Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Commissar Yarrick and Doom
Old 27 Jul 2009, 18:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Commissar Yarrick and Doom

So, Yarrick requires you to re-roll any wounds allocated to him. If you Doom the squad he's in and attack. Do you get to re-roll the wounds he's forcing you to re-roll?

Example: Let's say you get ten wounds after Doom. The IG player allocates two wounds to Yarrick. You re-roll them, getting one wound. Do you get to re-roll the failed to wound again?
Old 27 Jul 2009, 18:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak
Default Re: Commissar Yarrick and Doom

Well... my rulebook's not with me right now, but I believe the Shooting/Combat phase works like this:

Roll to hit
Roll to wound
Opponent allocates hits
Opponent makes saves

Now Yarrick states that wounds allocated to him are rerolled, which would come in between allocating hits and making saves. Doom occurs before the hits are allocated, so I'd say that both rules work, like so:

Roll to hit
Roll to wound
Re-rolled any failed rolls to wound against the Doom'd unit
Opponent allocates hits
Re-roll your successful wounds against Yarrick
Opponent makes necessary saves.

That makes sense.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2009, 18:51   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

it's the 'allocated to him' part that makes it confusing. As the Pennywise said... so you reroll your to wound rolls, and he rerolls HIS wounds once its established how many there are. Don't worry he's human, you'll still kill him.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Jul 2009, 22:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Dang. So, no Re-rolling the reroll. Oh well. Doom still rocks. ;D
Old 27 Jul 2009, 22:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

If you're firing at him with the right kind of unit (i.e. High rate of fire rather than high strength, considering Doom) his ability is not going to make that much difference. Trust me.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 02:45   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

The BRB states that you can only reroll any single roll once.
Which means that, say, the doomed Yarrik gets shot, and you fail to wound, then you reroll it, and it succeeds, then you are not allowed to reroll that again.

Further, if you did succeed the first time, then you're forced to reroll it, and if you fail, you may not reroll it again.

Essentially, the wound roll is going to be rerolled every single time, as the Eldar player always wants the extra wound, while the IG wants to avoid that every time.

This also makes the first roll worthless technically, if you were rolling a 4+, but if your weapon was S5+, then doom has a greater effect that Yarrik's Force Field, whereas if your weapon is S3 or less, then the Force Field has a greater effect than doom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Tsumishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 03:20   #7 (permalink)
Ethereal

If Yarrick is on his own, I agree. All wounds allocated to Yarrick must be rerolled, so any that passed the first time would have to be rerolled. Any that failed the first time and passed the second time could not be rerolled. The impact of this is complicated, though. The Eldar player can technically reroll everything, including passes. This shuts down to force field completely, but essentially wastes the main advantage of the psychic power.

If Yarrick is with a unit, you would have to separate the hits that wounded the first time from those that wounded on the reroll, unless again the Eldar player elected to reroll everything. Otherwise the IG player could elect to allocate hits from the first group to Yarrick, forcing you to reroll them.

To to sum up, you roll to wound against the squad, before allocation. Any of those can be rerolled, but if any are not, Yarrick can reroll them if they end up on him.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 05:31   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

that is the biggest logic mishmash I have ever tried to comprehend. Well that's a bit of an exaggeration... but how is it not simplified by this... any roll that causes wound(s) upon Yarrick has to be rerolled.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jul 2009, 07:35   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

That is simpler, but it isn't really the rules. Doom happens before allocation. Yarrick's rule happens after. If they both happened before or both happened after it would just be a wash.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote