Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Kroot merc in Eldar army
Old 13 Feb 2009, 10:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Ratmamahatma
Default Kroot merc in Eldar army

I put my eyes on thous kroot mercenaries, and was quite impressed. Realy don't know why are thous Tau players so critical about them (well, right, they can't take thous armory upgrades for Shaper but still..). For 165 point you have 17 infiltrating WS 4 S4 warriors with good guns, with the Shaper with meltabomb and auspex tu hunt down other infiltrating units and light wehicles. And they are Troops. Wow. Thous are better than storm guardians as you don't have to give them transport to get them into the face of enemy and when they die its ok becouse thous are not Eldra lives! >
I think this is great choice for Eldar player. Drawback is of course that thous mercs are not official army.
Ratmamahatma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 12:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via MSN to Pisces_808
Default Re: Kroot merc in Eldar army

Well you already gave some reasons why Tau are so critical about them. They can't give them those upgrades that make them worth it. Sure the Tau ones can infiltrate and have WS4 but that's it. You can't give them genetic enhancements or other good gear. The only reason to take Kroot is for the Hounds, now those are worth it (remember they are 1 unit with Tau).

I really like the models and that's why I used them in my Tau army but they never won me anything. Most of the time they sit on an objective in the woods and stay there.

Now the rules for mercenaries are verry nice. The reason are those fun updates, fleet or increased toughness, etc. Now that you mention it, I could always include them in my Eldar army. But maybe not, I'm switching to get something new. Anyway let me know how it turns out.

Greetz

Pisces_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah right. It's kind of sad that Tau can't in fact benefit from thous rules. It's not that big deal as you probably can't use Kroot merc against Tau themselves (and therefore have beter Kroot on the table than thous who have them in standart forces!). It's not that much of upgrade either - just an scanner and bomb - but I would still feel a little like cheating. Therefore I would use thous only in fluffy games
Old 13 Feb 2009, 14:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Don't know what this has to do with Eldar??

And as for why tau doesn't use kroot mercenary it makes perfect sense fluff-wise. The Tau are trying to civilize the Kroot and break their bad habit of eating the dead...not realizing that by preventing them to eat the dead they are leading to te extermination of the kroot by bringing them to an evolutionary fullstop. So thus the 'underground' kroot merc units.

Actualy I don't really see the kroot working for the Eldar, I have an easier time seeing them working for Dark Eldar...their goals are complementary.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 15:15   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

As you put it, its true that Tau threat other speacies with kind of incomprehension and they stance to bahavior of Kroots is shiny example of that. I gues it is ok than.

This topic is here becouse I want to discuse what use can be Kroot for Eldar. You can check my army design in here http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=78793.0 . I think I can use thous Kroots in this army quite well (Insted of swooping hawks for the point cost... or so.).
Old 13 Feb 2009, 15:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Yes I can see the validity of the question. Most of what the kroot can do the Eldar can do better.

Vulture kindred are quite fun, 20 deepstriking kroot are more fun the 10 hawk.

If you also have access to IA:3 you also have the knarloc which can be quite fun for heavy support.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 17:46   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And what about Vespids? You know is funny becouse I don't like Tau much, but like all thous other aliens (Kroot, Demiurg) and want them participate from time to time in my fights... with Eldar. I think it is ok fluffwise. With thous Vespids I can say that theyr queen (leader female) was captured by my Edar and implantet into some another gas giant without her ethereal mind control helmet (witch would be replacet with eldar mind control helmet > ) and there you go.

And for theyr rules, I think Vespids could realy compliment Eldar force with theyr marine blasting blastas and high movement.

What do you think about it?