Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wraithgates - Ulthwe Strike Force
Closed Thread
Old 14 Apr 2005, 21:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Wraithgates - Ulthwe Strike Force

I just started an Ulthwe Strike Force army. I was wondering if anyone had a good way of summoning the wraithgates. In my army, I have squad of black Defender Guardians with a support platform (bright lance) and a warlock (with conceal) making the squad 23 in total. This is the squad that I am going to use to summon the gate because of its resilience. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Re: Wraithgates - Ulthwe Strike Force

Interesting. I'm presuming you've got the actual 'Eye of Terror' codex. Could you ****** the actual ****** (I'm not familiar with it!)

[Edit by Restayvien] Sorry, please avoid asking things like that for legal reasons. [/Edit]
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I have played Ulthwe for years and fielded a Strike Force at a couple of tournaments- they are an army that requires a strong constitution to play - they can be nerve racking but are the best "rope a dope" force around. ( for those who are not familiar with that term- your enemy will almost always think that he has you but is not aware that you are holding your best punch for the last 2 turns.)

I can sum up my experience regarding wraithgates: 1) ALWAYS take 2-they are expensive but without 2 your enemy can surround and stuff up your ability to bring your reserves on 2) do not open them until turn 3- that way in turn 4 EVERYONE comes on at the same time <--- this is the key to the strike force!!
3) when opening the gates- spread them out ( not too far !) in either left/right or top/bottom( one close to your edge one near his ) this keeps em guessing about who is coming on from where. 4) before everyone comes on through the gates- carefully pick your targets so you are deploying units where they can do the most damage.

You must be prepared to play EVERY game with only 1/2 of your army for 1/2 of the game. This can be fun if you play the " oh my god I have nothing on the table- you are so going to waste me" card.You must be cagey and a little wimpy in the 1st 3 turns but let me tell you - when the reserves arrive- he will die in droves and hopefully be shocked.

*** one other note- to be usefull you must take advantage of the bargains available- BG platforms are your only heavy weapons( other than vypers)-take as many as you have with small guardian squads to deliver a good punch, and take Maugan Ra- you don't need your opponents permission and nothing is cheesy when you play a strike force- they are so handicapped to begin with.

Good luck, I hope this helps
Old 15 Apr 2005, 16:53   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

don't kill me for the double post but I didn't really answer your question- I give 1 to the seer council and 1 to a warlock w/conceal with a big BG squad, with a missle launcher for added range and versatility over a BL or STcannon.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 12:17   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the tips. I have one other question. I am aiming mostly at 1000 point games. Do you still think that I should have to wraithgates? I only have 2-3 units that will be using them. I also find that in small battles it is hard to keeps control of more than one gate as well as going for the objective.
Old 17 Apr 2005, 18:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

1000 pts is small for a strike force, but 2 wraithgates will still allow you a level of tactical flexibility not possible with 1. I would recommend still taking 2 even though you may find the points sink painful. It comes down to the main point of the strike force- complete ( well almost ) surprise and a quick and devastating blow in the later turns- if your opponent knows who has your only wraithgate he can potentially stop you from accomplishing this. Add this to the surprise factor- if he does not know who is coming from where it is a lot harder to plan a trap- and a lot easier to get caught in one.

Some of my most treasured battle experiences happened with my strike force- I'll never forget the tournament game against a space marine player who said ( in turn 4 ) " I never expected you to do that "
It gave me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside 8)
Another memorable moment ( off topic but brief ) vs. daemonhunters happened when he had completely wiped out my starting force including my Seer Council ( psycannons ouch! ) and the only model I had left on the table was my warlock with the 2nd wraithgate-at this point we had to do a quick rules check because he was being stared down by the justicar from a deep striking grey knight squad ( last wraithgate auto-opens if the model is killed ) .It was the top of turn 6 ( he went 1st ) and I pointed out that he did not have to kill the warlock to ensure 1/2 of my army not even make it on the table. He just looked at me and said " man- he's a grey knight justicar, and that's a xeno-witch " and proceeded to slaughter the warlock, opening the wraithgate. Everyone came on and I wiped out all remaining grey knights, his inquisitor and retinue AND more importantly I won the game!! ( to everyone's surprise especially my opponent !)

If you have any more questions about playing the strike force let er rip and I'll help if I can
Old 18 Apr 2005, 00:18   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Sure I do have some more questions. First, do you recommend vipers or warwalkers. Vipers have more mobility and warwalkers have more firpower. Next, do you think that a wraithlord works well in a strike force army (I was thinking of some kind of unit to divert fire from more valuble units).
Old 18 Apr 2005, 04:36   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Actually wraithlords are not allowed in a strike force, check at the top of the page (47) in EOT codex for units that can be used. I personally have tried playing with vypers and warwalkers and although some may disagree, I prefer vypers.(usually there is not enough points for both but you can take both )
My reason is simple- survivability- warwalkers may get 1 chance to shoot all of their weapons but are fire magnets and are quite fragile. There really is nothing quite like firing 9 stcannon and 3 bl shots ( hopefully guided ) for pure death dealing but points can be better spent in a 1000 pt game.Vypers may also be fragile, but that is why you MUST buy a CTM for each one.Without it they will be dead by turn 2, with it and a little cover to pop behind they can survive all game and be really pesky to your opponent.
In my list I had 2 - fielded as separate FA choices so they don't need to remain coherent ( being in a squadron makes them much harder to hide )
** Another note- although v4 has toned them down ( now targetable behind squads ) D-cannons are perhaps the best killing machines I have ever played with.When guided they are very scary to your enemy.
If you want a solid firebase for your strike force for the bargain basement price of ( check codex ) pts.get some!
Old 18 Apr 2005, 19:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

No wraithlords huh? Oh well, Ill have to rework my list again. Thanks for that. I would have been making a big mistake!
Closed Thread