Troops

Black Guardian Defenders - 129
12x Guardians, Warlock w/ CC Weapon, Shuriken Pistol, Conceal

Black Guardian Defenders - 129
12x Guardians, Warlock w/ CC Weapon, Shuriken Pistol, Conceal

Guardian Defenders - 113
10x Guardians, Warlock w/ CC Weapon, Shuriken Pistol, Conceal

Guardian Storm Squad - 103
5x Guardians, 2x Flamers, Haywire Grenades, Warlock w/Witchblade, Shuriken Pistol, Destructor

Heavy Support

Dark Reapers - 233
4x Dark Reapers, Exarch w/ Fast Shot, EML

Falcon - 200
Scatter Laser, Holo-Field, Spirit Stone, Shuriken Cannon Upgrade

Wraithlord - 105
Scatter Laser, 2x Flamers

Total - 1700

The Storm squad will start in the Falcon, with the goal of disrupting the enemy's force with the flame templates, and with luck taking out a tank. The unit is more of a a distraction, though it has the potention to cause massive damage.

The Avatar will join the Seer Council, which will avance up the field, along with the Scorpions, the Wraithlord, and the Black Guardians. The extra Fortune is to be used on whoever needs it most.

The Dark Reapers will stay at the rear in some form of cover, with the regular Guardians providing a last line of defence against Deep Strikers, as well as helping to hold any objectives.
Old 16 May 2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Re: 1.7k Ulthwe list

That list seems to be fairly solid. And I can't really recommend anything but if I HAD to make any changes to that list then I would see to swapping the scatter lasers for starcannons or bright lances by dropping the shuriken cannon upgrade on the falcon. And maybe even dropping the storm squad and taking weapon platforms for your black guardians squads. (With starcannons or bright lances).

The reason I'd recommend these changes is to add a little bit more fire power to the list. But that's just my style of play so it mightent work for you.
Old 17 May 2005, 18:28   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

When most people post their lists I just read through it, I might make a small suggestion and blah blah blah, but when I read yours I just thought wow, I really like that list, plz play some games and tell me how they go. ;D
Old 17 May 2005, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

I quite like the list as well. There's nothing wrong with it so now all it'll come down do is different points of view on ceratin tactics and units. I would personally do as Freeman says in that I would change the storm squad for weapon platforms - I think that the only storm squads worth taking are black guardian ones but hey, that's just my opinion...
Old 17 May 2005, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

i'd add my voice to that.

in my opinion without a weapons platform i think that one of the main bonus of ulthwe (bs 4 defenders) is being wasted. although i see how they would be used - get into 12" range using fof and unleash the fury. although, if they're advancing with the avatar/council then they would be staying together without fof, so there's no reason not to. (weap platform gets you +2 defenders per squad too)

i'd also be a little worried about how you're going to bring the enemy into your sights of your reapers without them getting shot to bits next turn. it's generally accepted that reapers are best for controlling a channel of the battlefield. pending that the reapers are covered sufficiently.

the reason i bring up the reapers is that in effect, they're the only ranged +3 save killers you have, they're not mobile, and all it takes is for them to be left open for a turn.

against heavy armour or big big monsters, you're relying upon the pulse gun on the falcon and the rest of your advancing force to deal the blows. unfortunalty to deal the blows they have to get there first ^^;

i just think that at least one bright lance and starcannon should be included in an eldar army, they're trademark weapons for a reason meethinks! ^^

so in conclusion, this is what i'd go for-

i) i believe that the scatter lasers on the falcon should be bumped to a starcannon
ii) the scatter laser on the wraithlord should be bumped up to either a starcannon or bright lance
iii) both black guardians should be given starcannon platform/bright lance platform.

to pull this off you'd need to find 130 points from somewhere.

i'd recommend dropping the normal guardian squad and 2 guardians from each black squad. (you'll get them back with the weap platforms anyways)

i think that would give you more punch on the advance. just my opinion however ^^;

-sin

i make my own sigs! want one, then ask nicely ^^
Old 18 May 2005, 01:53   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to dark flame Send a message via MSN to dark flame

Oh yes, forgot to mention the main point of this list. I will never, ever, take a Starcannon in this list, and I am loathe to use a Bright Lance aswell. I'm happy to use them in my other lists, but I never will in this one. The point of this list is to prove that what makes an Eldar army is the general, not how many Starcannons and Bright Lances can be packed in. Any idiot can win with tons of those in their list, but it takes actual skill to win without them. I have yet to play with this actual list, but the variation that I use at 1.5k has yet to lose in many, many games.

On the Dark Reapers, I plan to set them up in cover, and if there is no cover, I'll use the Falcon to position them. With other high priority targets, such as the Falcon, the Seer Council, and the Wraithlord, I'm not too worried about the Reapers taking lots of fire anyway. And even then, how many guns outrange the Reapers, unless I'm playing Guard?
Old 18 May 2005, 09:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

in which case it'll be interesting to see the results. ;D against low save armies i'd expect the scatter lasers to wreak havoc (if you roll nicely). against those +3 save ones it could end up a little iffy though.

how about throwing in a missle launcher or two on a platform/wraithlord instead of the sc/bl ?

i do realise that you have a lot of other threats on the board ^^ (which is nice) it wouldn't take a genius of a general to note that the reapers are the only ranged unit which will effectivly hurt +3 save and won't have the potential of rolling only a single shot ^^; (ignoring the falcons big gun do to it's low rate of fire / low bs)

they're already a priority to be taken out by any general i'd expect.. no real reason to make them stand out even more than they do

just my thoughts : i think some EML will add more flexability, especially given it's two modes of fire ^^

-sin

i make my own sigs! want one, then ask nicely ^^
Old 18 May 2005, 10:14   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

Yes go forth, show the fat 12 year old Smurf commanders what the eldar can do with only 10% of the cheese of all these newly updated races!

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 18 May 2005, 16:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Fair enough. I understand precisely what you mean by cheesy starcannons although I've never thought of bright lances as cheesy...

EMLs are good, uncheesy effective weapons though so if you want a little more variety feel free to swap a scatter laser or two for them.
Old 18 May 2005, 22:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to dark flame Send a message via MSN to dark flame

I've never thought of Bright Lances or Stacannons as cheesy. In fact, other than a few things (C'Tan for example) I don't think anything is cheesy. However, some things are easily powergamed, like Starcannons. I don't use Bright Lances either merely because they are also a common staple in Eldar lists, and I want to show that they aren't needed to win.

As for the Missle Launchers, the only place I could really put them is on the Guardian squads, and I am loathe to do that, as I find that the increased mobility of the Guarians is very useful, as most games, especially in tournament play, tend to involve capturing objectives over killing the enemy. Even if I did take an EML or two, I'm not sure what I would take out, though the Wraithlord would be the option I'd consider the most.
Closed Thread