Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Guardians, Unglued
Old 29 Jun 2009, 19:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Guardians, Unglued

What's the best way to pop the arms off of a Guardian?

A friend of mine did me a "favor" by assembling and priming my Guardians (20) and Dire Avengers (20), and even with a 0000 brush I'm finding it impossible to paint the chest/abdominal armor plates with the shuriken catapults in the way. Am I just being a big wuss about painting? What should I do? I thought the easiest thing to do would be to unglue the arms and paint the arms and torsos separately, but I'm having trouble with that, too. I've got Z-7 Glue Debonder, but it doesn't seem to be doing the trick - maybe I'm using it wrong, though.

Thoughts?
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Guardians, Unglued

Depending on the glue, Simple Green can break the bond. However, Citadel glue melts the plastic, making it very hard to break it apart.

Sorry, I can't offer you better advice than that. The problem is that GW plastics are very soft (i.e. easily broken) and most super glue removers will eat plastic. So it's hard to pop the arms off without breaking them. :-\

Cheers,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 20:25   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hey, thanks for the quick response. It's just super glue, so the plastics haven't been melted together or anything. I've still got some Simple Green under the counter from stripping Tyranid models... what ratio of the volume Simple Green to the number of models would you suggest?

Just for curiosity's sake, I've also thrown a Guardian in the freezer. I remember reading somewhere that freezing superglue makes it brittle. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 03:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Freesing it should hardly be necessary - a hobby knife will do the trick easily. I've taken apart literally hundred of plastic models - just line up the knife where the pieces are bonded, a little wiggle and a jiggle later and the pieces pop apart. For models with a ball-and-socket style attachment (like Necron Warriors - I have no idea how Guardians go together) just popping the knife up underneath an armpit and working it back and forth should be sufficient to break the bond.

Straight-up superglue comes apart very easily, that's why I love working with it. Just keep at it and be gentle, and the models should come apart marvelously easily.

Mournus Skitarii 3rd Legion, the Will of Mourn

Kaffl is offline   Reply With Quote