Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Starting Eldar Army - Need a few tricks of the trade for 1750 -2000 army
Old 06 Jan 2008, 07:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Starting Eldar Army - Need a few tricks of the trade for 1750 -2000 army

I have been purchasing Eldar items here and there in the hopes of completing it this summer. I have been purchasing one kit at a time since the codex was first released.

Eldar I have: Two Eldar boxed armies (released with the new codex) New Harlies (10), 6 Classic Harlie Jetbikes, 8 jetbikes 2 with shurcannons, 6 Banshees (may get rid of these), 6 Striking Scorpions, Dark Reapers, and Pathfinders. Falcon Cloudstrike(is on the way). I have a few extra bits given to me and I think a complete Wave Serpent as well.

I know this topic seems kind of broad, so I'll give you an example of what I am looking for and I am not talking about Fluff either.

I am not asking for a army list but Eldar hints or tactics in either modeling or gaming.

From what I have read, I needed to do some changes to my Harlie unit.
Ex.
1) Shadowseer has been modified with greenstuff to give him a Kiss.
2) Always take Star Engines in Wave Serpents in order to do in order to Blitz.
3) Harlequins-Looks like I should always take 2 units in 1500 points & above.

This army will be a Tourney army only so I will be taking great care to paint it well. I will change it up to a somewhat friendly army (maybe) with my gaming group.

I know there are quite a few knowledgable ELDAR players our there. I know who most of you are! (been reading everything I can) But I am sure there are things that I may have over looked or need to look into.

links are welcome

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Wolf-Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Jan 2008, 23:28   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Starting Eldar Army - Need a few tricks of the trade for 1750 -2000 army

I am not sure 2 or 3 are gimmes.
For number 2 it depends on what is in the serpent. I myself run a squad of avengers in a serpent with EML. For the first few turns I move 6-12" and use the EML to soften up the enemy. Then turn 4-6 I tend to move in and drop off the avengers while I keep shooting. So I rarely move more than 12". about the only times I do is if I am shifting to a different flank or am shaken and getting the heck out of dodge.
For #3 I am not sure harlies are a must have unit, either. my 1750 list has dragons in my falcons and I either forgo assault units completely or use a squad of spears.

I do agree that going mech is a solid way to go. Falcons are tough as nails and loaded up right they still do damage even if they can't shoot. Then supplement your force with a serpent or two (avengers or possibly banshees). For the remaining points you can add in some mobile fire support like jetbikes, spiders, vypers, etc. It sounds like you are leaning towards mech and so this is the way I'd go if i were you.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 03:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Starting Eldar Army - Need a few tricks of the trade for 1750 -2000 army

Thanks for the heads up Mordekiem.

I do plan to run my Eldar similar to my Mech Tau. I have been thinking of just building everything I have (no paint) and see what I really like. Working on my jetbikes and HQ right now.

If you have the time, how do you run your HQs slots and why?

Thanks for the help but I think this thread will die soon due to it being so board and not specific enough.

WT
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 07 Jan 2008, 06:18   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, for your HQ, I like to use them to support the rest of my army. The Farseer can snipe out anything within a 32" range, Re-roll hits, wounds or saves, or cause blasts. The Warlocks come with the farseer, and are basically a flamer squad. Then there is the underated Autarch. These can be useful to add some extra CC or LR punch to an aspect squad, and if you are running Mech Eldar, you can use him to help in Escalation, to incraese your reserves. Finally we wrap up with the mighty Avatar. He's big, bad and can even squash the mighty Daemon Princes. The problem will always be with Delivery.

I personally use either a one power Farseer (Guide-seer with War walker, Fortune-seer with Harlies) or a spear-tarch (Jetbike, Mandiblasters, Laser-lance) These both have purposes, but don't expect them to be able to take a squad alone! We Eldar have the most powerful suport HQs but we don't have the retinues that some do, so we have to be careful.

I agree with Mordekiem on your thoughts on the Eldar. Harlies are nice, but I've never used more than one unit. (Though I know lots of people that do.) And Star engines are good, but it depends what you want the tank to do. Playing Mech is a good way to play the Eldar, though you'll need lots of Jetbikes and Wave Serpents, and be warned, people hate the Falcon.
Old 07 Jan 2008, 06:55   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to Esque

If you want a really big (point sink) HQ you can go with two farseers and up to 10 warlocks on jets with varying powers. They are unstoppable with witch blades, doom and templatepowers, sniping ability, rerollable leadership and rerollable invulnerable saves of 4+ AND jetbike saves of 3+/+1 toughness, plus loads of flamers and shining spears to boot... It will cost you too! Both in points and in conversion time, and in money. But they are quite hard to do anything about when they are there, and due to their extreme movement, these guys can really dictate the game's progress. They can even turbo boost to make their (rerollable) jetbike-save invulnerable too, for extra cheddar...

I tend to use a single farseer though, with fortune if he's in the field with my avengers, but sticking him with the harlies sounds like a good idea. Otherwise he can guide prisms or warwalkers from afar, making them immensely (I mean, ouch) shooty. You can field up to 6 scatter lasers of 4 shots each. Thats 24 shots, 12 hits, and 6 additional hits after rerolls. There, 18 S6 hits...

I also like using an avatar, as he can really dictate a lot of firing and movement on the board. You have a circle around him where you can be sure not to find too many enemies, as they tend to avoid him like a c'tan. Thats a move+charge distance away to all sides, giving you about 24" diameter centered on him where you can really dictate enemy doings.

I rarely use autaches, for the simple reason that I cant use warlocks unless I have a farseer, and I like the avatar for the above mentioned reason. They are probably worth it though, if you kit him out right, but he too should be used in support. No basic eldar has enough T or S to go toe to toe with a decent sized squad or monster by themselves, with no backup, so he shouldnt be used as such.

I hope I helped, didnt state the obvious too blatantly
Old 07 Jan 2008, 18:49   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

In my mech list a jetbike farseer is a must. Set up like so:
Farseer, jetbike, singing spear, guide, doom, spirit stones.
If you face alot of psykers then you can toss on runes of warding, but I don't run across that many and the few that I do don't really scare me that much. I love this set up and never leave home without it. the jetbike lets her keep up with my tanks and transports. The spear gives her a little bonus anti-tank if something gets too close. Guide and Doom both improve my firepower immensely. My list did ok, until I added the farseer then it took off.

Lately I have added an autarch with a squad of shining spears. Set up like so:
Autarch, jetbike, lance, mandiblaster
and include a squad of:
5 shining spears, exarch with starlance, withdraw and skilled rider.

I am not 100% happy with the Autarch and spears. I got them to deal with fast pesky enemy units that got into my backfield. They work pretty well, but sometimes they got nothing to do. So my plan right now is to drop on from the squad to make it 4. And add a shuricannon to the exarch and a reaper launcher to the autarch. This way they can move shoot move and still be safe while waiting for the badguys to get close.
Old 08 Jan 2008, 11:49   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Thanks guys, that is something I have not really considered using, a jetbike Autarch/Farseer.

I saw a great conversion of a Farseer with magnets by Redbeard. I might have to do one with a Autarch/Farseer on a jetbike. I personally hate hacking up models but I have the bits to do one. (Ordered the bits long ago before GW started to sell the complete model)

I am still leaning toward the Mech Eldar list with a static firebase as the anchor. Avatar and Guardian/starcannon unit behind him.

WT
Old 08 Jan 2008, 17:07   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A static firebase can be really tricky to run alongside a mech unit.

See, the mech side, you're paying a lot of points for your mobility. Those are points that are not being spend on being generally killy.

So, your firebase is going to lose out against someone elses firebase in a heads-up shootout. It's also not likely to have enough ooomph to withstand enemy rushes, which become easier for your opponent as the static part cannot just up&leave like the mech part can.

This hybrid configuration is, in my opinion, the hardest of all to run. Fully mechanized, you're counting on out-maneuvering your opponent. Fully static, you're planning to outgun them. But, mixing the two, you dilute both strategies.

I ran into this at the tournament I just attended, in two different ways.

In my first game, my static position was a liability. Facing a horde army that I had little hope of cutting down completely before they got to me, I had this static section that hurt me more than helped. That left me with

In the last game, I faced an enemy who had also decided to run a hybrid mobile/static list. In this case, I was able to outmaneuver him and destroy all his static elements in much the same way that I'd suffered in the first game, leaving him far too little mobile assets to accomplish much.

Now, there can be other reasons for doing this. I wanted to get specific models on the table for appearance purposes. But, if you're just looking for effectiveness, I think that if you run more than two skimmers, you should really try to run all mobile, and if you're running a static position, you should limit the amount of points that you're putting into mobility instead of guns.
redbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2008, 17:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf-Tau

From what I have read, I needed to do some changes to my Harlie unit.
Ex.
1) Shadowseer has been modified with greenstuff to give him a Kiss.
2) Always take Star Engines in Wave Serpents in order to do in order to Blitz.
3) Harlequins-Looks like I should always take 2 units in 1500 points & above.

Always use the halequins kiss because it is rendering and can take down lots of men and try to keep it on the table above many other men because of how useful it can be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Online at: 19:13 25/09/09

ChilliMasta you are the best poster on this forum well done have a Karma! :P
ChilliMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Jan 2008, 11:21   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
A static firebase can be really tricky to run alongside a mech unit.

But, mixing the two, you dilute both strategies.

Thanks Redbeard, I am used to running a Mech Tau list with a static Kroot fire base and a unit of 10 FWs, but then again both units only run about 220 points in a 1750 list.

I had planned to use the same type of strategy with the Eldar. I had planned a small firebase with Guardians and Avatar. I hoped to set these up either as an advancing unit to take an objective, to hold table quarter or diversion (depending on terrain) in order to split up my opponents army. While the rest of my army maneuvers to take advantage.

I had hoped a Guardian unit of 12 or so and an Avatar would be durable enough to hold their own until my Fast skimmer units could take advantage.

Would this still be too much static points spent on a Mech Eldar army?

WT