Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Vypers
Old 03 Aug 2009, 22:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Vypers

I'm planning on running 6 Vypers with EMLs and Shuriken Cannons. In your opinion/experience is it better to run 2 squadrons of 3, or 3 squadrons of 2?

Thanks.
Old 03 Aug 2009, 22:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Vypers

2 squadrons of three would probably be your best bet, cause then you can still take shining spears. If you are playing Saim hann, you need shining spears for more combat damage. But I'd honestly drop the shuriken cannons.... I know firing all that dakka is fun, but Vypers are very easily destroyed and are best sitting toward the back with 48 inch range EMLs, leaving the shurike cannons useless because of lack of range....
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 04:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

I would drop the cannons and sit back with the EMLs, but you could also go double cannons and get up close and personal.

Either way, I would say 2 units of 3 so that you have the third FA slot available for spears etc. to either run interference for EML Vypers or back-up for double cannon Vypers.
Old 04 Aug 2009, 04:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingates_Hellsing
I would drop the cannons and sit back with the EMLs, but you could also go double cannons and get up close and personal.

Either way, I would say 2 units of 3 so that you have the third FA slot available for spears etc. to either run interference for EML Vypers or back-up for double cannon Vypers.
Wow, where did I hear most of that before??? :P

Stupid Mods.... Lol...

Old 04 Aug 2009, 05:28   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

as it has been said already, 2 squads of 3 leaves a slot open. I personally run 6 vypers exactly as you have described in 2000pts in 3 squads of 2. this maximises the targets for the enemy to shoot at, which can leave the rest of your army relatively safe. my space marine friend has an ungodly fear of vypers, starting around the time that 9 vypers i took killed all his tanks in a single turn >
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 05:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

So you fired 9 Eldar missile launchers at three seperate targets, and it killed al his tanks? Thats not that big of an achievement.... I'd almost expect it... And what tanks was his taking? Rhinos and Razorbacks? He obviously didn't have much in the ways of armour...
Old 04 Aug 2009, 05:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Wingates_hellsing Send a message via Yahoo to Wingates_hellsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Shakey
Wow, where did I hear most of that before??? :P

Stupid Mods.... Lol...
So 2 cents and 2 really shiny and nice mod cents makes 4 cents.

Don't see the the spammy-tongue-in-cheek-insult-worthiness there, but hey, to each their own. 20% Warning Issued.

Back on topic, I've found that there are better scary things to use for bullet magnets. Fire prisms, Reapers, Wraith-guard or the quintessential fake flank. Maybe it's just the type of players 'round here, but target rich environments have never been as effective for me as a good old fashioned priority target.
Old 04 Aug 2009, 05:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Jeez, sorry winggates at making a joke..... I noticed both our posts said the same thing, and you took offence...
Old 04 Aug 2009, 06:32   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

When people are adding to a thread to post advice, they may or may not read all of the other posts aside from the initial question. It isn't necessarily a debate. If the original poster gets the same answer several times, it just hammers the point home. It is not worth making a fuss over.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 07:33   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

it was i think 2 vindicators, and yes it wasnt much of an achievement..... but still fun. this was before he meched up and spammed rhinos, razor backs, predators and land raiders... yay! tanks make games more fun i think.
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote