Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Banshees or Spears?
Old 05 Aug 2009, 17:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Banshees or Spears?

I'm trying to figure out which of these two units to fit into my army.

Spears have better Str on the charge, mobility, a better save, and Withdraw.

Banshees have more attacks, a Serpent for protection, unbeatable initiative, bigger units, and Acrobatics.

The remainder of my army is a seer council, guardian bikes, and vypers.

Comparisons, opinions, wisdom? All are welcome. Thank you.
Old 05 Aug 2009, 17:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Banshees or Spears?

Banshee, you need a lot more punch in your list.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 17:55   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Agreed. Spears are great. I'm putting some together now. But they're simply not consistent enough to be worthwhile. A fully loaded Spears unit is 237 points. For that price you're getting a good save & toughness for Eldar and loads of mobility. Offensively, though, you're only going to get 8 S6 and 3 S8 attacks on the charge. You can grab a few more shots with your lances on the way in. But after that first round, it'll be tough to break a larger unit.

The Banshees, for 237 points you'll get 10 Banshees with Counterattack and an Exarch with S5. So you'll get 3 S5 and 27 S3 attacks on the charge. They'll be more expensive if you give them a Transport. But given that you can pop a 6 model squad in a Falcon for more or less the price of the Shining Spears, the Banshees are way more efficient.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 18:13   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
The Banshees, for 237 points you'll get 10 Banshees with Counterattack and an Exarch with S5. So you'll get 3 S5 and 27 S3 attacks on the charge. They'll be more expensive if you give them a Transport. But given that you can pop a 6 model squad in a Falcon for more or less the price of the Shining Spears, the Banshees are way more efficient.
So which should have more bite? 9 Banshees plus an Exarch with Mirror Swords and Arcobatic in a Wave Serpent with TL-BL and Star Engines for 342pts. or 5 Banshees plus an Exarch with Mirror Swords and Acrobatic in a Falcon with all options and an EML?
Old 05 Aug 2009, 18:19   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

When it comes to banshee's I'd take them in units of 10. They're a lot more effective in a full 10-man unit. Especially when they need 5's to wound most opponents that they are likely to fight.
Barbed Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Aug 2009, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via Yahoo to uriel

Guys dont forget he is running a seer council with them and should have doom as his secondary power. mecha either unit is fine to run as long as you have the points. A seer council and spears are a great one two combo with mind war as a secondary power where you can take out a buried powerfist with mind war hold the unit in place with the council then let the spears slam into them and withdraw out to re slam back into them if needed. a ten man banshee squad is great with doom as a secondary power doing the same thing minus the withdraw ability even a 6 man squad in a falcon with an exarch equipped with an excutioner can be a handful and can cause problems with your opponent

uriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Aug 2009, 05:40   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

spears are more designed in my mind as a, your terminators are still alive after those starcannon rounds? well, eat my lances of flaming fury!!! (hiya) i would also take banshees given the chance, along with a serpent.
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Aug 2009, 18:18   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

You need Banshees in wave serpents with star engines, move 24" in the movement phaise, then 12" in the shooting and next turn your banshees jump out 8" (2" for the tank + 6" movement) fleet/shoot and assault! ;D
TheCleavelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Aug 2009, 20:25   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

To echo the post above, Banshees in a Wave Serpent. I'll assume that your seer council is mounted on jetbikes, seeing as you've paired them with guardian jetbikes and vypers. If you don't requisition a Serpent for the Banshees, the rest of your army is gonna leave them in the dust (where they'll be shot to shreds on the way into enemy lines.)
Old 16 Aug 2009, 06:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Banshees are one of the best candidates for a farseer with the squad to doom the enemy, depleting the effect of their low S, and fortune their transport during it's turn in limbo getting them there.

I usually only take them against MEQs but they just blow my mind to the point of having to appologize to my enemy after they attack, every time.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote