Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The best way to kill monoliths?
Old 10 Jun 2009, 01:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Tanyos
Default The best way to kill monoliths?

One of my friends is getting into the game and in a week or two I'll have to deal with these shenanigans http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...ameStyle=wh40k.

I've never played against a Necron army before but I do know about the living metal rule on the monolith and I already hate it. A lot.

So this is what I have that can hurt it:
Farseer
3 x Warlocks
2 x 10 man Guardian Squads
Vyper
Wraithlord
Falcon
(Last four all with either missile launchers or bright lances for AV purposes.)

Normally we don't have any trouble dealing with high armor vehicles thanks to the lance special rule but living metal kills that advantage and the lack of long ranged weapons above strength 8 only exacerbates things. Glancing a Monolith to death would probably kill it a week after forever and it is questionable whether a Wraithlord or footslogging Seer Council would even live long enough to pound on the thing.

What do you, my fellow Eldar players, propose I do to bring this monstrosity down?
O_o
o_O
O_O
Tanyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 01:22   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: The best way to kill monoliths?

Simple. Ignore it. Go for the phase out. If you kill enough warriors you should be able to get it to simply disappear. Thats the easiest way. Otherwise also consider swooping hawks with haywire grenades. How many mono's does he run? What else does he take?
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 01:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ol' Shakey
Simple. Ignore it. Go for the phase out. If you kill enough warriors you should be able to get it to simply disappear. Thats the easiest way. Otherwise also consider swooping hawks with haywire grenades. How many mono's does he run? What else does he take?
Seconded. Just avoid them. If he turtles, use your superior range to blast away at his Necrons.

I won't lie to you, Necrons are very tough for us. But we've got some toys that can take them down.

Unfortunately, there really isn't anything that takes out Monoliths well. Perhaps Swooping Hawks are the best...but they are terribly inconsistent.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 01:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to Tanyos

He is buying the Necron Warrior Phalanx boxed set. Nothing else as far as I know.

From how I understand the WBB rule my AP 2 guns won't stop the Necrons from fixing themselves and the monolith only enhances their ability to self repair. Not to mention he plans on running the his lord with a resurrection orb which will ignore the WBB restrictions.

His setup will probably look something like this

wwwwww wwwwww
wwwwww mmmm wwwwww
mmmm
wwwwww mmmm wwwwww
DDD wwwwww L wwwwww DDD

SSSSSS SSSSSS

Advancing warriors around the monolith with scarabs out front to give them cover. The destroyers will most likely be elsewhere but most everything else will be centered around the monolith with the lord.

Lack of Fire Prisms and/or D-Cannons is going to be a big problem. I bought a box of reapers and gave the exarch a tempest launcher. I planned to stick them in cover with my farseer and just guide them throughout the whole game. I also have Banshees (only six though) which would be good to put in my Falcon but those will probably die as soon as he looks at them funny.
O_o
o_O
O_O
Tanyos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 02:02   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Funnily enough my favorite way to deal with Necrons is just go all or nothing charge.

They're not that good in combat. Banshees and Harlequins with Doom will carve up pretty much anything they can throw up. Warlocks, Farseers and Wraithlords are all excellent against Monoliths in combat.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 11:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

My way is to use fusion guns, they may only be able to glance but as they are ap 1, if you score a glancing hit it will only be -1 on the damage table, so if you get a six it will downgraded to a 5, which still counts as destroyed.
TheCleavelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 12:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Wraith lords plain and simple charge into a monolith with one of those and you going to do some damage.
On the subject of fusion guns you can penetrate a monolith as within 6" you roll 2D6 and 6 fire dragons within 6" can quite easily penetrate.
D cannons work quite easily.
world eaters master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 13:05   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

A twin-linked BL Dragon Wagon would be my favorite tool against a Monolith I think. I'm not sure how Wraithguard would fare in 5th Ed...
Old 10 Jun 2009, 20:00   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

If you are Eldar I would ignore it as stated above some where or if you must I would hit it with bright lances or anything that makes auto glan or pen damages(grenade packs, I think the wraithguard guns, etc).

The best way to take out a monolith is by using ordance...which the Eldar do not have. In the Necron codex it says that you can still use the ordance 2d6 which is pretty cool considering it is a S9 or S10 weapon.
Mandalorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Jun 2009, 20:15   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by world eaters master
On the subject of fusion guns you can penetrate a monolith as within 6" you roll 2D6 and 6 fire dragons within 6" can quite easily penetrate.
Atually this is wrong as the monolith has the living metal rule, which for it means that it ignores 2D6 pen and lance weapons and stuff like that.
TheCleavelord is offline   Reply With Quote