Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dark Reapers
Old 08 Sep 2008, 07:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Dark Reapers

Dark reapers look like somethign I'd like to build around. A unit of them and a couple of pathfinder units seems like it'd make a great firebase. But if 1/3 of the missions are DoW and they cannot start on the board how do you deal with them?

It seems to me they lose alot if they have to spend a round or more moving into position. If you happen to have a nice peice of terrain near your boardedge, great, but it seems more often than not it would take 2-3 turns to get them somewhere.

So what do people do in this situation to help offset them?

I was thinking a falcon can drop them off in one turn if you put them inside. That way they could be dropped pretty much anywhere within 12" of your board edge and can start shooting on turn 2.
Old 08 Sep 2008, 08:51   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Dark Reapers

Remember, with dawn of war missions everything comes on turn 1, no rolls for reserves required. So with good planning they can come on and have great fire lanes (can't make it to cover 8 inches away? Use run!) I never leave home without my reapers. With troops being the only scoring units, and MEQs being extremely common, they will get most enemies off an objective. Exarch with tempest launcher+ crack shot gets enemies in covered objectives out of there quick smart!
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Sep 2008, 16:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I have to admit I have toyed around with sicko reaper based armies a couple of times, and whooped the snot out of my opponents to the point of feeling kind of guilty afterwards (2x Tau and 1 Marine game completely dominated - I usually use my hawks instead).

The trouble I have with them is that they and the Rangers are the only Eldar that cannot maneuver and fire. If you base your army around the mobility of the Eldar like I do, they will be left behind as you skim around corners and take out isolated units and exploit LOS with the rest of your army. Reapers cannot do the maneuver game, and they get you in a quandry where you have to leave other units near them to support them, where those supporting units would otherwise be zooming around with the rest of the army and staying out of harms way.

Here's the thing: They are durable, they are hard hitting, and they are static. If they are the only static element in the army (which they often are) they will either require other units to be le mobile than they would normally be, in order to support them, or be left alone to get mobbed while the rest of your army zooms around. Neither of these is a good solution.

My $0.20 on adding a reaper squad:

For small squads: first is a 3 man squad with a fast or crack shot exarch with a tempest launcher. This makes people feel a need to move, it forces their hand.

I have heard that a favorite for a small squad is a fast shot missile launcher exarch in a 3 squad, for a very killy anti-tank dedicated unit. This seems like a good idea if you know your opponent is a tanky kind of guy, but becomes pretty useless when the orks and nids show up in hundreds and there aren't any devilfish or lemans or land raiders around to smack. Reapers are not meant to attack vehicles, they are meant to shred heavy infantry. Putting an exarch with an anti-tank weapon in renders the rest of the squad useless when it shoots at the tank.

If you want to get heavy though, the next best thing to use is a shuriken cannon, because your reapers will be closed on if it is a large 5 man squad, and at least you can shoot on the move with that. Otherwise you have a very easy to counter unit that could rip stuff apart if they didnt keep having to relocate to stay out of danger. Any smart opponent will close on them with fast stuff to make them have to move, or simply outshoot them with numbers (ech... fire warriors).

The way I have found to counter this problem is by dedicating your HQ to your reapers. If you really want to dominate a fire lane, you plant all five of them where they can see just about everywhere. Only use 1 turn to get there if you can't deploy there in the first place. I don't think a falcon is necessary now that they can run. You should be able to find some good vantage point with a turn of movement.

Here's the key: You lurk a fortuneseer behind them so they can reroll their 3+, then it barely matters if they are in cover or not. Then join them with a reaper autarch who can detatch and do a suicide charge on anything that gets too close, giving them a turn to reposition as he dies heroically as a speedbump. Obviously Maugan is an even better choice than the autarch, because he just shreds stuff anyway, doesn't die, and nobody wants to get close to that weapon of his. He is a bit pricey though... so: the ultimate reaper combo (in my humble opinion) without Maugan is this:

5 reapers, exarch, tempest or shricannon, crack shot (shricannon) or fastshot (tempest)
autarch, reaper gun, mandis, powersword (or scorpsword)
farseer, spear, fortune, guide, spirit stones

if you cannot dominate the board with that then the dice gods just hate you. It probably costs around 400 points though, and both HQ choices will be dedicated to them, leaving the rest of your army without superpower support. Despite the cost, they are very hard to kill, can hit all over the place, smash MEQ, and force the opponent to either move up to them or move out of LOS of them, giving you a big advantage in the maneuvery dodge-n-shoot game you play with the rest of your army. Use the reapers as the base, yes, maybe if you have them, rangers would work well as a neighbor unit because they are also statics, their guns threaten things that reaper guns don't and vice-versa. It gives the opponent even more to want to close on or avoid, forcing the hand that much more.

cheers and good luck.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Sep 2008, 07:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I completely forgot about run. That would help alot to help get them positioned.

@ Cent:
That is a good point about rangers and reapers being the only really static units we have. I think that is part of my beef with them (reapers). I am used to very mobile shooting armies and they just don't seem to fit into that. But I am looking at trying out some other units and infantry to try to get more bang for my buck. An all mech list is tough with all the points spent on transports. It worked in 4th because they were so tough and could turbo onto objectives on turn 6. But the new rules make these tactics a bit less reliable.
Old 09 Sep 2008, 07:39   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

Well with crackshot and a reaper launcher mobility is not a real issue anymore unless there are alot of hills.. last game i dont think I even considered moving my DR's and the 1 squad tied up an entire 1/3 of the board.

Its nice to use reapers again havent used them sence 2nd eddition.... And i say My exarch is aiming for there eyes..... everyone knows there are no armor saves for eyes
Old 10 Sep 2008, 16:37   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

8)

Hey if you have the models for 2x5 reaper squads this can get sick ugly and mech eldar is overplayed anyway in my opinion.

first concern, you are dumping lots of points into three small squads. This means the rest of your army should be quantity over quality. Ever seen the Eldar Phalanx from the olden days? lots of Guardians with scatterlas platforms, rangers, and reapers. Play Eldar the exact opposite way you would be expected to. Yeah they have to come to you for once. I browsed my codex for the ultimate static formation I could think of in a moment's notice and came up with this approximate 1000 list if you have enough Reaper models to pull it off. Points values, as per forum rules, are approximated.

Reapers (5) exarch, fast shot, tempest launcher @200
Reapers (5) exarch, fast shot, tempest launcher @200

Rangers (5), pathfinders @100
Rangers (5), pathfinders @100

Guardians (10), missile @100
Guardians (10), missile @100

Farseer, fortune @100
Farseer, fortune @100

Throw in some anti-tank with the remaining points, maybe an EML walker or EML Vyper in place of some rangers, or upgrade the guardian's platforms to BL, or maybe spears for the seers. All of those options both are cheap points switches if you have the figs to do it.

Now you have a nasty static firebase army. The rangers and reapers stay put and shovel dice, the guardians screen for them, and the fortuneseers support them. It isn't exactly elegant but that's a lot of good shots with almost-impunity to return fire due to the Guardian screen and fortune support.
Guitardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Sep 2008, 02:21   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I agree that Centurions list looks like a very nice static fire force. If the points were available, I would try and squeeze in an Embolden Warlock and beef the guardians up to 12 minis. Nothing worse than a required screen doing a runner on turn 2!

To fit with the cheap anti tank, you could throw a spear onto the warlocks as well (they will probably be better positioned than the farseers to deal with incoming tanks).
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote