Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Considering taking Eldar as a second army! Advice?
Old 01 Jun 2009, 05:04   #1 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Default Considering taking Eldar as a second army! Advice?

Ok, i currently play Tau, and i'm getting to the point where most of my purchases are just getting more of what i have, so i'm thinking i should start slowly building an Eldar force.
Here are some questions:
1) I like writing my own lore. Is it generally accepted to make up a Craftworld? Surely there were a good deal more Craftworlds than we currently see, or is it generally recomended to stick with an established one?
2) I like Rangers, Farseers, and Dark Reapers. What other units are like this?
3) I play hybrid Tau and want something to help when i play Apocolypse battles. Any recomendations
4) Any random comments?
Thank you for your time!

Pacific NorthWest
Old 01 Jun 2009, 12:50   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to purple_harlequin
Default Re: Considering taking Eldar as a second army! Advice?

My Eldar mentor, Ged, made up his own craftworld of Paragon. I stuck to Biel Tan because I like their goal and symbol. However, I did not stick to their color scheme and made up my own fluff as to why. Go ahead and make your own craftworld. Make a cool symbol for it! ;D

Fire dragons are a good option. They melt things into a pile of goo. If you can put them in a wave serpent, they can travel very quickly to enemy targets.Autarchs are great if you need a fighting hero. Banshees and harlequins rock if you need melee. It's best to put them with a farseer if you can. The farseer can cast special things on them to help keep them from dying.

I don't know much about Tau, except that they're cool. I thought of starting a Tau army since they are my second fav Warhammer 40k army. I think Commander Shadowsun looks awesome and the gun drones are cute. The tanks are spiffy looking too. If you can't tell, I'm more of a painter then a player. lol

Becky
Old 01 Jun 2009, 18:00   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

If your looking for a force to complement yours in an Apocalypse game, Eldar would be a great choice. Each eldar unit has a pretty specific purpose, which makes Eldar just about the most versatile in the game. Because you play Tau, I assume your army is more shooty than assaulty. You can very easily make an almost exclusive assault army. Or, if you want to add speed to your force, you can make an all jetbike army.
Old 02 Jun 2009, 17:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Ok, i currently play Tau, and i'm getting to the point where most of my purchases are just getting more of what i have, so i'm thinking i should start slowly building an Eldar force.
Here are some questions:
1) I like writing my own lore. Is it generally accepted to make up a Craftworld? Surely there were a good deal more Craftworlds than we currently see, or is it generally recomended to stick with an established one?
3) I play hybrid Tau and want something to help when i play Apocolypse battles. Any recomendations
4) Any random comments?
Thank you for your time!

Pacific NorthWest
Pacific Northwest, eh?
I did my thing in Oly, WA, and Pee-Town PDX Oregon... You anywhere near either of those?

regarding your request for army advice:
Two things that struck me is that you are fond of Reapers and Rangers. This is cool because they complement each other, as the only two units in the Eldar list that cannot move AND shoot, they will be bonded in that firebase you give them... some tips I used when I played a Reaper/Ranger army:

First: obviously, pick your cover with some good fire lanes... this one's a no-brainer... and make the rangers Pathfinders... they won't die unless charged.

Second: your farseer powers are crucial to support these, as is Fortune... Guide is nice because even with a BS 4 you will still miss a bit here and there, and you want every shot to count if you have to move-or-shoot, and fortune because you may be stuck getting shot back at. A good shooting spree leaves nothing to fire back at you, but a few bad rolls will leave you hanging waiting for return fire on your enemy's next turn. Fortune does that well. Spirit stones allow you to cast both with one farseer.

Third: It seems like you are trying to play Eldar in the same way you play Tau... i.e. static shooting power. Most Eldar armies are far more flexible in their makeup. Some Striking Scorpions that can infiltrate/flank gives you an edge in CC that you wouldn't have with Tau.

If you want to make a firebase that simply cannot be killed, I recommend taking a max squad of reapers, along with exarch and Maugan-Ra (who makes them fearless and can also detatch and slaughter anything that is getting too close), with a Fortune/doom/guide Farseer with spirit stones. Now you have re-rolls to hit, to wound, and to save, and you are fearless. If you use two force organizations you can get two farseers in there, the second one can augment the ranger's wound roll with his Doom power and augment their (already 2+) save with a reroll using Fortune.

As far as color scheme???? Paint 'em however you want! Mine all look like watercolor abstracts on their armor.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Jun 2009, 20:32   #5 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW
Here are some questions:
4) Any random comments?
Thank you for your time!

Pacific NorthWest
Pacific Northwest, eh?
I did my thing in Oly, WA, and Pee-Town PDX Oregon... You anywhere near either of those?

regarding your request for army advice:
Two things that struck me is that you are fond of Reapers and Rangers. This is cool because they complement each other, as the only two units in the Eldar list that cannot move AND shoot, they will be bonded in that firebase you give them... some tips I used when I played a Reaper/Ranger army:

First: obviously, pick your cover with some good fire lanes... this one's a no-brainer... and make the rangers Pathfinders... they won't die unless charged.

Second: your farseer powers are crucial to support these, as is Fortune... Guide is nice because even with a BS 4 you will still miss a bit here and there, and you want every shot to count if you have to move-or-shoot, and fortune because you may be stuck getting shot back at. A good shooting spree leaves nothing to fire back at you, but a few bad rolls will leave you hanging waiting for return fire on your enemy's next turn. Fortune does that well. Spirit stones allow you to cast both with one farseer.

Third: It seems like you are trying to play Eldar in the same way you play Tau... i.e. static shooting power. Most Eldar armies are far more flexible in their makeup. Some Striking Scorpions that can infiltrate/flank gives you an edge in CC that you wouldn't have with Tau.

If you want to make a firebase that simply cannot be killed, I recommend taking a max squad of reapers, along with exarch and Maugan-Ra (who makes them fearless and can also detatch and slaughter anything that is getting too close), with a Fortune/doom/guide Farseer with spirit stones. Now you have re-rolls to hit, to wound, and to save, and you are fearless. If you use two force organizations you can get two farseers in there, the second one can augment the ranger's wound roll with his Doom power and augment their (already 2+) save with a reroll using Fortune.

As far as color scheme???? Paint 'em however you want! Mine all look like watercolor abstracts on their armor.
I live up on the Kitsap Peninsula, north of Olympia
I want to have a diverse army, but i like the lore of Reapers and Rangers
I will probably stick to only 2 or 3 aspects though
Old 03 Jun 2009, 03:09   #6 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Sorry for the double post, but i just added up what i'm thinking of getting and i wanted to know what you guys think?
1 Exarch with Power Sword
1 Troup of Harlequins, with Death Jester, Shadowseer, 2 Fusion Blasters, and 2 Harlequin Kisses, and a Leader
10 Striking Scorpions
10 Fire Dragons
20 Guardians
20 Storm Guardians
10 Dire Avengers
10 Rangers
10 Swooping Hawkes
5 Warp Spiders
1 or 2 Wraithlords
This comes up to around $600 retail before Tax, so i'll buy it in 6 installments, with Exarch and Rangers first, followed by some Aspects, and so on.
Are there any glaring flaws in my list? Too big or small?
Old 04 Jun 2009, 23:37   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

The first model you're looking for is an Autarch

I think that the major thing to be said is you should definitely buy the codex before anything else, as this well let you view your choices and determine how you would like to play the army overall.

On your list of purchases though...

I have, personally, never been a fan of guardians, although there are plenty of people who still use them to great effect. If you are going to use Guardians to basically have a large mob of Fearless units, I would give both of the units Warlocks with Enhance or Conceal, for when you're getting into combat or to help preserve bodies actually getting there.

Pretty much the only thing I can mention is the complete lack of vehicles in there, which to me is unnerving given the relative frailty of Eldar in general.
Originally Posted by coolmule
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 00:27   #8 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
The first model you're looking for is an Autarch

I think that the major thing to be said is you should definitely buy the codex before anything else, as this well let you view your choices and determine how you would like to play the army overall.

On your list of purchases though...

I have, personally, never been a fan of guardians, although there are plenty of people who still use them to great effect. If you are going to use Guardians to basically have a large mob of Fearless units, I would give both of the units Warlocks with Enhance or Conceal, for when you're getting into combat or to help preserve bodies actually getting there.

Pretty much the only thing I can mention is the complete lack of vehicles in there, which to me is unnerving given the relative frailty of Eldar in general.
Gah, i'm dumb
Do you think i should switch the Guardians out for something else? I want my army to be very fast and good at melee, so should i take Storm Guardians? Also, i was thinking of getting a Wave Serpent for my Dragons. Most other units are too big to fit inside of a transport, as i like to run full squads
Old 05 Jun 2009, 01:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

Full squads are the best kind to take in a transport

I think that if you are going to take an Avatar then you should definitely keep the Guardians as their Heavy Weapon will be quite valuable as you advance up and you can continue to take advantage of the Fearlessness granted by the Avatar. I'm not too much of an expert on this style of play, but I'll see what I can whip up in a bit strategy/tactic wise.

For fast I would probably suggest fully mounted, jetbikes and maybe some other aspect warriors. Shining Spears are definitely a plus because they are incredibly quick, and in my opinion not too horribly expensive (just over 200 points for a full squad) that is absolute murder to Marine Equivalent or smaller, tougher and more elite units in most other armies. Guardian Jetbikes are excellent objective grabbers and keepers, given the S6 Shuriken Cannon and the Jump-Shoot-Jump abilities, you just have to put a 76 point unit on your objective to annoy any enemies and can actually capture the objective. They do suffer a bit in Kill Point games (being 3 relatively easy to kill models), but just adding a Warlock to the squad (Destructorlock is my personal choice) gives you the added survivability and expands your general role.

Units that I would put in transports are Howling Banshees, Dire Avengers, Fire Dragons and if you were going to use them, Guardians. This is a massive divergence from what you originally listed, and to me this is a much more "safe" way to play Eldar than any given list you throw together, but I like this style and it gives me an all around good mix of combat and shooting.

Striking Scorpions, Warp Spiders and Banshees are all units that I would (obviously) not mount. Scorpions are a great unit that you can just infiltrate/outflank with and distract a good portion of, really, any army. Warp Spiders and Banshees can't actually be put into a Transport as far as I know, which is perfectly fine as both of them move 12" and can Run anyways, so they get in range quickly enough anyways.

My only concern would be anti-tank, as with the new Guard you will be seeing plenty of tanks, along with other armies that like to use more than a single tank in their force :P
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Jun 2009, 04:57   #10 (permalink)
PNW
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiwaz
Full squads are the best kind to take in a transport

I think that if you are going to take an Avatar then you should definitely keep the Guardians as their Heavy Weapon will be quite valuable as you advance up and you can continue to take advantage of the Fearlessness granted by the Avatar. I'm not too much of an expert on this style of play, but I'll see what I can whip up in a bit strategy/tactic wise.

For fast I would probably suggest fully mounted, jetbikes and maybe some other aspect warriors. Shining Spears are definitely a plus because they are incredibly quick, and in my opinion not too horribly expensive (just over 200 points for a full squad) that is absolute murder to Marine Equivalent or smaller, tougher and more elite units in most other armies. Guardian Jetbikes are excellent objective grabbers and keepers, given the S6 Shuriken Cannon and the Jump-Shoot-Jump abilities, you just have to put a 76 point unit on your objective to annoy any enemies and can actually capture the objective. They do suffer a bit in Kill Point games (being 3 relatively easy to kill models), but just adding a Warlock to the squad (Destructorlock is my personal choice) gives you the added survivability and expands your general role.

Units that I would put in transports are Howling Banshees, Dire Avengers, Fire Dragons and if you were going to use them, Guardians. This is a massive divergence from what you originally listed, and to me this is a much more "safe" way to play Eldar than any given list you throw together, but I like this style and it gives me an all around good mix of combat and shooting.

Striking Scorpions, Warp Spiders and Banshees are all units that I would (obviously) not mount. Scorpions are a great unit that you can just infiltrate/outflank with and distract a good portion of, really, any army. Warp Spiders and Banshees can't actually be put into a Transport as far as I know, which is perfectly fine as both of them move 12" and can Run anyways, so they get in range quickly enough anyways.

My only concern would be anti-tank, as with the new Guard you will be seeing plenty of tanks, along with other armies that like to use more than a single tank in their force :P
Well my Tau army is more than capable of dealing with Guard, i just want to play Eldar for a different style from them. I play Mechanized Tau, heavy on Suits Transports and only running 20 - 32 Kroot at a given time, so i want to play a cool melee army. Hence the Scorpions and Storm Guardians. The Autarch is there fore melee too, and the Rangers, Swooping Hawks, and Warp Spiders are there for awesomes