Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Eldar 5th Edition FAQ
Old 18 Aug 2008, 09:53   #11 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: New Eldar 5th Edition FAQ

My guess is yes, I would treat it as a "trapped" scenario. Probably should be clarified however by GW.
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Aug 2008, 00:02   #12 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think a wraithlord/gaurd unit that is tank shocked just sits there and nothing happens and the tank just passes thru. If for some reason the tank stopped on the models I would move them out of the way of the tank. In this case I'd say the tank is pushing them aside.

But if you take the example of wraithgaurd in a destroyed transport the wraithgaurd are destroyed, too. Using the same logic the tank would destroy the gaurd/lord.
Old 02 Sep 2008, 00:00   #13 (permalink)
Shas'El

If a Farseer with Fortune cast on himself suffers a Perils of the Warp attack, and his Ghosthelm fails to protect him, what happens? Fortune allows him to re-roll unsuccessful saves. However, a Perils of the Warp attack forces you to re-roll successful saves. Furthermore, only one re-roll may be taken regardless of the source (page 2 of rulebook).

So, what happens?
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 00:26   #14 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
If a Farseer with Fortune cast on himself suffers a Perils of the Warp attack, and his Ghosthelm fails to protect him, what happens? Fortune allows him to re-roll unsuccessful saves. However, a Perils of the Warp attack forces you to re-roll successful saves. Furthermore, only one re-roll may be taken regardless of the source (page 2 of rulebook).

So, what happens?
Wow. Great question. You could play it one of two ways. Version #1 treat it like Shadows of the Warp + Runes of Witnessing. That is to say, they cancel each other out and you roll only once.

Version #2 is probably the better. That is to say, roll the first save - if it's successful, re-roll. If it's a failure, re-roll. Either way, you're re-rolling the first result 100% of the time and always taking the re-rolled result.

So you still end up with one re-roll. You are simply guaranteed the re-roll.
Farseer_Emlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 00:32   #15 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farseer_Emlyn
Wow. Great question. You could play it one of two ways. Version #1 treat it like Shadows of the Warp + Runes of Witnessing. That is to say, they cancel each other out and you roll only once.

Version #2 is probably the better. That is to say, roll the first save - if it's successful, re-roll. If it's a failure, re-roll. Either way, you're re-rolling the first result 100% of the time and always taking the re-rolled result.

So you still end up with one re-roll. You are simply guaranteed the re-roll.
Statistically, the second way works out identically to the first, for both the 4++ save Farseer and 3++ save Eldrad. It's still a 0.5 chance of passing for the first and a 0.667 (3sf) for the second.
[hr]
Masked Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Sep 2008, 01:09   #16 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked Thespian
Statistically, the second way works out identically to the first, for both the 4++ save Farseer and 3++ save Eldrad. It's still a 0.5 chance of passing for the first and a 0.667 (3sf) for the second.
Exactly. Which is why I suggested the first resolution at all...because it makes no real difference. However, if you are trying to accurately stick to exactly the way the rules work, then option #2 is the more accurate (if not redundant) way to play that situation.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 09:55   #17 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

A few questions about Striking Scorpion Exarch war gear -

His power claw that states it "may be used either as a shuriken pistol or power fist/claw"...

1) If used as a power claw, may he also shoot the pistol in the shooting phase? Seems silly, but when do you "decide" how it will be used that turn?

Having a scorpion chainsword in the offhand that grants +1 str, it is already known that under 5e he loses his extra attack for 2 weapons wielding a powerfist, but -

2a) How is the total strength calculated when hitting with the claw? Is it base S x 2? (S+1) x 2? or (S x 2) + 1? It makes a big difference when trying to punch vehicles and cause instant death on tougher characters (i.e. Marine Captains). Is there a similar ruling on using a power-fist with Furious Charge?

2b) In assault, can you choose to use the pistol option instead, gaining +1 A for two weapons and swinging at regular I value, but losing the power claw S boost and armor ignoring ability?

The second option - the paired swords with built-in pistols...

3a) Does he have 2 shooting attacks in the shooting phase for wielding 2 pistols, similar to how the DA Exarchs can stack 2 weapons?

3b) Does the +1 A stated in the description stack with the normal 2 weapon bonus? Remember that he technically has 4 weapons, 2 in each hand, but it may be mentioned in the description to be redundant or as a reminder of the main rules.
PolecatEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Sep 2008, 11:38   #18 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ok, I'll try to answer, then one of the others will correct me.
1. It isn't a pistol built in, its a catapult (2 shots)
2. This question got a small amount of conflict earlier. You cannot combine two seperate weapons for your attacks (Ie, no claw and chain sword to get strength 7/8, no combining force weapons and power fists etc)
3. The claw strikes at strength 6 initiative 1. If a unit has furious charge, or something else that boosts strength, it is added after and doubling, furious charge powerfists for example are strength 9. (2xS +1)
4. I'm not sure about this, but if you don't wield a power fist as a powerfist, I think you should get the bonus for 2 cc weapons (its not as slow and unweildly to use)
5. He has 2 shuriken pistols, but he doesn't get a stack up. With the avenger exarch and warp spider exarch, their weapon directly say they become "uber". This, however isn't said. The "uberness" is the fact you can re-roll all failed to hit and wound rolls (including shooting).
6. The +1 attack is for both chainsabres, so you get no more extra attacks. Its only a bonus for 2 cc weapons, you cant get extra for 3, or 4 (unless your a walker)

Hope I was of help...
limpchickeninabizkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Sep 2008, 05:23   #19 (permalink)
Shas'O

I'm a little confused by the questions and answers thusfar so I'm going to try to consolidate so that other readers might not be confused.

1) The Scorpions Claw also has a Shuriken Catapult and both may be used in the same turn (i.e. you may fire the Catapult then assault with the Scorpion's Claw). The Shuriken Catapult component does not count as an additional close combat weapon - which I think is what may have been asked.

2a) Powerfist strength (Scorpion's Claw included) is calculated by first doubling the strength then adding any modifiers. However, there are no modifiers in this instance because the Scorpion Chainsword and Scorpion's Claw may not be used in the same assault phase (i.e. their abilities do not overlap).

2b) Yes and No. There are three factors at work here.
I. According to the entry on page 42 of the main rules under "A normal and a special weapon" you cannot get the +1 attack for two close combat weapons with the types listed unless you have two of the same. Scorpion's Claw would qualify as one of these weapons so you never get a +1 attack with a Scorpions Claw for having two close combat weapons - regardless of which weapon you use.

II. The Scorpion's Claw replaces the Shuriken Pistol. So you could not substitute the pistol to strike at initiative.

III. You could, however, substitute the Scorpion Chainsword or Biting Blade for the Scorpions claw to strike at initiative with these weapons special ability. The potential loads for a Scorpion Exarch are especially confusing. If anyone needs further clarification, please ask.

3a) Chainsabres. No - the rules do not account for the pistols adding an extra attack similar to the Dual Catapults of the Dire Avengers. The pistols are, however, twin-linked and can be used as such.

3b) Be careful not to confuse story-line with rules. Admittedly, there are many places in the rules where GW seems to blend the two. Chainsabres are one weapon upgrade which confer a +1 attack bonus and count as twin-linked pistols. They are not two separate weapons in the rules.

Hopefully this answers your questions.
Em
Old 24 Oct 2008, 09:25   #20 (permalink)
Shas'La

Can a farseer cast guide, doom, and fortune if in close combat? As they are not shooting attacks I would think so?
Dire Avenger is offline   Reply With Quote