Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

hit and run?
Old 18 Jul 2009, 00:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default hit and run?

so my friends and play 40k a lot and one of my friends is eldar. now we dont have a rule book, only one of us does to save the cost of money.he wasnt at the last battle and my elday buddy just found out how "good" ( ) hit and run is. apparently his swooping hawks can come out of nowhere, drop grenades, and go back into the warp. i wuestioned it, but he gets mad when we ask him things. is this possible? ???
Old 18 Jul 2009, 00:59   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.
Default Re: hit and run?

well he has to pass an Initiative test first, and he can only leave or arrive in his own movement phase, so you will still be able to shoot or punch him. but he can just straight out of assault and leave the table. then come back in next turn if he passes the usual reserve roll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2009, 01:00   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not quite. You are mixing up Skyleap (an Exarch power) with Hit and Run (a Universal Special Rule). Skyleap effectively does what you are describing, but its rules are listed in Codex: Eldar and not in the main rulebook. Hit and Run is completely unrelated and cannot, in fact, be taken by Swooping Hawks if my memory serves me correctly.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2009, 01:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Location: That bitter taste in the back of your throat, the one kinda wrapped around your uvula that is all that's left of your Pride.

sorry, ignore that last bit then, but the initiatve test was right i hope.

i think skyleap replaces the hit and run rule if you take it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas'o Ahab
In parting, I've discovered why Farsight started his breakaway faction...
*Farsight looks at Dawn Blade* "Shiny..."*Farsight picks up Dawn Blade and looks around* "... let's be bad guys."
Quote:
Originally Posted by The man they call Waffles
Jayne you y'xa'uuk legend
The Man They Call Jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2009, 01:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

The Man They Call Jayne; you are completely incorrect. Skyleap is in no way a replacement for Hit and Run and requires no Initiative test.
[hr]
Old 18 Jul 2009, 01:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Skyleap is only for swooping hawks and hit and run is only for shining spears. The shining spears hit and run rule is a purchasable upgrade and so is skyleap. You must have the exarch if you want to use it though.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Jul 2009, 04:19   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Swooping hawks don't even get hit and run as has been said.

The so called rubberbanding swooping hawks is annoying because it doesn't give you a chance to attack back, but if he's doing that every turn, my advice is just to ignore him. From experience rubberbanding hawks with grenades simply do not make back their points. Take advantage of their absence to slaughter the rest of his arm.y

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2009, 15:29   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

Swooping Hawks do get Hit and Run, only if they are accompanied by Baharroth IIRC.
I'm pretty sure that they have to stay on the board for the rest of the turn before they can Re-Skyleap back into the air, which is done in the Eldar players next movement phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Jul 2009, 15:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZanuu
Swooping Hawks do get Hit and Run, only if they are accompanied by Baharroth IIRC.
Even with that being the case, Hit and Run (as described on page 75 of the rulebook) is NOT the ability that allows you to leave the board (which is Skyleap).
[hr]
Old 24 Jul 2009, 20:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hit and Run is what you are describing. Shining Spears and Warp Spiders with exarchs have it. However if he uses Baharroth, the Phoenix Lord, his hawks can have it too. Swooping Hawks bouncing off the table every movement phase is unique to them, and yes, it can cause them to be completely unkillable. The disadvantage of an Eldar player using it is that since they disappear on the move phase, they are never getting any shots off except the gredade pack when they come in, which is not very effective in my experience. Also the scatter while deep striking back in is unpredictable to risk doing every turn.

They do not need to check initiative to skyleap, they just leave. They do have to roll to come back from reserves, which is another reason I don't approve of this tactic. I only use skyleap to get them out of serious trouble like if they get locked in an assault. He could (if he really wanted to) potentially bounce them off the table every turn during his movement, land them at the beginning of his next turn reserve roll, and bounce them off again in his movement, leaving you no targets at all, but he would reduce his expensive Hawks to being nothing but a very small nuisance with their grenade pack attack when they come in, and never taking advantage of using their haywire grenades or lasblasters.

This game is about killing stuff, then they kill stuff back and you kill the stuff that killed you back, etc. You won't win dodging about out of harm's way. Sure they'll be safe, but that many points are wasted on a unit that is ultimately doing very little, leaving an outnumbered army behind while they play yoyo. If they aren't killing stuff, why am I paying them for all those points, y'know?

Skyleap is very effective in endgame if you go second though, because by leaving before your last turn, you can come back in and the badguys don't have a chance to shoot back, so you can use them to contest an objective.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote