Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Reaper Exarch Setups
Old 31 Jul 2009, 23:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Dark Reaper Exarch Setups

Topic says it: what do y'all think?

I like the idea of a Tempest Launcher and Crack Shot setup because that means a few things:

A) Increased reliability of wounds (re-roll from Crack Shot) makes up for lower strength

B) No cover saves means that MEqs aren't safe anywhere (or hordes for that matter :shifty

C) Barrage weapon means a chance to pin as well (and able to fire indirectly due to barrage weapon rules IIRC)

D) Something... I dunno.

Anyway, what do you guys think about this setup. Are others better? Is Fast Shot a better idea for the Tempest Launcher? Could Crack Shot and an EML work well for anti-vehicle?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 00:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Dark Reaper Exarch Setups

I find fast shot to be far more dangerous, because with it you can put down 3 templates, and the other reapers can add there considerable firepower to it aswell. if maugen-ra is with the squad to then the results are spectaculare if combined with doom and guide. iv only seen a squad shrug off those hits entirly once, everything else just dies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 01:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I found this about a minute after posting the topic, but I guess we can still talk about it...

From this I think a Tempest Launcher+Crack Shot is an awesome idea except for the 36" range.

That's why I can't decide between that setup and the EML+Fast Shot setup. Almost the same output as both the normal Reaper Launcher or the Tempest Launcher...

I'm still a little uncertain what to go with so any thoughts? In future matches I expect to fight MEqs (& 'Crons, & CSM) and Mechanized forces... and Hordes actually.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01 Aug 2009, 02:32   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think the crack shot really helps out the tempest launcher and thus making it a better weapon choice for taking out MEQs. Also you can shoot indirectly if there is no other choice so the MEQs can't hide anywhere from being shelled from S4 AP3, re-rollable wounding, anti cover saving, barrage weapon... ;D
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 03:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wrote a rundown on the Reapers a long time ago and I'm sure its lost to the old threads by now. So I will re-write what my experience with Reapers is and hope this helps. I use them a lot.

First off, the squad is intended to be a static Heavy infantry killer (or MEQ whatever you want to call them).
That is what they are best at, and actually the only thing they are good at. The Exarch is your squad's versatility, so his loadout is really just a matter of how you want to use your squad:
[hr]

We have three weapon option upgrades, and 2 exarch powers that won't work in concert with each other. This means your squad will have a role either suited to the exarch, or suited to the squad.

Missile launcher plus crack shot is almost never used as far as I have seen. It's a combo of effectiveness that doesn't compiment itself much (who uses frags anyways?) The missile launcher guy is a reliable tankbuster with good BS, not a troop killer.

If you run a fast-shot missile launcher exarch though, you will be wanting to use it for tankbusting, which the rest of the squad can't help much with, rendering them useless. Therefore the missile exarch is best used with a minimal squad of only 2 other guys since those guys are really just there so you can get the exarch and make your nice reliable tankbusting unit.

The Tempest is just the same in that it renders the squad irrelevant. You put a tempest launcher in the unit and you essentially have a MEQ killing mortar. I prefer fast shot for this guy, because of the wonderful rules for multiple area effect weapons. But it really depends on what the terrain setup looks like. If there's a LOT of cover, or an army that tends to avoid open terrain then crackshot is more useful. The best Tempest squad is sitting behind a building lobbing 'mortar' shots at anything in the midboard, so it won't need extra members, the exarch is doing all the work.

The final, and often overlooked, is the shuricannon, which I actually like. Look at it like this; Most badguys will see Reapers and immediately think that they need to be charged as soon as possible. The shuricannon, which costs nothing, allows you to have a squad that is more centered around the actual aspect warriors than around the weapon of the exarch, because you can have your static firebase of MEQ killers, but at the last moment you can move away from an impending assault but still be able to pump some shots into them as you go. This guy will definitely want fast shot rather than crack shot, because his exarch power will often not be used until dire circumstances unfold, where he will be the only fire his squad has as they move. The advantage of this one is that the Exarch will make the unit flexible enough to move and still be a threat, and lets you focus the rest of the aspect warriors on their real job when they aren't being threatened by an upcoming assault.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 05:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
The shuricannon, which costs nothing, allows you to have a squad that is more centered around the actual aspect warriors than around the weapon of the exarch, because you can have your static firebase of MEQ killers, but at the last moment you can move away from an impending assault but still be able to pump some shots into them as you go. This guy will definitely want fast shot rather than crack shot, because his exarch power will often not be used until dire circumstances unfold, where he will be the only fire his squad has as they move.
I kind of like this idea, as I've been struggling with a way to make a more mobile but still viable squad of Reapers.

In that case, do you think a Transport would be a good idea?

And how many Reapers should I take if I do the ShuriCan+Fast Shot setup: 2 normal and the Exarch or 3/4 Aspect warriors? I thought 2 or 3, because then there's still enough anti-MEq dakka from the Reapers but the Exarch can put out about that many shots on his own while the unit moves.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01 Aug 2009, 18:32   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't like the transport for reapers because there's a lot of points for firepower, that you really want to be using as much as possible.Since they cannot drop and fire, you will lose two turns of shooting just to relocate them. I suppose, depending on what the terrain is like, it could be feasable to start them mounted, drop them off on a nice vantage point like a hilltop on your first turn, and then have the transport take off to go pick up some backup for them. Mine usually just sit in the deployment zone and fire every turn.

The shuricannon exarch is kind of a failsafe escape mechanism for when people start bearing down closing on 12". That's the threshold where you want to be repositioning them, and that exarch hitting on a 2+ with a big Str weapon will still be knocking 2-3 orks out of the big footslogging mob as you withdraw, and reposition other stuff to intercept them.

I think the reaper squad is actually better than the exarch, and should be used as much as possible. Giving them an EML makes it a tankhunter squad, and giving them a tempest makes them an indirect fire artillery squad, neither of which uses the fairly-quite-awesome reaper launchers to their full effect. Some units in our army are extremely well served by their exarchs (avengers, hawks, spears, spiders) while others (dragons, banshees, reapers) less so, as the exarch has powers and weapons that don't necessarily help the unit as a whole. That's something to think about if you decide to take an exarch at all.

I don't mind the Fastshot/Tempest guy at all, but keep the models down to 3 for the squad. He's good at what he does, but using him at what he excells at makes you not use what the rest of the Reapers are good at since the squad will ideally be out of line of sight.

The Missile/fast guy will likewise split the role of the squad.

If you want a bigger squad of reapers, I believe it is best to either leave the exarch with his standard reaper launcher, or swap for a shuricannon for the above mentioned reasons.

[hr]

My favorite Reaper-Heavy army used Maugan as an HQ, 5 reapers, 1 of which is a shuricannon exarch. The squad was also accompanied by a Doom/Fortune seer. What this does is let you pretty much hang out anywhere, even in the wide open on a hilltop, rerolling their saves and fearless, with a wide field of vision, also with doom to support the Str vs. Tough rolls against tough stuff like Marines or various big creatures. It's fun to watch anybody try to advance on them and be ripped to shreds by the reaper launchers. By the time any kind of assault troops get close they will have been cut to pieces. That's when you break off Maugan, fortune him, doom the enemy, and charge him in with the fleet move before they can charge you. He is actually quite a monster in cc despite his official role as the Eldar demigod of ranged combat.

This entire onslaught of MEQ killy goodness costs a bundle (600 points ish for 7 models), but IF you have the right fire lanes with the terrain setup, they are almost untouchable. It works well with nearby Pathfinder-rangers, since their style of fighting is also to sit and shoot.

But consider this: 8 shots hitting 2/3 of the time, wounding 2/3 of the time, rerolling the missed wound roll 2/3 of the time, and punching through anything but Terminator armor. Add to that Maugan Ra's rending monstrosity weapon and the exarch's shuricannon, and you will probably down about 10 MEQ with a single turn's shooting. Add to that the fearlessness and rerollable saves and nobody can get close to them without being exposed at least once to a volley like that.

The drawback... sometimes the terrain isn't necessarily so easy to get big fire lanes on. I wouldn't reccomend using this for battles with mostly LOS blocking terrain, or terrain that doesn't have an elevated position to use. This is mean for tables that use mostly hills, craters, and forests rather than mostly walls and buildings.

[hr]
Final thought regarding a mobile Reaper squad... It isn't entirely out of the question, but I think it would need a couple of other close range squads, also in transports, to keep up with them. Maybe Star Engines on their Serpent so you only have to move it once, then you move a couple of more assault-oriented units to screen for them on the same turn, so they wont be quite so vulnerable during that crucial turn where they drop off and can't fire.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 00:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, given all that I'm considering a 4 strong Reaper squad (3 Aspect and the Exarch) with the Fast Shot Exarch as mobile firepower but with strategy attempting to keep them static so as to do as much damage as possible. They'll probably get targeted pretty fast and I think I'll probably retreat into a transport and re-position when the enemy gets between 18" and 12" away depending on their assault range (basically if they have fleet or not)...

Then, after choosing a landing zone I'll use the Exarch's Shuriken Cannon and supporting squad(s hopefully) to clear the area of immediate threats and get back to blasting MEqs. I think Star Engines might be a good idea to make sure I don't get boxed in a corner but the whole "no embarking or disembarking" thing is a bit annoying... thoughts? I think no, because it would be 3 turns of being in the transport (normal movement, Star Engine move, normal movement/staying still and disembarking)... on second thought, I think no Star Engines.

The other option would be perhaps to start in the Star Engine equipped Wave Serpent (/'normal' Falcon? :shifty and jet to some wonderful vantage point and then lay down some fire from there.

I just really like the idea of being able to move and shoot (also disembark & shoot) as well as perform static anti-MEq duties.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02 Aug 2009, 02:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well the star engine thing is if you start in the transport. This gives you more of a chance to get it exactly where you want them on turn 1. If it moves and they disembark, they still can't fire anyway, so those screeners supporting them will be crucial in either case. I only used a Reaper transport once and they failed miserably, getting overrun by bugs before my screening guys could help them.

Our transports are tricky to deal with correctly and I am writing a tactica about just that. The best use of a transport for sheer hitting power are bladestorming avengers and fire dragons. Reapers would slow the whole combined attack thing down by a turn since they can't fire after dropping, and can't drop after moving.

I seriously recommend sitting them in your deploy zone. Their guns have a respectable range, their armor is solid. Stand and shoot as much as you can with them, while your dragon-wagon and avengers and other such faster troops overrun a flank, the reapers can whittle down the other side as it tries to get to them as a reaction to their presence, or a crossfire as they try to close with your flanking force.

But hey I only tried the transport approach in one game and as I said, it failed, so I am by no means an expert. I believe the conventional reaper squad is best left sitting on some high ground and not going anywhere until the last minute where they have to move to avoid being charged, where the shuricannon becomes somewhat useful for a zero point upgrade.

To tell you the honest truth, unless you want to go all out with Maugan and the Fortuneseer and so on, the best reaper squads I've used are just basic reapers. It's not too much for an exarch upgrade with fast shot, but just let him keep his basic reaper gun, sit there, and shoot. The second best is the fast shot tempest launcher with only the minimum number of squad members. Set em up far out of LOS and just piece off (pun intended) your enemy with three blast markers every turn. Transport didn't work for me, but maybe it can for you. Let me know.
Old 02 Aug 2009, 04:41   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardian
Transport didn't work for me, but maybe it can for you. Let me know.
Yeah, I'm gonna try and experiment. I really like Dark Reapers fluffwise and statwise but I run a pretty mean Mech list so I've been trying to figure out how to include them. This thread's given me a bit to chew on in terms of ideas so I'll have a lot to work with.

Our local gaming group is trying to put together a campaign (just for the lolz, you know?) and it involves a lot of separate armies, so I've got plenty of different lists to put these squads into.
Quote:
Quote: