Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wave Serpents and Ramming attacks, Energy Field?
Old 03 Aug 2009, 21:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Wave Serpents and Ramming attacks, Energy Field?

So, I've been thinking about the various situations that arise when playing this crazy past-time and I've come up with an interesting scenario.

A Tank of X speed and AV rams a Wave Serpent (or a Wave Serpent rams something) and the hit is resolved on the side or front armor, it's higher than 8, how about 10?

Does the Energy Field affect this? Assume for a moment that the ramming tank is a skimmer or the "dodge" roll was failed. Would the hit be downgraded to 8? It isn't technically a CC attack, and it seems more like a shooting attack (i.e. the projectile is the tank) but basically I'm just curious what y'all think.

So, what do you think would happen?

Oh, and can Rams go over Strength 10? 'Cause I thought that was the maximum. But maybe that only counts for Guns and CC attacks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Aug 2009, 22:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Wave Serpents and Ramming attacks, Energy Field?

I'm no rules master, but it seems to me the wave serpents energy field should have an effect on ramming.
Old 03 Aug 2009, 23:53   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

The energy field doesn't have an effect. The rules for the energy field say that any shooting attacks from the front or side arc.... Ramming isn't a shooting attack..... Its a movement attack...??? And a ram can only get to strength 10 unfortunately.... otherwise skimmers can get pretty nasty....
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 01:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Energy Field says it affects "all ranged attacks", hence the confusion, because while a ram is not quite a ranged attack, it isn't labeled as a CC attack. And the attack comes from a distance, usually starting anywhere from 6-12+" away. If Energy Fields work on a Railgun Solid Shot why not a Tank Solid Shot ?.. It's not as if either has particularly more Strength (seeing as the max is 10) and the Railgun actually has more penetration due to AP1 while a Tank has ~AP2? (I'm guessing based on a failed Death Or Glory attack resulting in death regardless of armor/FNP/WBB)...

In regards to Ramming it just says something to the effect of "each vehicle suffers a hit of StrX where X is based on the distance moved yadda yadda ya..."

Anyway, just asking opinions, feel free to poke holes :funny:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04 Aug 2009, 02:40   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

When it says ranged attack, its referring to any attack done in the shooting phase or that actually has a ranged profile in its stat line (like all ranged weapons)
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 03:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el Ahab
The Energy Field says it affects "all ranged attacks", hence the confusion, because while a ram is not quite a ranged attack, it isn't labeled as a CC attack. And the attack comes from a distance, usually starting anywhere from 6-12+" away. If Energy Fields work on a Railgun Solid Shot why not a Tank Solid Shot ?.. It's not as if either has particularly more Strength (seeing as the max is 10) and the Railgun actually has more penetration due to AP1 while a Tank has ~AP2? (I'm guessing based on a failed Death Or Glory attack resulting in death regardless of armor/FNP/WBB)...
Ramming =/= Shooting. Period. But for the sake of argument, the Ramming attack occurs when the vehicles are in contact. Hence, that's why when a Tank Shock attack is stopped (i.e. vehicle immobilized, etc) it stops just short of the model. It's also why when skimmer dodges, the ramming model stops where the skimmer was. So it's really irrelevant. Unless it's a shooting attack from the Front or Side Armor...Energy Field doesn't apply.

Quote:
In regards to Ramming it just says something to the effect of "each vehicle suffers a hit of StrX where X is based on the distance moved yadda yadda ya..."
Strength is a statistic. No statistic can be above 10 except for attacks (i.e. Daemon Weapons) and that is just because it is temporary.

Quote:
Anyway, just asking opinions, feel free to poke holes :funny:
I will. :P
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Aug 2009, 05:08   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Unless it's a shooting attack from the Front or Side Armor...Energy Field doesn't apply.
Yep, that's combining RAW and RAI in the most logical way. I was just wondering, I've gotten enough support for the "no" stance I need not provoke look further ^-^.
Quote:
Quote: