Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Having Trouble with Death Guard
Old 30 May 2009, 05:03   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Having Trouble with Death Guard

Hi my friend plays Death Guard am I'm having trouble coming up with a balanced list. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 30 May 2009, 05:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Having Trouble with Death Guard

What kind of Deathguard? mechanized? Footslogging?

limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 07:17   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRE_AVENGER
Hi my friend plays Death Guard am I'm having trouble coming up with a balanced list. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
DIRE_AVENGER,

In order to help us help you: What points level are you playing at? Do you have a preferred Craftworld/Style of play? What does a typical list look like for your friend?

Awaiting further information,
Ged

[glow=purple,2,300]Speaker for the Keeper of Secrets - The Cult of Slannesh[/glow]

-Craftworld Paragon's Rune Sign
GedofParagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 07:48   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Some general pointers with Death Guard:

They're so tough it's almost impossible to break them with just dakka. At one point you will go into close combat. And then given you'll mostly be wounding with a six even with your shock troops, you absolutely NEED large amounts of CC attacks and a way to ignore FNP to have even a chance of equaling them in combat.

Generally I'm a fan of Harlequins with Harlequin Kisses or Banshees combined with a Farseer with Doom. The ability to reroll wounds which will ignore armor saves and FNP will payoff hugely.

Secondly, you really need high strength low ap weapons against death guards. Starcannons, Brightlance, fire dragons. Shuriken Catapults are plainly inefficient and shuriken cannons and scatter lasers don't ignore FNP which makes them inefficient.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2009, 18:13   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ged of Paragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIRE_AVENGER
DIRE_AVENGER,

In order to help us help you: What points level are you playing at? Do you have a preferred Craftworld/Style of play? What does a typical list look like for your friend?

Awaiting further information,
Ged
We normally play around 1000 point games. He usually has most of his troops in rhinos. He also usually has a vindicator, and a daemon prince for an HQ. I usually play a mechanized list.
Old 31 May 2009, 01:47   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Right, first thing that needs to go down is that Daemon Prince if it's winged. (If not we can ignore him for a bit).

Anything strength 6 and above and just pound him with it. What's good is that if you have a doomseer and his other units are in rhinos for the first few turns, then you can use that opportunity to doom the prince and take him down early. He's a monster to take down in CC if he has like more than two wounds by that time.

Now, rhinos and vindicators have the same response. Strength six dakka on the side (if you have a bright lance or something obviously use that on the vindicator). It may not kill them all but the goal is to force their death guards to come out and make the long trek.

Basically you have mobility and firepower on your side, just kill that daemon prince and then make sure he can't catch you whilst you slowly whittle him down.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
crazedmongoose2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 01:51   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Thanks for the help, I'm about to play him so I'll keep your advice in mind.
Old 31 May 2009, 19:34   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hey Dire Avenger, have you played the game already?

Yeah, like crazedmongoose says, target the more mobile elements of his army (rhinos, winged daemon prince) and then you'll just be able to run circles around him. Once the plague marines are exposed, you can deal with them a number of ways - at range with high strength, low ap weapons or cc attacks that cut through armor. Both will deny FNP. Use doom to deal with high toughnesses.
Waaaghamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2009, 20:14   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

We haven't played yet, but probably soon. I'll definitely have a doomseer in my list, and try to maximize the amount of high strength low ap shots I can get off in one turn.
Old 04 Jun 2009, 11:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Personally I would take lots of fire dragons my squad of 6 plus exarch fire pike
tank hunter and crack shot for 144 points. This squad could easily take a squad of plauge marines down or at least weaken them support this with D cannons a battery of 3 is just 150 points and they have the ability to take out tanks easily

For troops I would take rangers there ranger rifles are useful as they always wound on 4+ and rending and with pathfinders they ap2 on the roll of a 5 or 6 to hit and there cover save is great.

Take an Avatar as HQ and you can take on a daemon prince support this with a farseerwith spirt stones guide and doom.

This might be a few points over but I hope it helps
world eaters master is offline   Reply With Quote