Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Nasty Orkses... on Bikes!?! Yipe!
Old 11 Jul 2009, 01:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Nasty Orkses... on Bikes!?! Yipe!

So the topic suggests. My friend has turned to an Ork Biker list in the face of my recent victories and... well to be honest I don't know what to do.

As Tau I've been able to use my basic Str5 guns to counteract the increased toughness of the Bikers and Markerlights to strip coversaves but Eldar can't do that.

So far it is around 1k but it'll probably expand later on, and I like Mech...

Oh and I've promised him no Mind War Seers. He was very upset last game when I nuked the brains out of both of his Painboyz...

Help appreciated 8). No help is fine though (it's probably fair that way anyhow)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2009, 02:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Nasty Orkses... on Bikes!?! Yipe!

I call total BS on him whining about Mindwar of all things when he's bringing a biker nob list. Anyway, everyone's got their own opinions on how to deal with Nobz, and you should pick and choose what fits best in to your list and playstyle. I'm personally prone to spamming anti-tank weapons, especially EMLs and focused prism cannon shots. There's not many weapons out there that can both negate that cover save and do significant damage, so I prefer to spam stuff that causes ID (thus also negating that pesky FNP) and hope to get through the cover save. Another option, especially if you can remove the painboyz, is to just spam S6 shots from scatter lasers, shuricannons, or warp spiders.
I can't believe games workshop are really that unorganised. The DE codex looks like it was made back in 1970 and yet they're more worried about making sure the space marines are walking around in diamond coated power armour and shooting tyranids with sequin covered bolters
Deris87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2009, 02:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry, I should specify: it's not a Nob Biker list (although counters to that too are welcome). Just Ork Bikers (I think) 8).
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11 Jul 2009, 03:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

Heya,

Personally my favorite unit to use against Nob Bikers and normal Ork Bikers is probably my basic Jetbike squad. 3 Guardian Jetbikers led by a Warlock with Destructor, for only 126 points. The best part of this unit is that the Destructor power ignores armor and cover saves from Nobz and normal Ork warbikers, and even though you will wound on a 4+ you can cover a fair few with the template (especially normal bikes). Casting Doom on that unit will also make you pretty effective, you could even wipe out nearly the full squad with a bit of luck

Originally Posted by coolmule
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Jul 2009, 17:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the idea of switching my existing Guardians to this setup, but what of the rest of my list?

Any help with strategy is also appreciated 8).
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11 Jul 2009, 18:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I see you still haven't revamped the list for a final looksie :P

With your list I would suggest that you focus on one squad more than any others and pound it into the dust as best you can. Orks have a lot of mobility but if you can bring army-crushing firepower to bear on a single unit of either them or of his normal Boyz in trukks, you just systematically eliminate his numbers. I would suggest dropping Mind War on your Farseer for Guide if you aren't going to face the Nobz in a list, and when you do that pop him into your Dire Avenger squad for the enhanced shooting bonus (rerolling misses and failed wounds ). Although this statistically will not straight up eliminate a biker squad, it will do a pretty good amount of damage (around 4 kills per bladestorm, not too shabby). Add in the wave serpent and whatever else you want to throw at them, you're forcing a morale check and getting rid of a good number of them.

I really wouldn't change too much on the list to be honest, just those couple of small tweaks mentioned at the beginning. The Vypers are excellent for covering models while you can, and with their excellent range and speed, you won't have to worry about anybody getting too close to them.

I'm not really sure what else to say on the matter. I think the only way to take Bikers as troops are as Nob Bikers, so you'll be facing some mounted boyz if I'm correct, but otherwise it looks like this list can handle your opponent, just make sure you get target priority right.
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Quote:
Quote:
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Old 12 Jul 2009, 04:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
I see you still haven't revamped the list for a final looksie :P
Whadda ya mean by that :-[? I didn't rewrite the list every time you suggested something? Call it me being optimistic that I would receive more advice

Anyway: I took some of Deris' advice in mind and tweaked the list a bit (but now I'm second guessing because you said Vypers were good for this), anyway, I included some Warp Spiders. And snuck in some Spears 'cause I love 'em ;D

HQ 120pts
Farseer
- Doom
- Guide
- Spirit Stones

Troops 376pts
9 Dire Avengers (140)
- Exarch
- Extra Shuriken Catapult
- Bladestorm
Wave Serpent (110)
- Shuriken Cannon
- TL Shuriken Cannon

3 Guardian Jetbikes (126)
- Warlock
- Destructor

Fast Attack 351pts
6 Warp Spiders (174)
- Exarch
- Withdraw
- Extra Death Spinner
- Power Blades

4 Shining Spears (177)
- Exarch
- Withdraw

Heavy Support 155pts Heavy Support 150pts
Falcon or Fire Prism
- Holo-Fields - Holo-Fields
- Shuriken Cannon

That good enough for ya Tiwaz :P?

Critique away.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12 Jul 2009, 18:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I meant that I was expecting you to make a more final list for me to look at in that thread :P Oh well though, as long as the list works to your specs.

The only thing on your list that I think I would suggest is dropping the Power Blades and adding in 1 more Dire Avenger to the squad. Remember that Wave Serpents have a transport Capacity of 12, IIRC, so you can attach the Farseer to them and run around to some devastating effect.

For a Fire Prism vs Falcon debate, I support the Fire Prism. You have nothing to transport in the Falcon, and it only gets either 2 S8 AP2 shots, or 3 S6 AP5 shots, whereas with the Fire Prism you get a template either way (you just have to choose between Instant Kill or a large template).

But yes, that list looks good enough for me, buddy boy :P
Quote:
Quote:
Old 13 Jul 2009, 00:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
I meant that I was expecting you to make a more final list for me to look at in that thread :P Oh well though, as long as the list works to your specs.
And I in turn was waiting for my being able to put up a BatRep and spur conversation about how to fill gaps. Unfortuanately I have been unable to play said test game(s) because I and every other member of our gaming group was drawn into a 12,000 point total game (6100 per side). It was pretty epic.

And I might give the Fire Prism a try for this game. Fewer points and longer range.

While I included the Power Blades it was only half heartedly. I just wanted them to have a chance at killing something, but in retrospect: Str3 trying to wound T5 with only 3 attacks is... crazy talk. One more Dire Avenger it is 8)
Quote:
Quote:
Old 13 Jul 2009, 00:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've always wanted to get into a massive game with whichever army I was playing with at the moment

I think that this list should be a pretty good counter to your problem and it isn't really geared to the point that it's cheesy, so if you can get a bat-rep we'll see how it goes.
Quote:
Quote: