Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

So, legally...
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Yummifoamycoffee
Default So, legally...

I can just mod a Guardian to make him hold a heavy weapon (which would normally be carried on a platform) and a spotter and it would be entirely legal?

As stated before in this topic, a heavy weapon model is just an indicator. So if I mod a guardian to hold a certain weapon, it would count the same? Because I'm really loving the idea of a scatter laser-toting guardian...

Thanks in advance!

Yummifoamycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: So, legally...

For all purposes the person who's firing the weapon counts as the position of the weapon and so you could model the scatter laser onto a guardian.

What i'm saying is that it is legal (read the Guardian entry in the Eldar Codex for details)
jimmy_mymail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I've read the guardian entry, and I was looking to verify it. Has anyone seen anything liek this before

By the way, thanks Sorck!

Old 25 Jun 2009, 20:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Hmm this is a little confusing in my opinion.

The reason its on a grav platform to me is to represent that it is a heavy weapon that can be fired as an assault weapon as well as enabling there to be two potential points of LOS represented by the two spotters. If you remove the platform and add the gun to one of the two spotters that would make things rather confusing in terms of those two special rules.

The more I think about it the more i feel that it isn't appropriate/legal however for friendly games I can't see anyone giving you crap for it. I wouldn't take that modded model to a tourney however.

-Farseer Maechu of Ulthwe
loeldrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2009, 06:50   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

i think the idea is fine rules wise... as for tourneys, someone might go rules lawyer on you, but the rules say that its measured from either one of the gunners, so as long as you have an extra gunner lying around your perfectly safe. (also you should pose the guy like rambo)
7/2/2

"my ridiculously circuitous plan is one quarter complete!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
From a painting point of view, the eldar are great, they have so many colours and patterns, hence their battle cry "TASTE THE RAINBOW!!"
i r cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jun 2009, 14:48   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

The FAQ is quite clear that the gun is only a marker and that LOS, etc, is drawn from one of the two gun crew. That said, I can see a rules-lawyer at a tournament making an issue about this. While the gun is only a marker, marking one member as actually carrying the gun could be misleading. Also, you have the issue of the model having to be based on the base with which it was provided. For the gun, that is that medium round base. So I suppose that's a technicality you could have as well.

Although, perhaps you could model a guy carrying the gun on the gun base then have the two additional crew as well. :-\ Not perfect, but at least is a little of what you want to do.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jun 2009, 18:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't see how it would be misleading at a tournament either. Anyone who knows the Guardian rules will know that it is just a marker. Anyone who doesn't, well you have to explain to them anyway about the rules for the platform and the gunners, so what's the difference in explaining the marker being on a model rather than on the little mini-millenium falcon looking floaty thing? Either way the LOS has to be explained to an opponent if they don't know already. If anyone is still mislead after having the idea of a 'marker' explained in certain terms then they probably shouldn't be playing in a tournament.

This topic gave me a bit of a sidetrack thought. I know how prohibitively expensive support weapons are to collect (I'm talking $ not points) and few players I have met or talked to online field many of them out of concern for their wallets. It might be a nice ad-hoc alternative to take the mounting element of the Guardian's platform and base it to be the same size as the support weapon's base size, convert your own gun barrels for the D-cannons or whatever, and let a Guardian gunner slog around carrying his scatter laser like Rambo... save a bit of money on models for the support weapons choices that so few people use.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jun 2009, 13:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
and let a Guardian gunner slog around carrying his scatter laser like Rambo...
That was the whole idea behind putting this up ;D.
Well, not in the financial aspect, but it would look so much cooler than a platform...

Back to where to get the weapons from: Wraithlord.
Think about it. Nobody can fit all the weapons on?

But that's a discussion for the Hobby board...