Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Energy Fields
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Energy Fields

In a game against Eldar, i managed to get 5 crisis bodyguards with fusion blasters (S8 melta) behind a wave serpent accompanied by Farsight. The Energy Field rules state that weapons shooting at front/side max out at S8. It goes on to say that, in addition, all ranged attacks may not have additional penetration rolls beyond the regular 1D6 + S. It ends by saying that attacks against the rear armour are not affected by the Energy Field rule.

It was my opinion that this meant the melta effect was not negated by this rule, as it was attacking rear armour and is thus immune to the rule. Both the opponent and a third person read the rule but concluded that 'all ranged attacks' meant all ranged attacks, regardless of the previous sentence. They think the last sentence refers to the S8 limit penalty, because it's not front or side, rather than including the 1d6 limit which technically makes no reference to what direction attacks come from. I gave them the benefit of the doubt and ended up stunning the vehicle with 5 BS5 S8 non-melta attacks, due to the penetrating/glancing hits rollling 2d6 on the damage table and picking the lowest.

Is this how you guys play it?
Shas O Behavva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:35   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Energy Fields

"All ranged attacks" means all ranged attacks. It's pretty clearly written. The sentence structure is like this:[list type=decimal][*]Front and side attacks...etc...[*]In addition to (the above)....[*]All ranged attacks....etc....[/list]Yes, its powerful, but remember that a Wave Serpent costs at least twice as much as a Rhino.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shas O Behavva
In a game against Eldar, i managed to get 5 crisis bodyguards with fusion blasters (S8 melta) behind a wave serpent accompanied by Farsight. The Energy Field rules state that weapons shooting at front/side max out at S8. It goes on to say that, in addition, all ranged attacks may not have additional penetration rolls beyond the regular 1D6 + S. It ends by saying that attacks against the rear armour are not affected by the Energy Field rule.
Actually I think you were right.

The rule seems pretty explicit here. Front and side attack: you have a S8 cap and you cannot use additional penetration rolls. Whereas attack on the rear is not affected by the Energy field thus can be above S8 and can use the additional penetration die, since those are the 2 elements affected by the energy field rule.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

That's not likely to be word for word. I don't own their codex. I have an old codex which says rear attacks, and those from close combat, don't suffer any of the penalties... not sure if they reworded it to be more generous in giving a rear armour effect.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 14:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
The rule seems pretty explicit here. Front and side attack: you have a S8 cap and you cannot use additional penetration rolls. Whereas attack on the rear is not affected by the Energy field thus can be above S8 and can use the additional penetration die, since those are the 2 elements affected by the energy field rule.
Doh! You are correct. Shame on me for not reading the whole rule.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 17:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

For front and side the energy field 'works': making all ranged attacks (yes, including melta) hit at Str8 and only roll 1D6 for penetration.

The rear does not have this benefit, as does CC. In assaults everything strikes as normal (probably because it counts as hitting rear armor) and the rear can get shot up like normal.

Fluffwise: assume that the energy Field doesn't cover the back because that's where the hatch is. It is a transport afterall. And I don't think a rippling energy field is going to stop a determined Space Marine Sergeant from smashing his power fist into the hapless vehicle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 19:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Fluffwise, the origional Wave Serpent in Space Marine/Epic had an energy field generator mounted on its nose, and looked a bit like a ship crashing foreward through an ocean plowing foreward with its force field. It could be launched foreward several tank lengths and knock things out of the way (kind of like our tank shock nowadays). It's a force field projector, and it is mounted to project it foreward to make them spearheads in an assault. That's why it doesn't affect the back I think.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2009, 01:50   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah, good to know. I shall bring it up, should i happen to play against that eldar army again in the future. Not very likely i'd attempt destroying it again anyway though, as those holo-fields really take the wind out of my sail.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 02:57   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Energy fields only affect ranged atacks from the front or side arc. Rear armour isn't protected by it. Also, you just said holo-fields.... Did you mean the energy field? Cause wave serpents can't take holo-fields.
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2009, 03:10   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

That depends, i'm not hugely eldar knowledgable. Does the energy field create the 2d, pick the lowest, damage table effect? If not, are there any eldar vehicles that have both the energy field and holo-field?