Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

The eldar survival plan....
Closed Thread
Old 12 May 2005, 17:14   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default The eldar survival plan....

shortly after the fall the eldar prepare a plan of defence in how they will survive despite their lacking populations.

"ok, heres what we're going to do,we can't afford a lot of casulties,so all you guys, yea the guys in the middle who aren't trained for war, you're going to be our frontline, don't worry, we're going to equip you with the latest in paper-thin armor, sure it wouldn't stop a grot blasta, but it looks pretty and it breathes like cotton!, also we're giving these neat spinny-disk guns, you have to get close to use them, but when you pull the trigger it makes a cool sound."

The eldar looked at each other with concerned expressions, untill someone rang out," don't worry they're stupid mon-keigh"

A great cheer rose from the great hall..........
Old 12 May 2005, 19:36   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: The eldar survival plan....

lmao, yeah that sounds about how the plan went.
Old 12 May 2005, 20:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Avatar youve pretty much summed up what's wrong with the Eldar and why they need major upgrading in fourth edition.

I've always been fine with the weapons (as they were very powerful for the time they were made but they were balanced out by the short range) at least until GW decided to make rapid fire much more powerful meaning that the shuriken catapult is outclassed by about every rapid fire weapon that exists however I've never understood the armour aspect of it. Eldar are supposed to be the oldest and most technologically advanced race in the galaxy (except perhaps Tau) but yet their basic armour is, um, practically useless.

The main problem is that when you suggest improvements people always turn around and say that that's not fluffy. For example:

I want the Eldar shuriken weapons to be better.
No, that wouldn't fit in with the Eldar fluff
Ok...oh yes, I would like the Farseer (which is supposed to be a potent psyker) to have new and better powers
No way, that would be seriously unfluffy
Well I would like the Eldar to have slightly better armour or methods of protection considering that they are technologically advanced and considering as they're dying they don't want to lose many people and -
You can't be serious, that would totally contradict the eldar fluff.
And some of the Eldar units such as Shining Spears are overpriced, I'd like them to cost less
But that wouldn't fit in with the fluff
And finally I'd like to see a slightly bigger and better armoury/wargear section, not on the scale of SMurfs but -
Mate, that just doesn't fit in with the Eldar fluff at all

Anybody understand what I mean? :-\
Old 12 May 2005, 21:16   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Well Guardians aren't trained soldiers, they're militia.

Also, what's the point of having armour when it doesn't work? The whole reason Platemail faded out when Muskets were developed is because you needed so much armour you could barely move. Thus, logically, the Eldar armour is more for minor protection than stopping enemy fire...

...true, Aspect Warriors get better stuff, but they eat, sleep and breathe warfare. Guardians just fight as something to do between potting plants.

It's the same with vehicles: the Bright Lance renders armour nigh on worthless, so why have vehicle armour? If the Bright Lance negates anything beyond 3" of Wraithbone shell, then there's no point in making it thicker.

Finally, Eldar are arrogant. They are so undisputedly convinced of their own superiority they believe they will succeed regardless of what the enemy tries. The fact they can usually slaughter the enemy before a single mon-keigh has time to fire is another major factor in their tactics and equip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 12 May 2005, 22:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to arguleon-veq

Actually many craftworlds actively try to avoid conflict, Biel-tan bieng the one that is treally agressive (and they use aspects).

Eldar tactics rely on speed, they attack then withdraw before the enemy can reply, therefore Guardians armour is perfectly suited to this as they need the speed to attack an withdraw, something which heavier armour would hinder.

Eldar have never been ALL that more powerful an advanced than other races, at the pinnacle of thier empire, humans also had a huge empire and were at their most advanced. Eldar can never really claim that they ruled the galaxy because they never did, nothing as big or imposing as the current imperial empire.

The shuri.cat was brilliant and fitted in with the hit and run tactics etc, It has been admitted that the psychic powers need uprgrading as they are getting more powerful in fourth ed so that will be fixed.

Old 13 May 2005, 07:07   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arguleon-veq
The shuri.cat was brilliant and fitted in with the hit and run tactics etc, It has been admitted that the psychic powers need uprgrading as they are getting more powerful in fourth ed so that will be fixed.
the shuriken catapult was fine until the release of the new rapid fire rules.* I agree about the psychic powers though
Old 13 May 2005, 13:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

I would say something but it might go against the fluff...
I think D-cannons should have more range but a smaller blast...

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 14 May 2005, 06:33   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to crazedmongoose2003

honestly, the shuriken catapult is meant to fire at the a faster rate than most other weapons and is a very effective infantry weapon. The stats don't show that these days.

Same thing goes for Avatar, which is now pale in comparison with the new greater deamons and the ctans.

http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...c,86474.0.html
Old 14 May 2005, 16:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Eldar's armor is mesh so they can move quickly and unburdened by extremely heavy stuff like armor of the SMurfs. If guardians were laden with heavy armor they'd never have the concept of the Fleet of Foot rule.

But my question is if they're so advanced, why don't they make a lighter but more resilient armor, neh?
Old 14 May 2005, 16:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervantes
But my question is if they're so advanced, why don't they make a lighter but more resilient armor, neh?
because then they'd be rivaling the marines? ^^;

i guess there's only so far you can take technology before you'll start having problems improving upon it.

i make my own sigs! want one, then ask nicely ^^
Closed Thread