Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

today's the day
Closed Thread
Old 21 May 2005, 10:12   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default today's the day

one of my friends has indeed rather kindly agreed to let me use his eldar/other models as proxy. it's looking like my first battle will be a four way fight between orks, tau, necron and eldar ^^;

i have a feeling this isn't gonna be easy :P

-sin

i make my own sigs! want one, then ask nicely ^^
Old 21 May 2005, 11:38   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: today's the day

Good show. Go show the green-skins, young ones and the souless guys whose boss.

BTW what's your list going to be.
Old 21 May 2005, 13:29   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Good luck Sin. Show them who rules the galaxy...
Old 21 May 2005, 13:57   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Good luck Sin! Just don't try to outshoot a Hammerhead and you'll do great .
Old 21 May 2005, 14:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuinMyrrath
Good luck Sin!* Just don't try to outshoot a Hammerhead and you'll do great .
Don't outshoot it - just outthink it
Old 22 May 2005, 03:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

As an eldar, to play in character u must bribe the other players against each other.

Personally i like the idea of playing in character with Skaven in Fantasy, ur allowed to cheat.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 22 May 2005, 11:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

turned out a little different then was billed, i ended up pitted against the green skins. my friend wasn't very professional with a list and was unsure of the points, and i had a rag-tag looking troupe, consisting of eldar models and necromunda minitures to make up the difference, i think we estimated that it was about 1500 > 1700 points each.

ended up playing with ulthwe rules, force looked a lil like this:

hq

farseer/fortune/ghosthelm/singing spear
farseer/mind war/ghosthelm/singing spear
warlock/enhance/singing spear
warlock/conceal/singing spear
warlock/augment/cc/sp
warlock/augment/cc/sp
warlock/augment/cc/sp

troops

12 black guardians (inc crew) / starcannon
warlock / conceal / cc / sp

12 black guardians (inc crew) / bright lance
warlock/conceal/cc/sp

(were running low on models at this point)

5 storm guardians / 2x flamer/ grenades
warlock / destructor / cc / sp (threw em in falcon)

elite

10x howling banshees / exarch / executioner / acrobatic

fast attack

nil, had no models that would really represent them

heavy

wraithlord / starcannon

falcon / starcannon / holofields / ctm / spirit stones

5 x reapers / exarch / fast shot / EML

not a list i would have prepared beforehand, but i figured it was semi good enough to get a feel for what it's like to use an eldar force.

i won the roll, and set a unit down.. my friend then begins setting his units down.. i notice that he has a hell of a lot more to set up than i do ><;

the game ended in a somewhat dubious draw, i didn't really look into ork's at all, so i was unprepared for the zap cannon.. which appariantly negates the holofield on the falcon (which was nice -.-) so that smoked my tank ; ;

what did work well was dropping the guardian squad off in front of a large group of orks and letting rip with the flamers / destructor, some lucky rolls saw about 90% of the squad vaped.. and that was with 2 flamers.. if those guys were fire dragons it would have been amazing ^^;

starcannons seem to work pretty well, they were relativly consistant, but the sheer mass of orks seemed to not be affected too much by a few losses.

bright lance didn't do much at all unfortunatly.. it shot about 7 times (over two games) and failed each go round >< only having one shot is a bit iffy

the wraithlord lived up to it's hype. it's ponderous advance quite happily whittled down some kind of orc heavy weapon squad before it got into close combat with two dreadnaughts.. it squished both of them ^^;

my friend also discovered the power of 24 shots from shuriken cannons when his little trucks got in close, the sheer volume saw that i managed to roll two sixes and blow a couple of them up ^^

i wasn't expecting much from the banshees.. they had no transport and no real close combat support. they were shot to buts by a big group of orks, although they did manage to carve through a group of bikes like they wern't there.

reapers proved pretty good at controlling a channel, unfortunatly it was only a large group of orks which meandered down said channel, so they didn't really have any valuable targets to get rid of, my opponent couldn't really get close enough to them to do anything, so each turn he had 10 high bs shots launched at him.. shame his little grots took most of the damage =/

i sent my avatar in to tie up the main body of orks he was flinging at me, i've come to the conclusion that the main strength of the avatar is that he's difficult to hit, he pretty much halted the main wedge from moving too far and proved more resilliant than i'd thought (crappy rolls from your opponent rock ^^)

i managed to snipe my opponents main boss with an augmented mindwar, at 36 inches i managed to roll a 6 and him a 3 (i'm now a firm believer in mindwar ^^) the council also managed to use their singing spears to bust another tank.

unfortunatly it wasn't all one sided. i still need some practice at judging distances, he managed to get some of his guys into close combat with my guardian squads without facing those 24 shots, that should never happen in my opinion. my guardians were minced once he got in close. as stated i also underestimated his zap cannon, which took down my baby falcon ;; i was doing well untill he hit cc, then things started sliding a bit.. my council were also rushed by the reminants of his command squad.. via climbing over a building which had been judged to be difficult terrain.. i considered myself somewhat safe behind it too.. anyways, a few bad rolls later and i lost a farseer and two warlocks =/

think my main issue was how i set up, i don't think i balanced it correctly. it was fun though ^^

-sin

Old 22 May 2005, 11:59   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Looks good for your first game. I've calculated your points cost to be 1537 points.

One not so small point:

You say at one point about firing 24 shuriken cannon shots. Guardians have shuriken catapults (I'm presuming however that that was just a mistake while typing! )

Also, according to your list in the defender squads you had 10 actual defenders and 2 crew. Now if you fire the heavy weapon then you can only fire with one of them that turn - meaning that by the rules you would only have been allowed to fire 20 shuriken catapult shots a turn from that squad and an extra two from one of the crew (presuming of course that the heavy weapon was fired...)
Old 22 May 2005, 12:21   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
You say at one point about firing 24 shuriken cannon shots. Guardians have shuriken catapults (I'm presuming however that that was just a mistake while typing! )
yes, catapults, sorry ><;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Also, according to your list in the defender squads you had 10 actual defenders and 2 crew. Now if you fire the heavy weapon then you can only fire with one of them that turn - meaning that by the rules you would only have been allowed to fire 20 shuriken catapult shots a turn from that squad and an extra two from one of the crew (presuming of course that the heavy weapon was fired...)
oopsie.. that may have been a small oversight on my part. i'll remember that ^^;

Old 22 May 2005, 12:49   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Well if that's the only mistake you made on your first game then that's very good (it's a lot less than the ones I made... :-\)