currently i have the following in my army:

farseer
20 avengers, exarches with power weapon, shimmershield
6 banshees
6 dragons
5 reapers
6 hawks
1 wave serpent

my friend uses small squads of gaunts, but pimps them out fully. same for his warriors, carnifex, tyrant, lictor, and zoanthrope. he probably wont be able to use all his stuff, but how should i go about killing him?
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 07:49   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Tau vs. tyranid help

take hawks farseer and avengers, give the avengers bladestorm, and maybe give the farseer eldritch storm, although doom is probably better. thats all i can say without knowing points values
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 08:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
currently i have the following in my army:

farseer
20 avengers, exarches with power weapon, shimmershield
6 banshees
6 dragons
5 reapers
6 hawks
1 wave serpent

my friend uses small squads of gaunts, but pimps them out fully. same for his warriors, carnifex, tyrant, lictor, and zoanthrope. he probably wont be able to use all his stuff, but how should i go about killing him?
First question: what's the loadout on his tyrant and carnifex like?

If they're very shooty we'll have to go for something a bit cleverer.

If they're not, then a simple hold and counter attack will do.

So then, Farseer, Reapers, Hawks, Avengers, Banshees/Fire Dragons in that order depending on how much you can afford.

Basically, build a small gun block at the back/middle of your deployment, preferably in cover, with Reapers and Avengers. Give the squad of Avengers with the Exarch with shimmershield defend and sit them a bit forward, that's your main line infantry. With the other squad, you can either sit them a bit back as a dedicated rifleman unit, in which case give them no extra exarch powers, or you can use them to bolster the first line, in which case defend as well. Put the reapers and Farseer behind the Avengers.

But beware gaunts can be fast little buggers and may make it into combat without the avengers shooting.

So that's your main block. I know Doom is the best power overall but in this case I'd suggest you try out guide, on those Reapers. Sustained pounding will really put the hurt, target warriors first and decimate their command chain. And then pound away at the gaunts.

Then, swooping hawks. My suggestion is don't deepstrike with them. Sit them on the board and just move them around, making sure they can't get charged, whilst gunning down gaunts. Their weapon is excellent for that.

Right, Howling Banshees, these go behind the dire avengers in your deployment. This is where you might need Doom after all. Consider taking both Doom and Guide, but not spirit stones to save on cost, because it's unlikely you'll need to use both in the same turn. The Howling Banshees are to counter charge when whatever enemy that makes it through your fire (ie. Tyrant, Carnifex, Lictor) smashes into the Dire Avenger. Use the Dire Avenger's defend and durability to hold them in place, doom them with your Farseer and then charge in with the Banshees, eliminating them.

If you take fire dragons, definitely put them in the wave serpent and give them Tyrant/Carnifex hunting duties. But they'd be my last choice in this game.

So in summary, your forces are in three blocks:

Gunline: Deploy way far back, just sit and shoot at the enemy whilst they come to you.

Dire Avengers with Defend in front, they sit tight and gun down the gaunts when they come in range. And hold bigger creatures they can't gun down in combat to protect the Reapers and Farseer.

Dark Reapers behind. Pound on the enemy from the first sight. Target warriors first, then gaunts.

Farseer with guide and doom. Use guide on the Dark Reapers when the enemy is still at range. Doom on the enemy when they're in combat with the Dire Avengers and right before when the Banshees charge.

Counterattack: Charges at the enemy if they made it into combat with the gunline.

Howling Banshees in tandem with doom to take down MCs and Lictors.

Mobile Strikes: Move around, stay out of charge range and hunt down enemies.

Fire Dragons/Wave Serpent conduct surgical and suicidal strikes on Hive Tyrants, Carnifexes and Zoanthropes

Swooping Hawks runs around and guns down guants.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 09:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

Ummm...where are the advertised tau here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 09:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Ummm...where are the advertised tau here?
Yeah I was wondering that as well.

I changed the topic name at my own discretion.

Old 28 Jul 2009, 09:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: Eldar vs. tyranid help

much obliged, i thought id forgotten how to understand the english language, and i hate it when i do that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 20:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

What works against Nids

Facing off against gaunts,carnifexes, warriors, and uber hive tyrants you need to pick of the shooty ‘fexes , mindwar the hive tyrant to get past the guards if he has them, and stay mobile or keep away from assault. Use Doom liberally and use volume of fire to take down all his big threats. Even DA nad Pathfinders can snipe big beasties. Eldar skimmers have weapon options with good range and you want to be 24" away fo the most part. You really want to go mech against Nids and rememeber that Skimmers will go down in assault but Falcons in particular are very tough for Nids at a distance. Fire Prisms are also ace against Nids as there is little they can do about them.

Now try and take out your oponnent's synapse creatures as early as possible and stay away from the board edges where his outflanking Stealers might catch you. Do not get into assault. If you use FDs they are likely going to have to get to close to the Nid line. If you use Warp Spyders then shoot and retreat. I've used Storm Guardians with flamers but you need to get the assault and that can be tricky ... you will have to hope the Nids do not destroy your transport beforwe you disembark and flame away.

The key is to stay in your transports and only disembark when you know you will the battle. Nids can be picked off at range and Eldar can amass a very mobile and shooty army. Use this to your advantage.

How will you respond

So we know what works and your list has very little of mobility. A static gunline will get eaten alive by Nids. Your list is way to static. Swooping Hawks and Reapers will not take down enough Nids to prevent them from hitting your lines. Outflanking Stealers will target those Reapers fast which is your best ant-Nid squad. You have little there to take down a Tyrant and Guard or his advancing Fexes. Basnshees in a Serpent with a strong character (Yriel or Jain Zar, etc.) can do some damage but what will you back them up with? Building a castle at the back is fine but if he uses stealers coming in from the side you are done. While spendoing all your dakka on them you will be overrun by the big threats.
bebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanaBebe
What works against Nids

Facing off against gaunts,carnifexes, warriors, and uber hive tyrants you need to pick of the shooty ‘fexes , mindwar the hive tyrant to get past the guards if he has them, and stay mobile or keep away from assault. Use Doom liberally and use volume of fire to take down all his big threats. Even DA nad Pathfinders can snipe big beasties. Eldar skimmers have weapon options with good range and you want to be 24" away fo the most part. You really want to go mech against Nids and rememeber that Skimmers will go down in assault but Falcons in particular are very tough for Nids at a distance. Fire Prisms are also ace against Nids as there is little they can do about them.

Now try and take out your oponnent's synapse creatures as early as possible and stay away from the board edges where his outflanking Stealers might catch you. Do not get into assault. If you use FDs they are likely going to have to get to close to the Nid line. If you use Warp Spyders then shoot and retreat. I've used Storm Guardians with flamers but you need to get the assault and that can be tricky ... you will have to hope the Nids do not destroy your transport beforwe you disembark and flame away.

The key is to stay in your transports and only disembark when you know you will the battle. Nids can be picked off at range and Eldar can amass a very mobile and shooty army. Use this to your advantage.

How will you respond

So we know what works and your list has very little of mobility. A static gunline will get eaten alive by Nids. Your list is way to static. Swooping Hawks and Reapers will not take down enough Nids to prevent them from hitting your lines. Outflanking Stealers will target those Reapers fast which is your best ant-Nid squad. You have little there to take down a Tyrant and Guard or his advancing Fexes. Basnshees in a Serpent with a strong character (Yriel or Jain Zar, etc.) can do some damage but what will you back them up with? Building a castle at the back is fine but if he uses stealers coming in from the side you are done. While spendoing all your dakka on them you will be overrun by the big threats.

That's a lot of suggestions using what he doesn't have.

A gunline usually will be eaten alive by nids but honestly the nid list he posted up has no stealers. Only the Lictor will be worrisome. And he hasn't said if the fex and tyrant are shooty yet.

They've got small guant squads, which swooping hawks and avengers can take, warriors which reapers can take. Fexes and Tyrants, which will be a problem. I suggest Doom and Banshee counter charge. I don't think your suggestion of Mindwar will work against a Tyrant (and it doesn't have guards anyway) because the Farseer ain't on a bike so you're not going to get many gos at mindwar and half of them won't work.

My only worry is that lictor. So basically deploy your gunline in the middle of the board, well away from 12" from each short edge and you should be able to gun it down before it approaches.

Old 29 Jul 2009, 00:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to runer60000

my friend does have s squad of genestealers, but he never outflanks, so im pretty much safe since his battleplan is always constant. also his tyrant and fex are all slashy
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jul 2009, 02:52   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
my friend does have s squad of genestealers, but he never outflanks, so im pretty much safe since his battleplan is always constant. also his tyrant and fex are all slashy
The plan I initially give you will work then.

But target genestealers as a matter of priority, using Hawks and Reapers.

How does he use his lictor? This is a matter of concern.