Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Eldar vs Space Marines - Battle Report
Old 10 May 2008, 12:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Eldar vs Space Marines - Battle Report

As a preface, this is my 7th game of 40k and first against Space Marines (also my first battlereport). Criticques are welcome

The majority of this report was written over the past 3 days during breaks at work, hopefully it is somewhat coherent.

P.S. hopefully my poor microsoft paint skills can be excused!

Eldar vs Space Marines (1750 points)

The Eldar FOC:

HQ: Farseer (Doom, SS & Fortune)

Troops: 10 Dire Avengers (W/ exarch, dual catapults + bladestorm)
10 Guardians + Warlock (Scatter Laser + Conceal)
10 Guardians (Shuriken cannon)
3 Jetbikes (Shuriken cannon)

Elites: 6 Harlequins (W/ Troupe Master, Shadowseer all w/ kiss)
5 Fire Dragons (W/ Wave Serpent – Twin Linked Shuriken cannons, Vectored Engines, Spirit Stones)

Fast Attack: Vyper (with scatter laser)
5 Warp Spiders (W/ Exarch, dual death spinners, Powerblades and Withdrawl)

Heavy Support: 1 Falcon (With Vectored Engines, Spirit Stones, Holo field and Star Cannon)
1 Wraithlord (with 2 x Flamers, EML and Brightlance)
5 Dark Reapers (w/ Exarch with Crack Shot)

The SM FOC (from memory):

HQ: Chaplain (Jump Pack)

Troops: Space Marines (10) with Rhino
5 Scouts with infilitrate

Elites: 10 x Tactical marines (1 Missile Launcher + 1 Autocannon)
10 x Tactical marines (1 Missile Launcher + 1 Autocannon)

Fast Attack: 10 x Assault Marines (W/ Power Fist Sargent all Jump Inf)
10 x Assault Marines (W/ Power Fist Sargent all Jump Inf)

Heavy Support: 1 Dreadnaught (2 heavy flamers)
1 Annihilator (3 Auto cannons, 1 twin linked)

Mission: Secure & Control – Gamma

Table Edge: Space Marines Choose side

Deployment:

Dusk to Dawn: The game starts at Dawn, night fighting turn 1 here we come

Turn Sequence: Space Marines win the turn roll, Eldar to enjoy the long range night fight first!

Eldar Turn 1: Fortune on the reapers. The Falcon, Heads mid field leaving a lane of fire on the midfield squad of Tactical marines. The Vyper follows. Jetbikes and Warps move Left away from the right flank. The guardians move to the hill top, the avengers take their place at the foot of the hill (out of los). The guardians with warlock move into the woods along side the reapers (huge movement of 1”). The wave serpent moves to the narrow left flank (exposed but still deep in my deployment zone). The farseer heads into cover behind the reapers. No movement for the reapers or W/Lord.

In shooting, the guardians with the warlock fleet to try and screen the reapers from a possible turn 2 / 3 assault, they move a further whopping 1”. All other shooters fail to see further than 15” in the dark, thus no shots are fired.

SM Turn 1: Both Assault squads jump up field their 12”. The Dreadnaught moves up (looking forward to roasting the reaper and guardian groups). The Rhino moves up along side the dreadnaught and pops smoke. The annihilator goes hull down on the elder left flank and lines up the wave serpent. The scouts creep up the side of the woods.

In shooting, The tactical marines fire a krak at the falcon, who shrugs it off. The annihilator fails to glance the wave serpent. All other shooters fail to penetrate the darkness.
Eldar Turn 2: The sun comes up! Fortune on the reapers. The Falcon moves above the forest in the middle of the board after a 12” jump. The gallant Vyper takes a defensive position on its right flank. The warp spiders and jetbikes continue their exit from right field, the latter positioned to take a shot at the tactical marines in centre field. The W/Lord rests his guns on the tops of the forest and lines up the Annihilator. The wave serpent jumps forward and exposes the cowering scouts. The guardians with Warlock move a massive 2” this time through the woods (they are almost clear!). To ensure the bbq bait is even tastier, the dire avengers form a conga line between the guardian squads and move upwards towards the flank. The guardian squad moves up and slightly midfield (I suspect they will bear the brunt of the assault squads soon in turn 3, thus I am careful to ensure the reapers have good los and adequate range between them to ensure I get to shoot them!).

In shooting, (from right to left) the Vyper fires at the Tactical SM’s in centre field for no effect. The falcon fires at the same unit for 2 casualties. The jetbikes fire at the same unit for 1 casualty. The guardian SC platform fires at the same unit for no effect. The Dire avengers fleet in conga formation and now partially screen the reapers. The Guadians with scatter laser fire at the same unit of SM’s for no effect. The reapers continue to look scary. The wave serpent fires at the scouts and dispose of 1. The wraithlord fires both the brightlance and krak at the hull down annihilator. 1 Glance and 1 Penetration. The pentratation is not downgraded, nor is it needed, the glance hit returns a vehicle destroyed result (the reapers pull out their pom poms and line up in pyramid formation).
In assault the Jetbikes retreat behind the hills.

SM Turn 2: The dreadnaught moves into the woods and gets closer to flaming away. The Rhino continues up the elder left flank, and unloads a squad of space marines. The Assault marines with the Chaplain jump to within range of the vyper and falcon. The other assault marines continue to move up the right Eldar flank, and start drifting towards midfield (where did everyone go?) The scouts enter the woods ahead of the dreadnaught.

In shooting, the rhino shoots at the wave serpent for no effect, the dreadnaught shakes the wave serpent. The tactical marines shake the falcon.

In assault, the assault marines and chaplain assault the Vyper and Falcon (chaplain and 3 assault marines on the vyper, the sergant with power fist and remaining marines on the falcon). The vyper is destroyed; the falcon takes another shaken result (luckily still not stirred).

Eldar Turn 3: Fortune on the reapers and Doom onto the Space marines that recently departed the Rhino. The Falcon heads deep into SM territory behind the middle tactical marine squad. The jetbikes jump back to midfield. The warp spiders jump to the right flank to attempt to shoot the assault marines (I make an error here, the vyper wreck leaves them with only 1 viable target from this position). The guardians continue to push towards midfield to give the reapers a bit more breathing room. The Dire avengers now fully screen the reapers from the space marines departing the rhino assault threat. The guardians with warlock clean up the lines in the area somewhat in readiness for the assault marine arrival. The wraithlord stays put as do the reapers and farseer. The wave serpent jumps 12” into centre field and unloads the fire dragons (hello dreadnaught!).

In shooting, the jetbikes fire into the tactical marines in midfield for no effect. The warp spiders take down 1 assault marine. The guardians fire at the mid field tactical marines for no effect. With the left flank somewhat crowded, my first goal was to try and thin it out some. The wriathlord fires at the rhino – 1 penetration was all that was required, a crater remains (1 scout burns in the inferno). The reapers quickly put their cheerleader gear away and unload on the fully visible space marine squad, 5 down. Time for the fire dragons to fire, the dreadnaught falls to the ground. The Dire Avengers and Guardians with Warlock clean up the remaining Space Marines. 3 Scouts are all that is left on the Left flank (annihilator, rhino, 10 Sm’s and a dreadnaught all taken down without loss).

In assault the warp spiders jump back to the other side of the forest, and the jetbikes jump back in the hope of forcing some difficult terrain landing tests on the assault force that will hit next turn.

SM Turn 3: The Scouts on the left move into the woods heading towards the Fire Dragons. The Assault Marines with chaplain Jump between the woods near the Jetbikes and Guardian Squads (warp spiders nearby). 1 marine was forced to test his balance on landing. The rock proved too much and he broke his neck. The other Assault squad continued its search for opponents; they arrived at the Vyper wreck sight.

In shooting, the mid field tactical marines fired again on the falcon, who was shaken (not stirred). The other tactical marines fired at the guardians, 1 fell to enemy fire.

In assault, the assault marines with chaplain charged the Jetbikes and Guardian Squads. 2 Jetbikes fell as did 5 guardians. Amazingly, both squads decided that it was a good idea to hang around (the reapers were not impressed!). The scouts charged the Fire Dragons who traded blows, 1 casualty a piece (leaving 4 dragons and 2 scouts).

Eldar Turn 4: Fortune on the Dire Avengers. I forget to doom the assault marines. The harlies disembark the falcon and head towards the untouched Tactical Marine squad on the left. The falcon exits stage right to the empty flank. The wave serpent heads to mid field to release a volley on the wounded tactical marines. The Dire Avengers head into the woods once held by the Dreadnaught and Scouts etc and consider helping their melta brethren. The guardians with warlock head towards the hills, to ensure the assault marines charge them well clear of the reapers. The wraithlord and farseer head towards the assault marines. The warp spiders fall back towards the wraithlord and farseer.

In shooting, the Guardians with warlock shoot at the mid field tactical marines for no effect. The wave serpent reduces 1 further marine from the central squad.

In assault, the harlies charge the left field marines; the dire avengers assist the dragons with the remaining scouts. The harlies clear all 4 viable targets. The Avengers massacre the scouts, and consolidate back into the woods. The last remaining jetbike falls to the chaplain, the guardians are reduced to 2 in number, and they flee.

SM Turn 4: The assault marines in midfield finally see something, thus they pursue the falcon. The chaplain splits from the assault squad and goes after the guardians with warlock. The remaining assault marines jump towards the harlies.

In shooting, the tactical squad unengaged fire for no effect on the wave serpent.
In assault, the chaplain takes down 2 guardians from the w/ warlock squad. The Assault marines just make it to the harlies. The harlies strike first; with 4 attacking the assault marines, and 2 on tactical squad. 3 Assault marines fall (1 power fist remains to counter attack), and 2 further tactical marines. In return the combined marine attack takes down 3 harlies (including the Shadow Seer). In a turn of unusually cowardly SM behaviour, both squads terrified of the harlies decide to flee, the power suits work against them here, and they are both run down by the harlies as punishment for the cowardice.

With the Eldar force still largely in tact (the Vyper and Jetbikes the only units off the board), whilst the SM’s have only the chaplain, 1 squad of assault marines, and a depleted tactical squad left, the SM commander yields.

Fortune favoured the Eldar, the wraithlord performance in particular was better than expected.

In my view, the tactical squads were very ineffective, they wasted all fire power attempting to destroy the Falcon and Wave serpent, given they only had 2 shots per turn (per squad) capable of doing this, I thought this was a poor strategy (and hence I continually planted both units in their Los where ever possible!). Poor SM Assault marine use was also a factor as was a greedy Dreadnaught that got a bit too impatient.

This was my first game vs Space Marines (7th game ever), and my first where I felt in control from beginning to end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eld_vd_SM.jpg (21.0 KB, 25 views)
Cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2008, 15:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Eldar vs Space Marines - Battle Report

A nice battle rep, i hope yriel or crazed gives you +1
karma...
Old 10 May 2008, 22:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks Scar.

Does anyone know how to embed an image into the body of a message? The red cross next to deployment above indicates my failure.

I tried using the "Insert Image" button. I then copied the attachment source path used under Additional Options and pasted this between the Insertion Code.
Old 11 May 2008, 03:54   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey Cassius,

Great report! Crazed beat me to the karma (+1).

You can imbed an image by hosting it in a URL. JPG's are best- just find a host (I use a personal webspace for mine), and host from there.

For the battle itself- indeed you were in control from beginning to end. Your opponet was so anxious to charge...anything...that he was biting on any target you threw in front of him, which was buying you valuable time to collapse your line and protect your big money unit- the Dark Reapers. Honestly you were in the drvier's seat- you could have told your opponent what he was eating for breakfast, and what he was wearing tomorrow! Well executed.

A minor mistake was noted:

Quote:
In a turn of unusually cowardly SM behaviour, both squads terrified of the harlies decide to flee, the power suits work against them here, and they are both run down by the harlies as punishment for the cowardice.
Not quite how that normally works out, but that's okay. The Space Marine rule, ATSKNF, means that if you run them down they are then subject to the No Retreat rule, which means armor saves when they are outnumbered.

That's okay though- this guy was basically following everything you wanted him to.

Also- not sure how loyalist marines are getting autocannons in tactical squads, but maybe they were different weapons. It didn't matter at all though- since his target selection was just as bad as his charges.

Congrats on the win!

- Yriel
Old 11 May 2008, 04:04   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Congrats on the win! I think he used his assault marines horribly, being impatient and picking all the wrong targets. However, he didn't have much that could stop your skimmers, as you blew up his predator so early on. A close-range dread seems like a bit of a waste to me, too.

The Wraithlord was pretty ace, blowing up all that stuff

You played smart by blocking assaults with less crucial units, and if you keep up things like that most other SM armies won't be too much of a problem. With Eldar, most of our weaponry is pretty decent at getting past that 3+ save one way or another.

Galvanize - C.M.A.P. represent!
derfderf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 May 2008, 05:56   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Also- not sure how loyalist marines are getting autocannons in tactical squads, but maybe they were different weapons.
They were probably Plasma - still leraning the weapon names for non Eldar races

Quote:
Not quite how that normally works out, but that's okay. The Space Marine rule, ATSKNF, means that if you run them down they are then subject to the No Retreat rule, which means armor saves when they are outnumbered.
Whoops! I didn't know that rule and apparently neither did the SM player, I will pass it on next time I see him.

Thanks for the tips, I will try and post another report in a few weeks after I get toasted next, that way I can find out where I go wrong =)
Old 11 May 2008, 13:09   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Don't worry about the SM mistake- my friend and i always forget some small rules.