Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Sniper Autarch/Character joining a unit
Old 27 Jun 2009, 07:07   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Sniper Autarch/Character joining a unit

What would happen to a pathfinder squad's cover save modifier and "ignore difficult terrain" rule if an autarch joined the squad?

I have been thinking about including an autarch with reaper launcher in my army and teaming him up with my pathfinders, but I don't know how this would effect all the special rules the pathfinder squad has. Obviously, if the Autarch negates all those rules, then it would be a pointless idea.

Could someone explain this to me?

Thanks
Old 27 Jun 2009, 07:11   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman
Default Re: Sniper Autarch/Character joining a unit

Due to fifth addition and allocating wounds seperately, I would imagine he would recieve a normal cover save. He does have the power armour going for him, though!
Old 27 Jun 2009, 08:17   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

How would you allocate hits on the unit then? If he has a regular cover save, and everyone else has a 2+ modifier, how would that work? Realistically, he would be shot at (cos he can be seen) and the others wouldn't. This then conflicts with rules like "Look out sir" or whatever it's called, where the other members of the unit sacrifice themselves to protect the more important model.

I suppose he won't be able to ignore difficult terrain. They will just have to walk around.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 23:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via Yahoo to kael8973

thats actually a really cool idea if its in fact possible. A new and unique type of autarch build. of course he wouldnt be able to outflank or infiltrate with the pathfinders for the same reason he cant with scorpions "his command is needed elsewhere". but the idea of an autarch with a reaper launcher bunkered down in some ruins with a 2+ cover save snipping marines is awesome.

and you could even give him a power weapon and mandiblasters in case the unit is targeted by a dedicated assault unit and give them a fighting chance

Old 30 Jun 2009, 00:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpspiderman
Due to fifth addition and allocating wounds seperately, I would imagine he would recieve a normal cover save. He does have the power armour going for him, though!
Correct!

You would essentially go about the entire shooting/CC hitting and wounding process as normal, even allocating wounds normally.

It's all the same up until you take your saves. From there it's independently done, unless there's a bunch of like models. In this case you'd divy up the wounds as you wish, roll the different groups using whatever save they personally have available (and usually you'll roll the best one).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2009, 00:30   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MuffinMan
link=topic=85039.msg1211245#msg1211245 date=1246090643]
How would you allocate hits on the unit then? If he has a regular cover save, and everyone else has a 2+ modifier, how would that work? Realistically, he would be shot at (cos he can be seen) and the others wouldn't. This then conflicts with rules like "Look out sir" or whatever it's called, where the other members of the unit sacrifice themselves to protect the more important model.

I suppose he won't be able to ignore difficult terrain. They will just have to walk around.
There isn't a look out sir rule in 5th Edition 40k. Its only in fantasy. Because there are different armour saves in the squad, you begin by allocating wounds when there are enough wound inflicted on the unit that there is at least as many wounds as there are members of the squad. The pathfinders take their cover saves against wounds suffered (most likely 2+) and the autarch takes either his armour, Inv. or cover save, whatever is beter at the time. He doesn't benefit from the pathfinder's rules. The squad would also have to test for difficult terrain as usual, as the squad moves at the speed of the slowest model, Which is the autarch.

One question though, an IC by themselves has move through cover, rangers have move through cover, but pathfinders don't (they lose it for ignore cover) Would the pathfinmders still benefit from move through cover? I think not but other opinions would be nice. And does the autarch still benifit from move through cover if he is joined to a squad that has it? (Rangers)
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2009, 00:35   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

No. Unfortunately not (iirc).
Special abilities are neither conferred on the unit joined or to something joining a special unit. I'm almost 100% sure I saw this in the BOB.

I do know you move at the speed of the slowest model in the unit though, which means if one doesn't have it...You'll be footslogging it through (carrying him in my mind).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2009, 02:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Mage001 Send a message via MSN to Mage001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Shakey
One question though, an IC by themselves has move through cover, rangers have move through cover, but pathfinders don't (they lose it for ignore cover).
Actually, Pathfinders keep the Move Through Cover. The entry states

'Rangers (and Pathfinders) have the Infiltrate, Move Through Cover and Stealth special rules'. When you upgrade them Rangers to Pathfinders, they GAIN the Scout rule and their cover save is improved by +2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycan
I'd like to call it... "Fair", I mean, she has boobs, how'd we compete?
Mage001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jul 2009, 07:32   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Hmmm... does an IC join a unit at the beginning or end of his move? I imagine it would be the beginning (I don't have the rulebook 'cos its so expensive - if I did I would not ask so many basic questions). If an IC joined a unit at the end of his move, he could perhaps sneak through cover separate to the rangers and join up after moving. If this is not possible, then he could still stay separate until they get into the right place, and then join up the next turn.

By the way, carrying combat gear to protect the unit would be handy, but you would have to be careful. The autarch would probably not hold up to well against any large numbers or dedicated assault units. The mandiblasters and other combat gear would also be expensive points-wise. Some play-testing is needed to try out this part of the idea. Any volunteers?
Old 07 Jul 2009, 12:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by [MuffinMan
link=topic=85039.msg1218789#msg1218789 date=1246865527]
Hmmm... does an IC join a unit at the beginning or end of his move? I imagine it would be the beginning (I don't have the rulebook 'cos its so expensive - if I did I would not ask so many basic questions). If an IC joined a unit at the end of his move, he could perhaps sneak through cover separate to the rangers and join up after moving. If this is not possible, then he could still stay separate until they get into the right place, and then join up the next turn.

By the way, carrying combat gear to protect the unit would be handy, but you would have to be careful. The autarch would probably not hold up to well against any large numbers or dedicated assault units. The mandiblasters and other combat gear would also be expensive points-wise. Some play-testing is needed to try out this part of the idea. Any volunteers?
Speeking of all those nice Autarch upgrades... ;D With all the extra attacks (he could actually have 6 on the charge) are they all considered power weapon level attacks? Or do you get 4 PW attacks and 2 regular attacks? (mandiblaster and a shuriken pistol) Or some other combonation?