Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dire Avenger Exarch Setups
Old 20 Jun 2009, 17:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Dire Avenger Exarch Setups

I've got 15 Dire Avengers (the Battleforce and 1 box of Dire Avengers) with the potential for 2 Exarchs (setup differently or the same) and there are three setups I've found so far (+2 Exarch Powers):

1) Defend

2) Bladestorm

3) Diresword and Shuriken Pistol

4) Power Weapon and Shimmershield

5) or Extra Shuriken Catapult

Simply for modeling purposes I want to know what you think the best setup for 2 squads is with these options? i.e:
[hr]
Squad 1:
8 Dire Avengers
- 1 with Exarch Upgrade
- Power Weapon & Shimmershield
- Defend

Squad 2:
7 Dire Avengers
- 1 with Exarch Upgrade
- Extra Shuriken Catapult
- Bladestorm
[hr]

Sooo, any suggestions (and strategies to use with the suggested builds) for setups? 'Cause the reason I'm modeling them is to play with them .

I may also be able to convert some of the Guardians from the Battleforce into Dire Avengers 'cause I've got some bits from other Avengers... wouldn't look perfect but it might work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man They Call Jayne
Yeah Ahab, your not nearly dirty minded enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Spectre
Mass Effect Two please have my babies.
Help people at the hungersite.com
Shasel_Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Jun 2009, 23:39   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: Dire Avenger Exarch Setups

This is a personal soapbox of mine. If I come across as obnoxious. I apologize in advance:

Let's begin by talking about what Dire Avengers do. Dire Avengers are a scoring troops choice which benefit from enhanced stats (compared to Guardians), a better range, and a better save. They are relatively fast (with Fleet) and mobile (with assault weapons). They are, for all intents and purposes, super Guardians.

Dire Avengers, however, cannot take heavy weapons, they lack any anti-tank capacity, they have a low strength, no inherent dedicated melee capacity, and relatively small squads.

That said, you can probably see where I'm going here. But I'll continue anyway.

Defend
This is a fairly worthless power. Against armies like Orks, their attacks are still going to overwhelm you point for point. Against tactical Marines, you're not going to eliminate that much in the gran scheme of things. Against Chaos Marines, you can accomplish some hurt...but you're probably dead anyway.

Here's why. Dire Avengers get a meager one attack each at a low strength. You're not going to do much against MEQ's with that. You're going to do nothing against TEQ's with that. So you're left kicking Imperial Guard butt. : If you've got your Avengers in close combat...well, you're doing it wrong.

Shimershield
This is a decent idea. Give your Exarch the capacity to absorb a load of power weapon attacks on the squad. Not too shabby. The problem is that you can never have a large enough Avengers to properly tar pit anything beyond a Power Fist tactical squad. You'll never have enough attacks to actually win the combat. And you'll tie up a very shooty unit in close combat. Sounds like a winning set up to me. :P

Dire Sword
Again, decent idea. Bypass Eternal Warrior (if you read the rule like I do) and give your Exarch a Force Weapon (more or less). Read all of the arguments above for why this simply won't work. The number 1 reason why it won't work is that your Exarch will have a hard time using the Dire Sword since you'll have to wound with your puny strength then get a high leadership character to fail his test.

Bladestorm
Getting your Catapults to all have an extra shot is huge. Suddenly your Avengers can pump out 32 shots in a single turn at their respectable BS. You're moving and firing your Bolter-equivelent weapons. That's nothing to sneeze at. You will be able to erase many units with this...especially Combat-Squaded Tactical Marines. Orks hate this attack. The fact that you can play the range dance with this is also huge. Fire at or near maximum range, hope to avoid the charge then Fleet back the following turn to rinse and repeat.

The best utilization of this tactic is to pair up Avenger squads and either tag off with them or double up to really erase things.

This also makes Serpent-of-Fury very valid. Park your Serpent sideways, disembark, then open up at range with 32 S4 shots plus your 4 S6 shots from your Serpent's Scatter Lasers. Not too shabby and most units will take major damage and may even retreat from this.

Dual Catapults
Essential for the above strategy. Getting those extra high BS shots is huge. For the points, this is very worthwhile.

Anyway, there's my tirade. I hope it helps a little.
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 01:33   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's about what I figured (and no you don't sound preachy) I just wanted someone with experience to tell me it was a bad idea to have an almost CC model in a shooty unit. That way I can't think what if because I just made the decision on my own.

Thanks .
Quote:
Quote:
Old 21 Jun 2009, 01:50   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you want a competitive army then you should go with the dual catapults and bladestrom because that is what the dire avengers strength is. In my dire avenger squad I have the exarch with shuriken pistol and dire sword just because it looks cool "haha". And if someone assaults the avengers they have to know there is a power weapon in there even though it is at a S3.

It is all about personal preferences...so...what ever your preference is I think you should choose.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Jun 2009, 02:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

I will third the Dual Catapult + Bladestorm suggestion. I think it best exemplifies the role of the Dire Avengers, making them excel at shooting and not trying to compensate in close combat. This works because, let's face it, every Eldar unit excels in one place but not so much in others, so I see no need to make up for this with Avengers by giving them CC upgrades. :P
Droids_Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2009, 21:55   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree that Blade Storm and dual Shuricats are a fantastic set up and can put a lot of hurt on the opponent.

That said, I have to disagree about doing it wrong if you get avengers in hand to hand. The eldar are about tactics more than just out and out slaughtering the enemy. Some times you want to tarpit the enemy so you can get a slower foot slogger into the fight and then wipe them out (like the Avatar). Dire avengers are the ultimate Tarpitter for the eldar if you set them up right. I like to give the Exarch a Power Weapon, a Shimmer Shield, and Defend then run them with a Doom/fortune seer. Now we are rerolling saves and wounds. This tar pit just got more lethal and sticky. You are actually doing more damage and your survivability went way up. An added perk to this is you get to watch your opponent groan as their expensive command unit or what ever is doing very little while the Avatar of khaine is skipping down the battle field to bid them a fiery hello. Every piece of Eldar Wargear has its place, nothing is useless.

That or you could just punch them in the face while you shout "I am the father of cubes! Fear the wrath of the cubefather!".
Taldaneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Jun 2009, 23:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taldaneth
That said, I have to disagree about doing it wrong if you get avengers in hand to hand. The eldar are about tactics more than just out and out slaughterin g the enemy. Some times you want to tarpit the enemy so you can get a slower foot slogger into the fight and then wipe them out (like the Avatar). Dire avengers are the ultimate Tarpitter for the eldar if you set them up right. I like to give the Exarch a Power Weapon, a Shimmer Shield, and Defend then run them with a Doom/fortune seer. Now we are rerolling saves and wounds. This tar pit just got more lethal and sticky. You are actually doing more damage and your survivabili ty went way up. An added perk to this is you get to watch your opponent groan as their expensive command unit or what ever is doing very little while the Avatar of khaine is skipping down the battle field to bid them a fiery hello. Every piece of Eldar Wargear has its place, nothing is useless.
Fair enough, and I'm not disagreeing with you that it could be useful. But you've just spent over 300 points for a tar pit that is going to kill maybe 4 MEQ's a turn at full strength but that only has an effective 4+ save (even with Fortune). For the same price, I could field 10 Warlocks without the need to risk psychic tests (and things that block them) and give them Enhance and Embolden to make them more durable and deadly in close combat than the Dire Avengers could be.

To each his own, though. We all have our unique perspectives.

Cheers,
Em
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Jun 2009, 01:48   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hmmm... good points all, and I do need a bit of a break from straight up shooting, so I might try making three Exarchs :P.

I have the bits for it, but it might not be a good idea because I don't really want to tarpit as much as have a buried power weapon.

In that sense would a Diresword/Shuriken Pistol setup be better? I could still give them Bladestorm but I would be able to charge something (after Dooming it) that had a good save (like a Devastator squad or something) plus it would be a nasty surprise for a unit charging them.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 28 Jun 2009, 21:40   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Warpspiderman

I run two 10 man squads, both with bladestorm and exarchs with double shuricats. It is amazing! Playing tag team with bladestorm is a fantastic strategy. This is what I highly recommend.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 00:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Problem is I only have 15 Dire Avengers to work with and I can't buy another set of 5 unless I want to get the Battleforce again (which might not be a bad idea :shifty and I don't really want to shell out another $30 to get another squad of 10 because I'm already only 5 short of 2 full squads...

In short, I'm looking for a good setup for 2 Dire Avenger Squads of different #'s.

I thought that the smaller one could have the extra ShuriCat to make up for it's lack of one member and that the other might be able to make use of the ~CC abilities that all Eldar have... I guess the Dual ShuriCat with Bladestorm setup is the best, though I like the idea of having some killyness in CC after I use Bladestorm.

Hence the Diresword/ShuriPistol & Bladestorm idea, I'd still have a lot of firepower from Bladestorm and I'd have a buried Power Weapon that (could) bypass the rule Eternal Warrior.
[hr]
Would the Diresword be a good idea in that sense? Or should I shut up and stop trying to make the Avengers multi-taskers ?
Quote:
Quote: