Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Eldar 5th Edition FAQ
Old 31 Jul 2008, 22:55   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default New Eldar 5th Edition FAQ

The new Eldar 5th edition FAQ may be found here.

Please use this thread only for specific rules questions regarding Craftworld Eldar, that cannot be easily answered by owning a codex or rulebooks (i.e., do not ask questions such as "What is the BS of a Guardian?")

You may also review older rules discussions here. The older discussion has information regarding the most recent Codex, so please review that thread before asking your questions.

Thanks!

- Yriel
Old 06 Aug 2008, 13:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: New Eldar 5th Edition FAQ

Alright, so let's get this started.

Does a Guardian Heavy Weapons team count as having different wargear for the purpose of wound allocation? The Codex states that they have Shuriken Catapults but doesn't distinguish if the Weapons Platform counts as wargear. The rules do say that the model firing the weapon is assumed to be "carrying" it.

So is (A) only that model considered to have different wargear (and only if firing the heavy weapon) or (B) are they both considered to have different wargear (being a heavy weapon "team") or (C) are they not considered to have different wargear (as they don't actually have different wargear or statlines)?
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 11:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Since this query has been open a while, I will take a punt!

The way I have played this to date is (B). I.e. I reckon since they have been "upgraded" to a "Weapon Team", for the purposes of wound allocation they are treated separately.

I agree it is a bit grey however, and probably deserves an official FAQ.

Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 16:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yes- this should probably be FAQ'ed. Here's my unofficial take on it though:

According to the rules- one of the crewman is assumed to be carrying the weapon. It never specifies that one of the specific models must be the one firing each turn, and in fact there's nothing stopping you from doing this:

A x x x x
x x x x B

A and B are the platform crewman. There is no requirement for them to stay within coherency of one another- just that they remain coherent with the unit.

Now you can fire one turn drawing distance and LoS from A, and on the following turn have your shot fired from B.

Therefore allocating shooting hits should consider them BOTH to be carrying the weapon, and therefore both models with different equipment than the squad.

That's how I'd treat it anyway.

- Yriel
Old 08 Aug 2008, 17:06   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

To back up Yriel, the distinction isn't just necessarily between equipment carried. A vet sergeant in a marine squad that carried a bolter and power armor would still require a distinct roll from the rest of the squad. Stat lines, abilities, etc, all play into the determination. So, that being said, I'd treat a 20 man guardian squad with a heavy weapon as 18 guardians and then 2 crew.
tierdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 17:47   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

regarding shining spears. The weapon that spears carry, has the "lance" rule, does this apply to its swings in melee (in case I find myself in melee with a landraider)? This has never come up, but seems somewhat ambiguous as this is the only "Lance" that can be used in melee, and to my knowledge the lance rule doesn't state that it works only at range.

Mal: (to Simon) "See, morbid and creepifying, I got no problem with, long as she does it quiet-like."
The Mighty Plipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 18:03   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

As with IG, guardians have 2 man team; one man is on the heavy weapon, the other can shoot his catapult. If the man on the gun is killed, the second gunner can take over. Now in 5th, once he is killed the gun is gone. Meat shields don't work well now with small numbers.
Shaso Wanax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Aug 2008, 18:21   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Plipo
regarding shining spears. The weapon that spears carry, has the "lance" rule, does this apply to its swings in melee (in case I find myself in melee with a landraider)? This has never come up, but seems somewhat ambiguous as this is the only "Lance" that can be used in melee, and to my knowledge the lance rule doesn't state that it works only at range.
The "Lance" rule is a shooting weapon "type" therefore the rule can only be used for shooting.

(Thanks for all the feedback on the weapons team guys...I think that will work).
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Aug 2008, 05:14   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mighty Plipo
The "Lance" rule is a shooting weapon "type" therefore the rule can only be used for shooting.

(Thanks for all the feedback on the weapons team guys...I think that will work).
And the answer is actually right in the eldar codex on pg 37 where it talks about the lances. It says"...models armed with a laser lance count as having str 6 power weapons." So they count as str 6 power weapons. Then it goes on to say, "...may be used as a ranged weapon with the following profile:" and then has the shooting stats including the "lance" rule. Nowhere does it indicate that they have the lance effect in CC.
Old 15 Aug 2008, 08:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

If a wraithlord fails his wraithsight test, and is then tankshocked, is he destroyed? He isn't allowed to move or attack, so what happens?
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote