spears, and having the seers hunting transport/troops while the Vypers go after tanks?
Old 07 Aug 2009, 18:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Singing Spears Vs. Witchblades

If your Warlocks shoot a Transport, destroy it, and the troops inside emergency disembark, you can assault the troops in the ensuing assault phase.

I feel It would be best to have a mix of Spears and blades. If you've given the warlock a shooting power (destructor) leave him with the blade, if he has enhance or embolden, give him a spear. If the farseer doesn't have a shooting power (lets say he just has fortune and doom) give him a spear as well.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2009, 19:13   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Witchblades. Here's why: I think the 2+ to wound on the Warlock is great in close combat. But I think that A1 of the Warlock is awful. So I think that the two close combat weapons set up is the way to go. Arguably, you could say that a 12" range on the Singing Spear is good too. But if you're looking for a melee set up, Destructor or Enhance are better powers. But that's just my preference.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2009, 19:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I've been leaning towards witchblades myself, but i wasn't sure if i was missing something with the spears.
Old 07 Aug 2009, 20:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecha73
I've been leaning towards witchblades myself, but i wasn't sure if i was missing something with the spears.
Probably not. Spears are very one dimensional. They're good for shooting vehicles. They are passable when shooting MC's. But if you're hunting vehicles with your Guardians, you're doing it wrong.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Aug 2009, 22:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I was hoping 2 twin-linked Bright Lances and 5 EML would cover my Armor hunting. And i can always assault with those witchblades still. ;D
Old 08 Aug 2009, 01:20   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

I got to agree with Emlyn here bout witchblades. I run a 5 man warlock council with all WB expecially if defilers soulgrinders and dread tie your council up the blades will help destroy it much faster than using spears just for the fact you will get an extra attack with blades over spears.

uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2009, 03:45   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Personally I think a mix of witchblades and singing spears is the best option. Having both will give you more versitility to deal with differant situations.

The pros for the spear is not many, but it's very helpfull.
1. Against vehicles it's a good transport killer. It has the potential to kill a land raider and against a chimera all you need is a three or better.
2. Keep in mind that you need 4s or better to hit vehicles that move 6" and 6s if the vehicle move over 6" with melée attacks. So if a vehicle moves over 6" you'll have a better chance of destroying it with a spear.

Now with eldar you do have a lot of anti tank options like.
1. Fire dragons
2. Wraithguard
3. Brightlance

The top 3 I mention above will easily out. Preform the lance anyday. In my opinion if you're not using the above 3 than I can see using a spear expecally if you're running a lot of warlocks in your army.

The witchblade does well against high toughness creatures. Agaist a monsterous creature all witch blades would be way better.

The spear is just an optional extra anti-vehicle weapon. It give you more options against a heavy vehicle army. Other than that reason the witchblade is really better. Also throwing spears at nobs would insta kill them.
Old 09 Aug 2009, 01:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the spear for pot shots, but witchblades are far better IMO. I like it as extra AT that isn't screwed because you're target moved 12" last turn, but other than that the Witchblade is win .

My personal favorite is 10 Tank Hunter Fire Dragons. Guided. Overkill you say? Monolith hunters I say . They'd have a 75% chance of scoring a Destroyed Result with shooting and then they'd have another 83% with their meltabombs in CC (Auto-hit because the 'lith always counts as stationary). That's without the Melta rule benefiting them 8).

Actually, a squad of 5 in a Wave Serp is probably the best idea because after they slag their primary target their gonna get some smoking hot retribution in the form of various Heavy Weapons fire and/or CC death. In an "I'm only gonna face 'Crons" list it might be good because after they blasted the 'lith they could ID Warriors.

Witchblades are more reserved for dealing with MCs and other tough to crack targets in my lists. Although in a pinch they make excellent can-openers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2009, 17:42   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Throwing in a spear or two is also a way to take advantage of the complex unit rules. You have two guys with Embolden? Now one is the guy with embolden and the spear. It's cheap, but could be utilized for a very competitive list, and gives you some of ranged tank popping.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote