Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fortune and PoTW.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 19:39   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Fortune and PoTW.

I was wondering what would happen if I were to roll a double 1 on my fortune rolland suffer perils of the warp.

I have been playing it as:

Say you made your first inv. save, PoTW make you re-roll that so you do, you then fail, but then you can choose to re-roll that because of fortune.

Would this be correct as I know you cant re-roll re-rolls, but sctrictly speaking, you're actually re-rolling a different result.

Please help,

scar.
Old 29 Jul 2009, 19:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: Fortune and PoTW.

Well this was debated a couple month ago. Hopefully this thread holds some of your answer.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 19:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well, to begin with, that wouldn't happen. The Perils of the Warp wound occurs before the power is used; page 50 of the rulebook states that "Note that a psyker who rolls a double 1 will still use his power, even if he is wounded or killed as a result," significantly implying that the wound and its resolution happens first.

However, in the situation where you've already got Fortune in play on the psyker in question and you suffer another Perils of the Warp attack then the answer is that you may not reroll the already rerolled to-wound die (as page 2 of the rulebook specifies); yes, the reroll comes from a different source (and, in fact, a different army) but you may not reroll an already rerolled die. In this instance, it is easiest to say that the two reroll abilities cancel (as, statistically, the chances are the same).
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 02:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

What about the Ghosthelm? The rulebook says successful Invulns taken against Perils of The Warp must be re-rolled but the d6 result of 3+ is not labelled an Invuln, it's just an "avoidance test"... thoughts?

I know it's off topic a bit but... do Fortune and Doom last into the enemy turn? I'm pretty sure Fortune does otherwise it's not worth it's cost, but Doom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Aug 2009, 21:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They both do.
Old 01 Aug 2009, 21:20   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el Ahab
What about the Ghosthelm? The rulebook says successful Invulns taken against Perils of The Warp must be re-rolled but the d6 result of 3+ is not labelled an Invuln, it's just an "avoidance test"... thoughts?
It is not an Invulnerable Save, so Perils of The Warp will not force it to be rerolled, nor could Fortune be used to reroll it. Strictly speaking it isn't a "save" at all, so the Farseer could also use his Invulnerable save from the Rune Armor against PoTW if he failed the 3+, although that would have to be rerolled if he didn't have Fortune on him.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2009, 00:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Strictly speaking it isn't a "save" at all, so the Farseer could also use his Invulnerable save from the Rune Armor against PoTW if he failed the 3+
That's a neat idea. And thanks for the confirmation on Doom lasting into the enemy phase, that'll help with assaults, but can anyone give me a page #? I think my opponents will demand written proof that it doesn't wear off at the end of my turn/that it lasts through theirs.

edit: once again, thank you Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2009, 01:57   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is on page 28 of the Eldar codex. It says "until the start of the next Eldar turn". Unless you are playing against another Eldar army and your opponent wants to be a moron about it, the rule is pretty clear.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Aug 2009, 09:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'el Ahab
It is not an Invulnerable Save, so Perils of The Warp will not force it to be rerolled, nor could Fortune be used to reroll it. Strictly speaking it isn't a "save" at all, so the Farseer could also use his Invulnerable save from the Rune Armor against PoTW if he failed the 3+, although that would have to be rerolled if he didn't have Fortune on him.
So the ghost helm Gives you a chance to AVOID the wound all together?

And failing that you move on to trying to save the wound with your invulnerables? With fortune you re-roll a failed save, and with PotW you re-roll a successful save? But only one re-roll right?
Old 02 Aug 2009, 09:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

yes, ghost helm lets you ignore the damage from perils of the warp on a 3+, but can't be re-rolled via the effects of fortune.