Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactical suggestions.
Closed Thread
Old 13 May 2005, 09:06   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman
Default Tactical suggestions.

OK people. This Sunday I'll be playing my friends tau (which is quite an opportunity for me considering can't play very often). So anyway I thought it might be helpful to tell you guys the situation and seek out some advice and/or opinions. So here we go.

My Force:

HQ.

2x Farseer 1w/ eldrich storm and mind war, 1w/ fortune, 4x warlocks, 2w/ destructor, 1w/ enhance, 1w/ embolden
all have witchblades.

Troops.

10x Black Guardians 1x warlock w/conceal 1x weapon platform 2x crew w/ starcannon

10x Black Guardians 1x warlock w/conceal 1x weapon platform 2x crew w/ starcannon

7x Dire avengers 1x exarch w/ defend, distract, power weapon.

Fast Attack.

Vyper Jetbike w/ shuriken cannon, star cannon, CTM

Heavy Support.

Falcon w/ starcannon, CTM, Holo field, spirit stones

wraithlord w/ bright lance, shuriken catapult, flamer

wraithlord w/ bright lance, shuriken catapult, flamer

Transport.

Wave Serpant w/ twin linked bright lances, spirit stones, shuriken cannon.

----------------

Opponents Force: (sorry that it's not quite precise)

HQ.

1x Shas O w/ rocket pods, plasma rifle, shield generator, multi tracker

Troops.

12x fire warriors
12x fire warriors
16x kroot

Fast Attack.

8x gun drones (I think they are fast attack)

Elites.

3x crisis suites w/ rocket pods, twin linked plasma rifles, multi trackers
6x stealth suites

Heavy Support.

1x Hammerhead w/ railgun, burst cannons, decoy launchers, ((increased BS)).
3x Broadsides w/ smart missile systems, drone controllers, 6x gun drones

--------------

Now my opponent usually positions his FW's, HH, Broadsides, Commander and Crisis suites towards the back of the tables to simple stand and shoot. He then infiltrates his kroot and deep strikes the stealth suites and gun drones.

I'm planning on keeping my guardian squads back to shoot along with the vyper (who uses CTM to hide), whilst marching my lords up the field support by the falcon. The dire avengers will stay back with my guardians to help deal with the deep striking units when they arrive. My seer council will be transported up the field in the wave serpent.

The problem I usually face when doing this is that his broadsides pose a big threat to all my armoured units. And his deep striking things really mess up my lines.
Some of my choices could be to transport the dire avengers in the wave serpent and transport the seer council in the serpent. If I did this I would take guide instead of mind war and 'twin link' the falcons guns. Hoping to kill those broadsides. Only problem with that, is he will try to shoot the falcon with all his railguns, effectively blowing it up.

-------------

I could really do with some tactical help especially considering that I don't play very often and that I've never really played anyone except this guy.

Thanks in advance.
Old 15 May 2005, 17:29   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Re: Tactical suggestions.

Sorry, it's Sunday now so it looks like I'm too late to comment.* Anyway do tell us how it went :P

Looking at your list you appear to have lots of things which are vulnerable to railguns - two wraithlords, a falcon, wave serpent and vyper.* Your tactics seem ok but rather fragmented which many staying behind and some going forward.* If I was battling your opponent's army I might think about swapping the vyper for a unit of swooping hawks - which can then deep strike wherever you want using grenades ( >.)
I would also ditch a wraithlord and perhaps use the points to build up points worth of swooping hawks (they're great against Tau fire warriors) or perhaps a unit od Dark Reapers (with EML.)

Anyway hopefully my advice will be useless because hopefully you will have won (insert hopeful smiley.)
Old 15 May 2005, 17:43   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

well it certainly looks as if the heavies will fight it out tooth to tooth, those bright lances could be very effective against a Hammerhead and those broadsides...

And there are more than enough starcannons to deal with the battlesuits! All in all it looks as if you have the more guns actually, just catching the tau and getting into range may be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
with EMS
sorry for my ignorance, what is an EMS? I know EML is eldar missile launcher...

Old 15 May 2005, 17:56   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Sorry :P I meant EML. Anyway my post is correctly modified....
Old 15 May 2005, 21:48   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to freeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Sorry, it's Sunday now so it looks like I'm too late to comment.* Anyway do tell us how it went :P

Looking at your list you appear to have lots of things which are vulnerable to railguns - two wraithlords, a falcon, wave serpent and vyper.* Your tactics seem ok but rather fragmented which many staying behind and some going forward.* If I was battling your opponent's army I might think about swapping the vyper for a unit of swooping hawks - which can then deep strike wherever you want using grenades ( >.)
I would also ditch a wraithlord and perhaps use the points to build up points worth of swooping hawks (they're great against Tau fire warriors) or perhaps a unit od Dark Reapers (with EML.)

Anyway hopefully my advice will be useless because hopefully you will have won (insert hopeful smiley.)
Thanks for that. Those are some useful suggestions. But here is a link to a battle report I wrote on the battle. It's a bit shotty but that's because it's the first one I ever wrote. And if you couldn't be bothered to read it then yes I did win!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=7347.0
Old 16 May 2005, 06:40   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Delighted to hear it ;D ;D

Many more games may you win in the name of the advancement of the Eldar empire....
Old 16 May 2005, 17:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Well i wouldn't normally say well done...eldar defeating my beloved tau! But heydeho your a good guy, well done and a nicely written report as well!