Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New Warlock and Farseer Psychic Power Ideas
Closed Thread
Old 10 Apr 2005, 14:30   #1 (permalink)
Ethereal

Default New Warlock and Farseer Psychic Power Ideas

Here are some new Warlock and Farseer Psychic Powers that I thought up, what do you think?
Powers with an asterix next to them require a psychic test to cast.

Warlock Powers

Stun* - 10 pts
The Warlock emits a bright flare of psychic energy, blinding the enemy's sight and sensors.
Roll a D6 for every enemy unit within 12" of the Warlock model.
Results:
Vehicles: On a 3+ counts as a 'Crew Stunned' result on the vehicle damage table. Crews already stunned or shaken are not affected.
Troops and Cavalry: On a 4+ that unit is at -1 to hit the Warlock's squad in combat or at range until the end of the next turn.

Healing Aura - 5 pts
The Warlock emits an aura of healing and good health that envelopes him and his squad.
The Warlock and any squad it accompanies may ignore one wound per turn.
Psychic Bolt - 15 pts
The Warlock focuses powerful energies into a bolt akin to a lightning arc.
Counts as a ranged weapon with the following profile:
Range: 24"
Strength: 5
AP: 3
Type: Assault 1

Imbue Hawks Sight - 30 pts
The Warlock is able to bestow extra perception sharpness upon himself and his squad.
The Warlock and the Squad he accompanies add +1 BS to their profile as long as the Warlock is alive.

Farseer Powers:

Path of the Righteous* - 15 pts
The Farseer creates a path of gleaming Wraithbone alive with psychic energy, granting passage only to it's intended targets.
The Path of the Righteous psychic ability is used in the shooting phase.
The Farseer may target any piece of difficult area terrain (such as woodland, or a river) within 12".
Any friendly unit may move across this as if it were normal open terrain). The Line of sight rules (e.f. the rules for seeing into and out of woodland) are not affected.
The path lasts D3 turns.

Psychic Shield* - 25 pts
The Farseer brings up a protective shield around itself, warding off the harshest of attacks.
This power must be cast at the beginning of the Eldar players turn.
The Farseer may not be the target of any Psychic attack this turn, likewise, it may not use any more psychic abilities this turn (even if it is equipped with a Spirit Stone).
The Farseer gains a 2+ armour save until the end of the turn against ranged attacks.
This power may not be used if the Farseer is in combat.
The Farseer cannot shoot the turn that ths psychic power is used.

Psychic Speed * - 20 pts
The target is possesed with an unearthly speed and grace, making it deadly in combat.
The Farseer can target any friendly model within 12".
The target gains +D3 attacks this assault phase.
E.g. A 2 wound model would get an additional D3+2 attacks.
Only the quickest minds can handle the intense exhilleration of this power, therefore this power may only target models with Initiative 5 or above.

Premonition ** - 25 pts
The Farseer is particulalry skilled in the field of scrying the near-future.
A force containing a Farseer with this psychic power may re-deploy one friendly unit after all players have finished deploying.
Alternatively, the player may choose to put one unit into reserve after all deployment has finished, or bring one reserved unit onto the table.
The player may do one or the other, but not both.*

What do you think?*
I thought this might add a bit of variety to the current list of psychic powers available to the Eldar, after all, they are supposed to be potent psykers!
Old 10 Apr 2005, 16:53   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Location: In my secret lair plotting forum domination....hehe
Send a message via MSN to Tau-killer
Default Re: New Warlock and Farseer Psychic Power Ideas

I like all the warlock powers except psychic bolt - it's basically the same as destructor and considering that destructor uses a template you 'get more for your money' as you can hit more enemy models per turn.

The Farseer powers are good (I like psychic speed) but I'm not too sure about psychic shield. That power will be pointless to use most of the time and will only ever be useful if the Farseer is holding an objective but considering that independant characters can't actually hold objectives...it would be good perhaps in a seer council though.
Old 10 Apr 2005, 17:09   #3 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restayvien
Stun* - 10 pts
The Warlock emits a bright flare of psychic energy, blinding the enemy's sight and sensors.
Roll a D6 for every enemy unit within 12" of the Warlock model.
Results:
Vehicles: On a 5+ counts as a 'Crew Stunned' result on the vehicle damage table. Crews already stunned or shaken are not affected.
Troops and Cavalry: On a 5+ that unit is at -1 to hit the Warlock's squad in combat or at range until the end of the next turn.
Don't like it personally, but not exactly impressive.

Quote:
Healing Aura - 5 pts
The Warlock emits an aura of healing and good health that envelopes him and his squad.
The Warlock and any squad it accompanies may ignore one wound per turn.
Good in theory, appauling in practice. Imagine a Seer Council with 10+ Warlocks, all with this ability... needs to be more like 15-20pts per model, and does not ignore Instant Death wounds, or cc attacks that allow no armour saves.
Quote:
Psychic Bolt - 15 pts
The Warlock focuses powerful energies into a bolt akin to a lightning arc.
Counts as a ranged weapon with the following profile:
Range: 12"
Strength: 5
AP: 4
Type: Assault 1
As said already, it's just a re-hashed Destructor.

Quote:
Imbue Strength - 25 pts
The Warlock is able to bestow extra Strength upon himself and his squad when in the fiery heat of battle.
The Warlock and the Squad he accompanies add +1 Strength to their profile as long as the Warlock is alive.
Umm... not a great fan of this. I prefer to see Warlock powers as more subtle than direct. However, I think you should have to take a Psychic Test to activate this.

Quote:
Path of the Righteous* - 15 pts
The Farseer creates a path of gleaming Wraithbone alive with psychic energy, granting passage only to it's intended targets.
The Path of the Righteous psychic ability is used in the shooting phase.
The Farseer may target any piece of difficult area terrain (such as woodland, or a river) within 12".
Any friendly unit may move across this as if it were normal open terrain). The Line of sight rules (e.f. the rules for seeing into and out of woodland) are not affected.
The path lasts D3 turns.
Umm... not sure about this one.

Quote:
Psychic Shield - 25 pts
The Farseer brings up a protective shield around itself, warding off the harshest of attacks.
This power must be cast at the beginning of the Eldar players turn.
The Farseer may not be the target of any Psychic attack this turn, likewise, it may not use any more psychic abilities this turn (even if it is equipped with a Spirit Stone).
The Farseer gains a 2+ armour save until the end of the turn against ranged attacks.
This power may not be used if the Farseer is in combat.
The Farseer and it's unit must remain stationary the turn that this power is used.
The Farseer cannot shoot the turn that ths psychic power is used.
Interesting... however, can I suggest that the Farseer cannot use any other Psychic Powers when this is active?

Quote:
Psychic Speed * - 20 pts
The Farseer is possesed with an unearthly speed and grace, making it deadly in combat.
The Farseer gains +D6 attacks this assault phase.
No. Farseers have no place in close-combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 10 Apr 2005, 17:28   #4 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Don't like it personally, but not exactly impressive.
It's not supposed to be 'impressive', it is, afterall, just a Warlock power.

Quote:
Good in theory, appauling in practice. Imagine a Seer Council with 10+ Warlocks, all with this ability... needs to be more like 15-20pts per model, and does not ignore Instant Death wounds, or cc attacks that allow no armour saves.
It isn't cumulative (I.e. Only one wound can be ignored per turn no matter how many Warlocks have the ability (Just like Enhance). I'll edit my post so that it's clearer.

Quote:
As said already, it's just a re-hashed Destructor
Will change it.

Quote:
Interesting... however, can I suggest that the Farseer cannot use any other Psychic Powers when this is active?
It already says that.
"likewise, it may not use any more psychic abilities this turn (even if it is equipped with a Spirit Stone)."

Quote:
No. Farseers have no place in close-combat.
Have to completely have to disagree here, I mean, Farseers get Witchblades. I'll change it slightly so that it can target Warlocks.

[Edit]
Ok, done.
Changes are:

Increased Bolt range & AP.
Strength changed to BS.
Shield does not prevent Farseer from moving.
Stun is more effective by far.
How's that?
Old 10 Apr 2005, 18:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like the changes but to be honest I prefer the warlock increasing the strength rather than the BS.* BS 5 wraithcannons?* It sounds great but it seems to be too overpowered.* Also I can't imagine people being too thrilled about BS 5 black guardian defenders.* *I think that guide is better for helping* squads hit.

I see nothing wrong with increased strength.* Warlocks can already increase WS and I for 15 points so why not strength for 25 points?

I agree with Restayvien about cc.* If GW hadn't intended them for cc he wouldn't have given them witchblades/singing spears.
Old 11 Apr 2005, 18:19   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

I like all of the these psychic powers, they're fluffy and effective, and add a lot of interest to the Far Seers choices without being too overpowered. Man, a psychic speeded avatar, it would be my number one strat. ;D Stun and hawk's sight might be overpowered. I love the choice of lightning arc, it allows for more custimization, (am I facing orcs or space marines?) and taste preference, we have our mass destroyers and our snipers.
Old 12 Apr 2005, 17:42   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I personally think that these powers are all great ideas. I think that they may still need some changes, especially to hawk's sight (too overpowered). When they do redo the codex, eldar seers should definetely get a phychic boost. I mean, the SM Librarian beats them in psychic powers. And the eldar are supposed to have the most poten psychers in the entire game!
Old 12 Apr 2005, 20:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

they used to...they used to...but soon we will be back where we belong >
Old 13 Apr 2005, 22:36   #9 (permalink)
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Wargamer

If Games Workshop wanted Farseers in assault, they would have more than 1 Attack basic on their profile... Witchblades are a defensive weapon, a deterrant against anyone who would like to splatter the Farseer's skull across the flank of a Falcon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Norman
"Wargamer is never wrong, Frodo Baggins; he knows precisely the rules he means to."
Old 14 Apr 2005, 00:38   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I like them all except for Psychic Speed. Can you imagine this on a Wraithlord? A lucky roll would give it 12 attacks total, 13 on the charge! And what about a Seer Council with multiple Farseers... Using 'Augment' from Warlocks, it's concievable that you could be adding up to 27 attacks to a Wraithlord within 24". The average roll would be lower of course - but still formidable.

I think that the old rules for suping up the Farseer him/herself were better. I think the 'no place in assault' idea is a non-argument, original purpose should not be a barrier to new ideas, and in any case, I've seen plenty of Seer Councils tear up foes in assault.

Also, I've always thought that Craftworld Eldar should have some pre-battle benefits from the prescient abilities of the Farseers. Maybe add a power that allows for some redeployment after the normal deployment phase.

If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

[i]All statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

- A public service clarification by the Sri Syadasti School of Spiritual Wisdom
Closed Thread