Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How good do you think this 2000 point army will be against Tau and Smurfs?
Closed Thread
Old 22 Apr 2005, 07:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default How good do you think this 2000 point army will be against Tau and Smurfs?

I've got some new models and Tau and Smurfs are my main enemy armies so what do you think? By the way this is an Alaitoc Ranger force

Farseer
Fortune
ROW
Singing Spear

Pathfinders x 5

Fire Dragons x 10
Exarch with firepike and tank hunter
Wave serpent with bright lances, shuriken cannon and spirit stone

wraithguard x 6
warlcock with conceal

Rangers x 5

Rangers x 5

Rangers x 6

Guardian defenders x 16
warlock with conceal
Starcannon

Guardian jetbikes x 6
warlock with destructor and shuriken cannon

Vyper
starcannon, holo field and spirit stone

Vyper
starcannon

Wraithlord
starcannon

Dark reapers x 3
Exarch with EMS and fast shot

That comes to 2001 points.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 07:58   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How good do you think this 2000 point army will be against Tau and Smurfs?

lots of starcannons > but you should consider swapping one of the platforms StCannon for a BL ( or better yet the wraithlords). Also for your vypers drop the holofield and take a CTM on both- this will let them survive the game and you won't need SStones's- the +1 on the glance roll is too deadly to waste on a HF (IMO).I would also lose the avatar, especially against Tau ( he's too slow ) and try to take another WS for the wraithguard. This would make for a deadly duo with the firedragons and add some mobility to an solid firebase,( not that the jetbikes and vypers aren't mobile ).
Where do you plan to run the Farseer?
Straight up your list will do better against smurfs than the Tau but against the Tau your jetbikes could be very deadly leading the charge into their lines.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 11:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: How good do you think this 2000 point army will be against Tau and Smurfs?

IMO, you should really consider taking a few more rangers. I would recommened making each squad with at least 8. Rangers have a longer range than Tau pulse rifles, and so should be able to somewhat stay out of harm. Also, they potentially have AP1 against Space Marines, so they can do some damage.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 15:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Against the Tau - I like using the avatar as practically nothing can destroy him once he's in cc. My usual battle plan is to put the wraithguard, warlock, avatar and farseer into the same squad together. (remember that the warlock has conceal and the farseer has fortune >

That will make one squad which will absorb a LOT of firepower. The enemy can't aford to ignore them because they will unleash hell once they reach 12 inches away from the frontlines and still greater hell when they actually reach the frontlines. While weaponry fire is being diverted there - it gives me some cover to get my quicker but lighter units (guardians, guardian jetbikes, vypers and fire dragons in wave serpent up the board with wraithlord punding along, starcannon blazing.

My rangers and pathfinders take out heavily armoured units and Dark reapers go fire warrior hunting. Especially the exarch with his special plasma missile launcher! If I'm playing Smurfs I might change his EMS back for a reaper launcher so they can go normal power armour hunting and also to save me some points.

I probably will swap holofield/spirit stone for CTM - that was the main point I wanted people to pick up on. I might also swap the starcannons on the vypers for scatter lasers (against Tau) - and they can go kroot hunting. My opponent has plenty of kroot - and they should also be good for killing fire warriors as well. However against SMurfs I'd probably leave them as starcannons as they're just perfect power armour killers.

I don't want to give the platform a bright lance as it'll miss half the time but I might give the wraithlord a bright lance...I'll have to see on that one.
Old 22 Apr 2005, 16:29   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The BL was suggested since you have limited long range armour killers, massed Stcannon could bring down a devilfish but what have you got to take out the hammerhead dropping pie plates on your army from his table edge?, or that SM exterminator with multiple heavy bolters or the predator with 3 lascannons picking away at your #1 squad ? ( other than the 2 shots from your DRExarch that need 5's to glance ). a BL that hits on 3's would be nice insurance ( WL ) .
Old 24 Apr 2005, 07:50   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Thanks. You've convinced me

I'll take a bright lance on the wraithlord.